Post bacc or 2nd bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Little Soldier

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so basically I have a degree in advanced science from The university of Sydney and I want to go to med school in the U.S. The problem is that even though my bachelors is internationally recognised, my subjects are not (My gpa can't be considered equivalent to the U.S. Systems) and I also need to study for 1 year in the U.S. to be eligible to apply to most med schools. I just want to know if it is better to do a post-baccalaureate pre medical program at Harvard (very high acceptance rate into the program and a high acceptance rate into med schools from what I hear) or Columbia University (Same thing, relatively easy entrance into the program and from what I'm told a 90-95 percent matriculation rate into med schools) or get a second bachelors degree which, unlike the 1 year post-bac programs, would take me 2 years(I can get credits from my Bachelors) . What do you think will better my chances? and What would you rather do, considering the better lifestyle a second bachelors would bring and the ability to apply for scholarships during the 2 years I would be studying as an undergrad (post-baccalaureate courses have no on campus housing and minimal sponsorship programs)? and I'm also eligible to do a Masters in Science at NYU, so what do you guys think would be best from those 3 options?
 
you can do a second bac prereq program in 1 year as well.
columbia is not easy, they make sure people who don't cut it don't finish to avoid tarnishing their reputation.
why do u wanna come to the uS? australia has EXCELLENT medical education.
 
you can do a second bac prereq program in 1 year as well.
columbia is not easy, they make sure people who don't cut it don't finish to avoid tarnishing their reputation.
why do u wanna come to the uS? australia has EXCELLENT medical education.

I would like to hear the answer to this question as well, as my perception of the capitalized portion of the statement is that it is correct; they are also an incredible deal financially even for foreign students.

Australian medical schools are probably the only non-U.S. medical schools I have given serious consideration as to whether I will apply when it's time to submit applications. As I am strongly invested in primary care/gynecology in underserved urban areas and have no preference for MD/DO, I would certainly prefer an American DO medical school over an Australian school as I would like to practice here, but I can't say I have entirely ruled them out...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey. Whoa. Two COMPLETELY SEPARATE THINGS.

Thing one: presumably non-US citizen wanting to go to med school in the US. 1st priority is citizenship. Search SDN for Scottish Chap. Advice for US citizens doesn't apply. AT ALL.

Thing two: US citizen eyeballing Australia for med school. No way is this cheaper than US med school. Very very similar to Carib med school, in terms of how hard it is to survive & get a US residency.

Carry on.
 
Hey. Whoa. Two COMPLETELY SEPARATE THINGS.

Thing one: presumably non-US citizen wanting to go to med school in the US. 1st priority is citizenship. Search SDN for Scottish Chap. Advice for US citizens doesn't apply. AT ALL.

Thing two: US citizen eyeballing Australia for med school. No way is this cheaper than US med school. Very very similar to Carib med school, in terms of how hard it is to survive & get a US residency.

Carry on.

@DrMidlife In response to thing two: This is very pertinent information. I have a friend who went to medical school there when he was forty (he is forty six, so he matriculated approximately six years) ago, and he highly recommended it due to the quality of education he received and the cost (approximately $15K). However, to be fair, he practices primary care in Philadelphia, in an underserved community, (which is along the lines of my own interest) and six years ago was at the height of the recession. Or he could have just be inadvertently coloring the past... In any instance, thank you for your insight.
 
OP, the programs that you listed (Columbia and NYU) are at two of the most expensive universities in the country and in the highest cost of living area in the country. Be sure to weigh the financial impact of these two programs and whether or not the actual benefits outweigh to costs.