Post-bacc or Masters HELP ME, PLEASE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisapickle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am truly between a rock and a hard place here and would really appreciate anyone time and opinion. let me layout my situation:

First 1 year of college I failed 4 courses <-- I was responsible by not attending class drunk the problem was that left no classes for me to attend <-- will probably leave this bit of info out the pers. stat.
After the first year things got a little better but not amazing here are the stats:

Chem I = C II= C Lab= B
OCHEM I=B II= A Lab= B
Bio. Intro. I=A II =B
Cal. = C
Physics I=C, II=B <-- took adv. Phys
Eng.= B
Sci.- 2.8 Overall- 2.75

- Not amazing I know, my upper level sciences is a bout a 3.3.
- My EC's aren't great--> std. shadowing, volunteer, I did take time off between 1st and 2nd years to play golf professionally.
- Alot of research --> 1 paper now maybe 2 or 3 in next year.
- After grad. --> I am doing an internship at top cancer hospital; next sem. I will enroll as non-degree at medical school.
- I have not taken mcat <-- taken practices and scored in upper 30's but not real thing

MY PROBLEM: What do I do to get into med school: would a post-bacc help, should I do a special masters, would a traditional masters in a molecular science do any good. Please somebody help. I really appreciate any help. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that most would agree that you should do a post-bacc to get your UG GPA higher. Your EC's sound good - bring up that GPA and get an MCAT in the books.

You need a PB. You may also need to retake both semesters of bio although you did relatively well if the class did not include a lab section. In addition I would retake the full year of physics and general chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have an opnion on which program would suit my situation. THANKS AGAIN!

Search around for threads on choosing a formal or informal program, then try to narrow down a list from there.

I would disagree with the others. From what I've heard, a PB is good if your grades were really terrible, which they're not. They're not med school stuff, but they're not terrible. If you do a PB, then you'll redo classes you've got B's and C's in. You'll HAVE to get A's because that's the only place you can go from there. If you do, it doesn't stand out too much, if you don't then it's really damaging.

My opinion is that you enroll in a Master's program. That way it's graduate work, considerably more challenging than undergrad. Also, do well on the MCAT and exhibit that you have a solid understanding of the premed courses.

Ideally, a PB, with all A's followed by a Master's with high grades would be in order, but I'm assuming you dont want to graduate medical school in a decade. Because at that point you might as well go to the Carribbean, study for your Step 3's for a whole year and then take them.

The best investment of your time would be a Master's program.

I am truly between a rock and a hard place here and would really appreciate anyone time and opinion. let me layout my situation:

First 1 year of college I failed 4 courses <-- I was responsible by not attending class drunk the problem was that left no classes for me to attend <-- will probably leave this bit of info out the pers. stat.
After the first year things got a little better but not amazing here are the stats:

Chem I = C II= C Lab= B
OCHEM I=B II= A Lab= B
Bio. Intro. I=A II =B
Cal. = C
Physics I=C, II=B <-- took adv. Phys
Eng.= B
Sci.- 2.8 Overall- 2.75

- Not amazing I know, my upper level sciences is a bout a 3.3.
- My EC's aren't great--> std. shadowing, volunteer, I did take time off between 1st and 2nd years to play golf professionally.
- Alot of research --> 1 paper now maybe 2 or 3 in next year.
- After grad. --> I am doing an internship at top cancer hospital; next sem. I will enroll as non-degree at medical school.
- I have not taken mcat <-- taken practices and scored in upper 30's but not real thing

MY PROBLEM: What do I do to get into med school: would a post-bacc help, should I do a special masters, would a traditional masters in a molecular science do any good. Please somebody help. I really appreciate any help. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

First things first - get that MCAT done. That's going to make a difference in your next move.

Most grad programs in general have a 3.0 minimum requirement for enrollment. That means with a 2.75 overall, you don't have the option of a Masters program, normally. Having said that, *some* programs will make GPA cutoff exceptions if you can show an upward trend of some kind (that demonstrates you are clearly better than a 2.75) and you have an outstanding MCAT. My cume was a 2.95 or so (after one year of post bac) and I had an upper middle 30's MCAT. I was accepted to Gtown SMP.

So, get your MCAT done. If your score is as high as you think it may be, you *might* be able to go straight into a Masters program. That is going to be your best bet for getting into med school, in your situation. If you don't get that outstanding score (and, possibly even if you do) you will probably need to do a year or so of Post Bac (taking Upper level BCPM classes you've never taken before) to raise your GPA, and *then* do the Masters program.

PM me if you have questions. Our stats and situation are very similar.

Rock and Hard place take 2!

Next semester I am accepted into a graqduate program as a non-degree at a Texas medical scholol. I can take 9 graduate hours and maybe get in some research,<-- The program is kinda weak and has no real affilation with the medical school OR I can continue my internship with a highly respected PI in clinical Hematology lab <-- During this time I can get some MCAT study and clincial experience but no classwork. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK??????????

Does anyone think I have a chance at Drexel MSP? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES THEY HAVE REALLY GIVEN ME MUCH NEEDED GUIDANCE!

Rock and Hard place take 2!

Next semester I am accepted into a graqduate program as a non-degree at a Texas medical scholol. I can take 9 graduate hours and maybe get in some research,<-- The program is kinda weak and has no real affilation with the medical school OR I can continue my internship with a highly respected PI in clinical Hematology lab <-- During this time I can get some MCAT study and clincial experience but no classwork. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK??????????

Does anyone think I have a chance at Drexel MSP? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES THEY HAVE REALLY GIVEN ME MUCH NEEDED GUIDANCE!

Well, I can't speak to Drexel's MSP, so I'll leave that for someone who knows about it...

Frankly, I don't really care for either of those options, as far as getting you into medical school. I don't believe either one really addresses your core issue, which is your GPA. The problem with a Graduate Program (what classes would you take, anyway?) is that most Adcoms look at grades from Grad Programs as being inflated. It is very difficult to get a C in a grad class, since a C is usually failing. As a result, even if you get a 4.0 in a normal grad program, it doesn't look as impressive. That's why an SMP of some kind is so significant. They are well known to be more representative of a med school style class and they are generally known to be more rigorous.

However, since you still need to take the MCAT, I would recommend the research option (since it will give you time to study for the MCAT) and blow out the MCAT. Then I would sit down and re-evaluate your options. In your case, if you really want an MD degree from a US school (vs. a DO or a foreign MD) I truly believe that an SMP is what you're going to need.

Don't do the research with the Hematonc guy. While he may be respected you will not improve your major deficit, GPA. Even if you were to get a 38 you would be very hard pressed to get in to med school with a ~2.7.

The grad program is a better option, but since it is not affiliated w/ the med school it is also a weak option.

As to IMrep's assertion that grad classes are generally easier, I have to disagree. Many grad classes are more rigorous than med school classes it just depends which school and course you are talking about. The important thing is to take the classes at a school with an affiliated med school.

I too would lean toward the SMP. Whatever you choose you HAVE to take some classes to show continued improvement. While a 3.3 for your upper level courses is an improvement, it is still below the national average for cummulative GPA. Do well on the MCAT but you cannot rely on that getting you in; a good MCAT alone will not get you in.

For people with low GPAs, VCU/MCV has a 1 year graduate certificate program where you take most of the 1st year med curriculum. It is the program I did and it got me in that year (I had ~2.8 and a 33R).