Post-bacc or SMP?

Started by level1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

level1

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I've been reading over this forum and would love some current advice. My cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA 2.9/3.0. I've taken the GRE was V 151 Q 151 A 3.5. My weaker science courses were all of my elective molecular & cell biology courses during UG. Do you think an SMP can give me more options after completion? I'm thinking if I got a masters and didn't get in I could teach and reapply. The post-bacc could help me with that sGPA, but for the cost it wouldn't help me more than my B.S. Any and all advice appreciated! 🙂
 
Hey guys,

I've been reading over this forum and would love some current advice. My cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA 2.9/3.0. I've taken the GRE was V 151 Q 151 A 3.5. My weaker science courses were all of my elective molecular & cell biology courses during UG. Do you think an SMP can give me more options after completion? I'm thinking if I got a masters and didn't get in I could teach and reapply. The post-bacc could help me with that sGPA, but for the cost it wouldn't help me more than my B.S. Any and all advice appreciated! 🙂
Smps are outrageously expensive as well. If you have at least a year of high grades then go ahead and apply. Otherwise, work on that first (and get your science GPA over a 3.0!)
 
Hey guys,

I've been reading over this forum and would love some current advice. My cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA 2.9/3.0. I've taken the GRE was V 151 Q 151 A 3.5. My weaker science courses were all of my elective molecular & cell biology courses during UG. Do you think an SMP can give me more options after completion? I'm thinking if I got a masters and didn't get in I could teach and reapply. The post-bacc could help me with that sGPA, but for the cost it wouldn't help me more than my B.S. Any and all advice appreciated! 🙂

Postbac programs are great depending on how many classes you would need to really repair your gpa. I did a Postbac and had no luck getting in, I then did an SMP and got in. SMP's are expensive of course, but I think if you are fairly certain you can come in and knock it out, then it is a good option. Many people fail in SMPs, so be very cautious. Also only go for an SMP that has a good linkage like RFU, Toledo, UCinn, EVMS, etc. Thoroughly investigate each of these programs and see what is right for you. Also realize these programs change every year, for example, I know Toledo had some drama this year. Just keep an eye out and do your homework on the SMPs.