POST BACC QUESTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaching19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a 3rd year in my undergrad. I am planning to enroll in a postbacc program before med school to enhance my academic standings and better prepare me for the mcat. However, I am wondering if I should take physics (which I will be taking in my senior year) since I will be taking it for my post bacc anyways. I certainly do want to take it, but I do not want to take the risk at the same time and jeopardize my gpa since its already in a state where I need to work on it more immensely. So I would like some advices and feedbacks on what I should consider doing. THANKS! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to say it like this, and I hope it doesnt come across as harsh, but at some point, you need to take courses that will jeopardize your GPA. If you are thinking about not taking physics now when youre in relatively easy classes, why do you think it would be easier when you are in your masters? Just graduating from the master's does not help. You need to do very well in it. I would take all the science courses you can at this point as they can only help you down the road. Work your ass off now and try to bring up your GPA. You need to have a good GPA in order to even get into these masters programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate to say it like this, and I hope it doesnt come across as harsh, but at some point, you need to take courses that will jeopardize your GPA. If you are thinking about not taking physics now when youre in relatively easy classes, why do you think it would be easier when you are in your masters? Just graduating from the master's does not help. You need to do very well in it. I would take all the science courses you can at this point as they can only help you down the road. Work your ass off now and try to bring up your GPA. You need to have a good GPA in order to even get into these masters programs.
Thank you! I definitely get your point here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I definitely get your point here.
I hope I wasnt too harsh. If you dont mind me asking, what is your uGPA? I am looking at Master's Programs right now and I can tell you a lot of them have a hard cut of 3.00. The SMP at Georgetown has an MCAT cutoff of 505. I dont want you to fall in the trap of thinking a Master's will save you. You need to get in first, and then do well from there on out. However, @Goro or @tammyp may be able to offer you some advice as they both gave me good advice in the past!

If its the only hard science course you're taking for the semester I would say take it. While @Mightyheracross is right, you can't avoid taking difficult classes, you can optimize your chances for success. If you feel like you'll struggle with physics, don't take any other hard science courses if you have that freedom. Best case you do really well in and boost your gpa a little and you'll be in a good place for your post bacc. But if you don't think you'll get at least a B in the class, I wouldn't take it.