Post bacc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've read through all the threads I've could that apply to me, but I'm still left with a few questions, any help would be great.

I'm a senior psychology major who has decided that I want to take psychology one step further and go to med school to eventually practice psychiatry. I transferred to my current college (Manhattanville college, which coincidentally has a post bacc program) from a community college obtaining a 3.4 GPA for my 2 year stay. At Mville I have gotten a 3.7 first sem, 3.3 second, but it is this semester that is worrying.

This semester I have a class that is likely to get me anywhere from a C-B-, and I was considering a withdrawal from it, which would be my first W. So, my question essentially has a few parts to it:

What are my chances for programs such as Columbia, NYU, Tufts, Boston, Harvard Extension, Goucher and possibly Bryn? One possibility, without the W is a lower GPA this semester, most likely resulting in a yearly GPA of a 3.3-3.5 if I really concentrate. Another, with a W, gives me a better GPA.

Next semester I will be interning, most likely at a Mental hospital nearby, but this will be my first set of field experience. I really have the drive to get into this profession, and I want to make it work anyway possible. I know non-structured programs are a possibility, but I'm the type of person that really needs structure to do well.

Thanks for the time, all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I've read through all the threads I've could that apply to me, but I'm still left with a few questions, any help would be great.

I'm a senior psychology major who has decided that I want to take psychology one step further and go to med school to eventually practice psychiatry. I transferred to my current college (Manhattanville college, which coincidentally has a post bacc program) from a community college obtaining a 3.4 GPA for my 2 year stay. At Mville I have gotten a 3.7 first sem, 3.3 second, but it is this semester that is worrying.

This semester I have a class that is likely to get me anywhere from a C-B-, and I was considering a withdrawal from it, which would be my first W. So, my question essentially has a few parts to it:

What are my chances for programs such as Columbia, NYU, Tufts, Boston, Harvard Extension, Goucher and possibly Bryn? One possibility, without the W is a lower GPA this semester, most likely resulting in a yearly GPA of a 3.3-3.5 if I really concentrate. Another, with a W, gives me a better GPA.

Next semester I will be interning, most likely at a Mental hospital nearby, but this will be my first set of field experience. I really have the drive to get into this profession, and I want to make it work anyway possible. I know non-structured programs are a possibility, but I'm the type of person that really needs structure to do well.

Thanks for the time, all.

Are you trying to apply this fall or next?

The first few programs you mentioned will probably take you, but you'll be sorely disappointed if you're expecting top-notch advising and a high level of structure. Goucher and Bryn Mawr are unlikely for you, but if you do a lot of impressive things between now and the time you apply, you might have a slim chance.

Also, I know you didn't ask so forgive my intrusion, but are you aware that in practice psychology and psychiatry are really surprisingly different fields? I just couldn't help but notice you described psychiatry as "one step beyond psychology" and I'm afraid that's just not accurate. Psychology is the academic study of human behavior and, clinically, involves a lot of therapy and cognitive testing (you probably know all this). Psychiatry is very much a medical specialty which, these days, centers around pharmacology, imaging and neuroscience, with very little talk therapy. Not to mention, trust me, medical school will be almost unbearable if all you're interested in is human behavior. Most psychiatrists enjoy science and medicine and very much value being a physician above all.

Last edited:

Well, I'm going to apply for this fall, see if I'm taken anywhere, and apply for the following fall if I don't get in. During the year off, if I'm not accepted, I will conduct more research or follow up on my internship.

As for the second point, no apologies needed, my expression was poorly made. I understand the differences full well, and am also considering a possible PhD/MD program eventually, but time will tell. I'm more interested in the scientific (chemical/biological) reasons behind disorders and such, and can see both research and practice as a career choice. Therapy was never really a want of mine, it was either research through a PhD, or working at hospitals and possible research with an MD.

Edit: Would just also like to note that I am still wondering if a Withdrawal is a good option for me, so the class doesn't hurt me. And thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Forget MD/PhD - you wont get in... its even more competitive than MD programs (at least from the stats ive seen).

Forget MD/PhD - you wont get in... its even more competitive than MD programs (at least from the stats ive seen).

Wow, even with good post bacc grades? Doesn't it also depend on what PhD I pursue? But I'm honestly not incredibly worried about that currently, more worried about post bacc.

Well put it this way;
Average successful MD applicant has a cGPA of 3.65 and a 31 MCAT

Your 2 years at CC count for squat in the overall scheme of things because anyone who has the same grades from a 4-yr is going to have an edge over you. You don't have the grades to get into a top post bac, so even if you ace'd it - you'd still not be a definite for med school.

And then consider MD/PhD is more competitive.... the Md/PhD's I know had 4.0 and a 37 MCAT literally.

Also, before you say you'll get a 35+ on the MCAT, less than 5% of all applicants get a 35+, so you have to ask yourself - are you better than 95% of people taking it considering that the avg successful applicant gets a 31, and the overall avg applicant has a 27/28?

Not try to dream-kill, but a dose of realism is often needed

Well put it this way;
Average successful MD applicant has a cGPA of 3.65 and a 31 MCAT

Your 2 years at CC count for squat in the overall scheme of things because anyone who has the same grades from a 4-yr is going to have an edge over you. You don't have the grades to get into a top post bac, so even if you ace'd it - you'd still not be a definite for med school.

And then consider MD/PhD is more competitive.... the Md/PhD's I know had 4.0 and a 37 MCAT literally.

Also, before you say you'll get a 35+ on the MCAT, less than 5% of all applicants get a 35+, so you have to ask yourself - are you better than 95% of people taking it considering that the avg successful applicant gets a 31, and the overall avg applicant has a 27/28?

Not try to dream-kill, but a dose of realism is often needed

Nah, it's fine. I understand that nothing is a definite, especially with medical school, all I can do is try my best and hope it works out. Since you seem to be well read on your stats, do you think I'd have an alright chance getting into programs on the level of Columbia or tufts? Also, I'm curious if you have an opinion on my Withdrawal issue. Thanks for your input.

Nah, it's fine. I understand that nothing is a definite, especially with medical school, all I can do is try my best and hope it works out. Since you seem to be well read on your stats, do you think I'd have an alright chance getting into programs on the level of Columbia or tufts? Also, I'm curious if you have an opinion on my Withdrawal issue. Thanks for your input.
Well its hard to get an idea of your cGPA - put all your classes in excel with their credits, and calculate it. Or find a GPA calculator. there are bunch floating around on SDN or the web.

Loosely Id say yes, you'd have chances at both tufts and columbia. BUT you couldnt pay me to go to columbia (i suggest reading some of the horror stories) and Tufts is the 2nd best program in the city of Boston behind HES.
HES in infinitely cheap, and better, and accepts like everyone - so I personally think its foolish to go to Tufts when you could go to HES.

And i had a W on my application and have multiple medical school applications. just dont get any more.

Well its hard to get an idea of your cGPA - put all your classes in excel with their credits, and calculate it. Or find a GPA calculator. there are bunch floating around on SDN or the web.

Loosely Id say yes, you'd have chances at both tufts and columbia. BUT you couldnt pay me to go to columbia (i suggest reading some of the horror stories) and Tufts is the 2nd best program in the city of Boston behind HES.
HES in infinitely cheap, and better, and accepts like everyone - so I personally think its foolish to go to Tufts when you could go to HES.

And i had a W on my application and have multiple medical school applications. just dont get any more.

Since my last year isn't finished, I'd say my cGPA will end up somewhere in the 3.5 range (3.3-3.6 most likely). Oh, and I've taken 2 sciences, due to a CC requirement, 3.0 science gpa, A in bio C in physics, the C I can retake if necessary.

The W will be my only one, I don't know if it matters, but as I mentioned it's my senior year, and it's a Psych class that I've just not clicked with, this semester has been rough personally.

As for schools that would accept me, and offer a good chance toward med school, I really want to be in NYC. So Columbia and NYU are my top picks, even if they aren't the "Best" programs.

Just wanted to say thanks again, your responses are really appreciated.

I love The City, too, but as rob alluded to, Columbia has a serious feed-you-to-the-wolves reputation. Big bucks to attend and vicious competition for two full years while you're there.

But, if you can hack it and somehow end up on the top of the pile, they'll get you into medical school. There are several Columbia postbac alums in each class of my med school.

Just make sure you have your priorities straight. If location>>>structure/guidance, then Columbia might be your answer.

Since my last year isn't finished, I'd say my cGPA will end up somewhere in the 3.5 range (3.3-3.6 most likely). Oh, and I've taken 2 sciences, due to a CC requirement, 3.0 science gpa, A in bio C in physics, the C I can retake if necessary.

The W will be my only one, I don't know if it matters, but as I mentioned it's my senior year, and it's a Psych class that I've just not clicked with, this semester has been rough personally.

As for schools that would accept me, and offer a good chance toward med school, I really want to be in NYC. So Columbia and NYU are my top picks, even if they aren't the "Best" programs.

Just wanted to say thanks again, your responses are really appreciated.

I love The City, too, but as rob alluded to, Columbia has a serious feed-you-to-the-wolves reputation. Big bucks to attend and vicious competition for two full years while you're there.

But, if you can hack it and somehow end up on the top of the pile, they'll get you into medical school. There are several Columbia postbac alums in each class of my med school.

Just make sure you have your priorities straight. If location>>>structure/guidance, then Columbia might be your answer.

Okay, thanks. Considering the other schools I listed, what would be a more structured program? Is NYU more structured?

Just wanted to mention, I just got back talking to the professor of the course from which I considered withdrawing, he has made me consider just sticking it out. He is giving the class a take home exam for grade boosting, does anyone have an opinion on the withdrawal or gpa in relation to my post bacc chances? Sorry for double posting.