Post-Bacc & Special Master's Programs (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turbounit1

Reaction score
Hello first post here. I am currently a senior in undergrad with a less than stellar gpa and I haven't yet taken the DAT currently studying for it but I wanted to ask about Post-Bacc programs and SMP programs that help you get into dental school by helping to raise your stats. Has anyone completed or is currently enrolled in one of these programs? If you have completed it, could you roughly tell about your experience and if it helped you get into dental school? I noticed some of these schools advertise successfull matriculation rates while others don't which is kind of concerning. I also realize that some of these programs are also for students wishing to enroll in other professional schools such as medicine, PA, pharmacy, etc. Also if there are any that I am missing please feel free to share and add them! The programs I have come across are the following:

Boston University - Ma
ster of Science in Oral Health Science
Master of Science in Oral Health Sciences | Graduate Medical Sciences/

Nova Southeastern University - Master of Biomedical Science
Master of Biomedical Sciences

LECOM - Master of Biomedical Science
Master of Medical Science/

Regis University - Master of Medical Science
Biomedical Sciences Master's Degree | Regis University

Loyola Marymount University
Pre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate Program - Loyola Marymount University/

Temple
Postbaccalaureate

University of Pennsylvania

Midwestern AZ

Midwestern IL

Tufts

Barry University

Rutgers

Scripps College

NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I completed UPenn’s Pre-Health Program (career changer, Core Studies) and was accepted to dental school this cycle. I was one of the few pre-dental students, and all others (pretty much) were pre-medical students. Because I was a non-traditional career changer with no science background, I took all prerequisites including lab (gen chem 1/2, bio 1/2, physics 1/2, ochem 1/2, and biochem - no lab). I completed the program in 2 years with 3.8 gpa, but I found the classes very challenging. Some classes had high-performing Penn undergrads (not helpful when the class is curved - example: my gen chem 102). Most students study part-time and have a day job since there are many research positions available at Penn. I also studied part-time (~12 credits), had a full-time job, did ER internship at Penn hospitals (6-12 hrs a week) for one year, and shadowed a dentist (4-6 hrs a week) for one year. Personally, I think the classes helped me prepare for DAT well because they are challenging. I spent less than 2 weeks preparing for DAT and scored a 22 AA. UPenn’s Pre-Health Program was expensive but did get me into dental school. However, I don’t think program will necessarily help you raise your stats. One good thing about this program is that some students have a research job at Penn Medicine and receive tuition benefit (https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay/tuition/tuition-benefits-for-faculty-and-staff). By the way, the professors are awesome, and the advisors are always willing to help you. I received a pre-health committee letter (with individual recommendations from the vice-chair of EM research, bio professors, physics professor, and a dentist).

Hello! I completed UPenn’s Pre-Health Program (career changer, Core Studies) and was accepted to dental school this cycle. I was one of the few pre-dental students, and all others (pretty much) were pre-medical students. Because I was a non-traditional career changer with no science background, I took all prerequisites including lab (gen chem 1/2, bio 1/2, physics 1/2, ochem 1/2, and biochem - no lab). I completed the program in 2 years with 3.8 gpa, but I found the classes very challenging. Some classes had high-performing Penn undergrads (not helpful when the class is curved - example: my gen chem 102). Most students study part-time and have a day job since there are many research positions available at Penn. I also studied part-time (~12 credits), had a full-time job, did ER internship at Penn hospitals (6-12 hrs a week) for one year, and shadowed a dentist (4-6 hrs a week) for one year. Personally, I think the classes helped me prepare for DAT well because they are challenging. I spent less than 2 weeks preparing for DAT and scored a 22 AA. UPenn’s Pre-Health Program was expensive but did get me into dental school. However, I don’t think program will necessarily help you raise your stats. One good thing about this program is that some students have a research job at Penn Medicine and receive tuition benefit (https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay/tuition/tuition-benefits-for-faculty-and-staff). By the way, the professors are awesome, and the advisors are always willing to help you. I received a pre-health committee letter (with individual recommendations from the vice-chair of EM research, bio professors, physics professor, and a dentist).
Hi,
when you say non-traditional career and no science background. Does that mean you had no prereqs prior to applying to UPENN pre health program. Is the UPENN program considered a Postbacc ? thank you! & also congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
when you say non-traditional career and no science background. Does that mean you had no prereqs prior to applying to UPENN pre health program. Is the UPENN program considered a Postbacc ? thank you! & also congrats!
Hello!
Right. I had no prereqs prior to applying to Penn Pre-Health Program.
Yes. Penn Pre-Health Program is a postbac program.
Thanks!

I just applied to UPenn's program. I just wanted to ask how long did it take you to hear back after you submitted your application? Thanks!

I just applied to UPenn's program. I just wanted to ask how long did it take you to hear back after you submitted your application? Thanks!
Hi! I received my interview invitation 3 days after I submitted the application. And I heard back 10 days after the interview.