Post-Baccalaureate pre-health program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicnicinc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is low. I have spoken to the Optometry school about that. They said they will not interview me even if I have high OAT score( I have not yet taken OAT). They suggested me to take the Post-bacc pre-health program. If any one are in such a program? Anyone taking it in hunter or brooklyn college?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the different between formal and informal post-bac?

There is a post-bacc forum on SDN under Interdisciplinary Forums. They might have answers to some of your questions! I didn't have any idea what a post-bacc program even was! I thought it meant taking any classes after you have your first degree! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
have you considered applying to other schools? i'm assuming you spoke to SUNY since you mentioned cuny and brooklyn. i think suny is one of the most difficult schools to beaccepted to (small class size)

idoc2b said:
have you considered applying to other schools? i'm assuming you spoke to SUNY since you mentioned cuny and brooklyn. i think suny is one of the most difficult schools to beaccepted to (small class size)

Acutally, I need to get into the post-bacc program first to boost GPA because my GPA below 3. I think no opt school will take me. :(

hello, I was reading one of the posts on this site and I know that some students have been asked to interview with a gpa below 3.0 and some even accepted. what schools have you applied to, try more than one. also work on other areas to help you get in. try shadowing an optometrist, get involved in many extracurricular activities, volunteering work, and the oat too. also recommendation letters are important. develop a good relationship with one or two of your professors, science and nonscience. the opinion of a professor/professional weighs heavily on your application. work on becoming a well rounded candidate and youll be fine. defiency in one area can be made up in other :)

I dreamed to go to SUNY. I live in NY. I can not afford living out of the state and pay out of state tuition. Suny recommended me to go to post-baccalaureate program. The post-bacc is actually allow people to retake science courses after earning their degree. That is a rip off. :(

VCU has a one year certificate program that is designed for people aspiring to go into health related fields, who need that extra help with their GPA after undergrad. The catch is the program is hard as hell (it's a graduate level program).

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/gp/premed.html

ayznshorti said:
VCU has a one year certificate program that is designed for people aspiring to go into health related fields, who need that extra help with their GPA after undergrad. The catch is the program is hard as hell (it's a graduate level program).

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/gp/premed.html

Thanks for telling me about the VCU program. However, I can not afford to move to virginia. :(

nicnicinc said:
My GPA is low. I have spoken to the Optometry school about that. They said they will not interview me even if I have high OAT score( I have not yet taken OAT). They suggested me to take the Post-bacc pre-health program. If any one are in such a program? Anyone taking it in hunter or brooklyn college?

thanks nicnicinc, i too am on the same boat as you are. l will contact my desired opt school as well and ask if post-bac program is recommended. if i find anything i will be sure to let you know here.

nicnicinc said:

I am not sure but I guess this program is the same as the one I am taking now. It is called Post-degree program that is taking courses after bachelor. I do not have a high GPA, also I have graduated a few years ago. I want to higher my GPA and refresh my academic knowledge, it would help studying for OATas well.