post-baccs for predent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tk232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior at an Ivy League Institution. I graduate in May, and am scared to death. I want to eventually become a dentist, but I know that my GPA would not be competitive for admission into dental schools. I currently have a 2.8 (probabaly would be above at least a 3.0, but I had two sub 2.0 semesters where I did absolutely nothing), and am currently looking at post-baccaulaureate programs. I have not taken the DATs yet.

I noticed that a lot of people on this website have a lot of helpful information for premeds. I was just wondering if predents should apply to the same post-baccs? I've been looking into the programs a lot, and it seems to me, many programs are specialized towards premeds.

I realize that I am just rambling on, but I am really worried at this point.
Here are some questions I would appreciate getting answered.

1) What are some post baccs that are good for pre-dents to go to?

2) What can I be doing/planning to improve my chances of getting into dental school?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply. T.T :scared: :confused: :(

Members don't see this ad.

tk232 said:
I am currently a senior at an Ivy League Institution. I graduate in May, and am scared to death. I want to eventually become a dentist, but I know that my GPA would not be competitive for admission into dental schools. I currently have a 2.8 (probabaly would be above at least a 3.0, but I had two sub 2.0 semesters where I did absolutely nothing), and am currently looking at post-baccaulaureate programs. I have not taken the DATs yet.

I noticed that a lot of people on this website have a lot of helpful information for premeds. I was just wondering if predents should apply to the same post-baccs? I've been looking into the programs a lot, and it seems to me, many programs are specialized towards premeds.

2) What can I be doing/planning to improve my chances of getting into dental school?

Penn!!! I am not pre-dent but there are a few pre-dents in this program

tk232 said:

I'm looking for the same thing you are, if you hear from anyone please Private message me as soon as you get information on it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Pre-Med and Pre-Dent are essentially the same except I believe dental schools list biochem as a necessary pre-req more often than med schools do. Any advice you receive on this board that applies towards med students will work fine for you as well. Personally I'm completing a second bachelor's in Bio because it offers me the best registration options and I don't have to be locked into a timeline.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Mack

tk232 said:

It's actually quite easy what you need to do. First, shadow a dentist for an afternoon or two to make sure you really like the profession. Make sure that you can see yourself doing this every day.

Next, you just need to take all of the required courses and get A's in all of them. Some people may post about going to a fancy private school (like Goucher or Bryn Mawr) that have high rates of getting in. But in my opinion, I don't think they're worth the money. I was a resident of Massachusetts, so I took my pre-reqs at UMass Boston, and it was a lot cheaper. So whatever state you're in - check out your public university and see if you can take classes there. As long as you get A's in your classes, get decent recs, and do well on the DAT, you'll get into dental school. It really doesn't matter where you do your post-bacc. That's my opinion, and it is based on my own experience. Good luck.

ncalcate said:
It's actually quite easy what you need to do. First, shadow a dentist for an afternoon or two to make sure you really like the profession. Make sure that you can see yourself doing this every day.

Next, you just need to take all of the required courses and get A's in all of them. Some people may post about going to a fancy private school (like Goucher or Bryn Mawr) that have high rates of getting in. But in my opinion, I don't think they're worth the money. I was a resident of Massachusetts, so I took my pre-reqs at UMass Boston, and it was a lot cheaper. So whatever state you're in - check out your public university and see if you can take classes there. As long as you get A's in your classes, get decent recs, and do well on the DAT, you'll get into dental school. It really doesn't matter where you do your post-bacc. That's my opinion, and it is based on my own experience. Good luck.

I believe she was referring to post-bacs for people who has already taken the pre reqs before. What post-bacc schools are there for people who's taken the science courses already, and u're just taking them to enhance your application? Are there Schools that give out a Masters program where they are also linked with a dental school in where if you do acceptional well you get a seat in the incoming class at the end of the post bacc /masters? Are there any post-bacc programs that are linked w/ a dental school, so you don't have to wait a year in between to get in, and that you get in right after you finish your post-bacc?

tk232 said:

You may still have a shot....take a look at the predent thread the largest one on there is the "under 3.0 club" All you need to do is take DAT and get above 20-21 on all the sections. I would give it a shot esp. from an ivy league school. Apply REALLY early (like May when AADSAS opens)

Here is a link of post-bac programs, you could do one from this summer till next year (when you will have interviews) and you could show your grades to the schools so that you can show improvement...good luck!
http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

there were a few pre-dents in my program at loyola in chicago.

miraj112 said:
Are there any post-bacc programs that are linked w/ a dental school, so you don't have to wait a year in between to get in, and that you get in right after you finish your post-bacc?

Can someone please answer this, as I too was very curious to find out if such an option was possible. Aside from a postbac program linked to a dental school, is there any other way than one can eliminate or lessen the time of the dreaded 1 year gap after taking DAT's?

I know a pre-dent postbacc in my bio class at USC.

tk232 said:

Went through the same thing. Unfortuantely dental schools don't care where you went to school. If you have A's or B's from a less competitive school and C's and B's from top tier schools they will take the higher GPA eventhough the level of work at the Ivy school is way more taxing. Barry University in Miami Shore, FL has a post grad program just for these cases by you must get straight A's in the program for the dental schools to consider you. :(

There are a lot of pre-dental students in the post-bac here at Virginia Commonwealth University. You'd be taking masters level classes for one year, if u have a 3.0 or better at the end of the year you receive a certificate. If you want to take two years and get a masters, you can do that as well.

miraj112 said:
Are there Schools that give out a Masters program where they are also linked with a dental school in where if you do acceptional well you get a seat in the incoming class at the end of the post bacc /masters? Are there any post-bacc programs that are linked w/ a dental school, so you don't have to wait a year in between to get in, and that you get in right after you finish your post-bacc?

Nova Southeastern University - College of Dental Medicine

http://medsciences.nova.edu/