Post college work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshfl83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am finishing up a military career right now. I left college in my junior year and became an officer as well as an Ah-64 apache pilot. I have done this for 5 years and one combat tour. I completed my degree while deployed from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University with a 3.4. I have to complete some of my pre reqs this next year. My question is do you think that me finishing my degree distant learning will affect my chances for admissions? I went to the school for two years but did about a 2.0, withdrew from some courses. The last two years I maintained a 4.0. My se nod question is, will my officer and being a military aviator that is an elite program to get accepted into benefit my application? I graduated flight school number one in my class of around 60 as well. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings everyone,

My se nod question is, will my officer and being a military aviator that is an elite program to get accepted into benefit my application? I graduated flight school number one in my class of around 60 as well. Thank you for your time.

I would post this in "what are my chances?" opposed to "re-applicants". I'm a newbie and don't know the answer, but hopefully an admin can give you a good response!

Greetings everyone,

I am finishing up a military career right now. I left college in my junior year and became an officer as well as an Ah-64 apache pilot. I have done this for 5 years and one combat tour. I completed my degree while deployed from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University with a 3.4. I have to complete some of my pre reqs this next year. My question is do you think that me finishing my degree distant learning will affect my chances for admissions? I went to the school for two years but did about a 2.0, withdrew from some courses. The last two years I maintained a 4.0. My se nod question is, will my officer and being a military aviator that is an elite program to get accepted into benefit my application? I graduated flight school number one in my class of around 60 as well. Thank you for your time.

-3.4 is below average, but absolutely decent considering everything else
-distance learning is balanced out by military career
-a combat tour is a good EC
-your year-by-year GPA is pointless unless it shows a strong upward trend. Recalculate cGPA and sGPA by incorporating ALL classes you have TAKEN and been given a grade. This is how the AMCAS does it.
-being an elite military aviator is a good EC and will take you far and long

Missing from your list: Clinical experiences. MCAT.

I do not know what your degree is, but if you haven't taken the prereq classes and done well on them, I can't even predict your MCAT. Without those factors, we (and more important, med schools) cannot predict your academic qualifications: Do you have the smarts and dedication to finish med school?

If, by the time you obtain and MCAT score, you find that your stats aren't up to the task (unlikely), there is that medical school in Bethesda (http://www.usuhs.mil/) that will give you preference.

Do make sure that you want to go into medicine before starting the long journey, though.