What should I work on for potential reapplication/school list for reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YodaPineapple

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hopefully the WL turns out for you. You have time to double your clinical hours. You likely will need that since there are not many new schools you can add that haven't seen your past app. Working as a CNA, scribe, etc would be fastest but you can likely volunteer at hospice too and gain 150-200 hours there in the next 4-5 months since you are no longer in school. Personal experience as a patient or a sick family member can be a good motivation for why medicine, but often is not enough to show you are capable of working with sick people with no relation to you.

Work on interview skills. That seems to be the bigger issue if you ended up with 6 II overall. You can likely do mock interviews with either the pre-med office or Career Services office at your undergrad as an alumni. If the MS was at an SMP/program meant for pre-professional students, they should offer this service too.

I suggest:

All FL schools
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
BU
Dartmouth
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
EVMS
VCU
Emory
Hackensack
Jefferson
Mayo
Wisconsin (Madison)
Northwestern
Iowa
Brown
Tufts
Tulane
UVA
Vanderbilt
Wake
WashU
Saint Louis
Western Michigan
Vermont
Illinois (high OOS tuition FYI)
Colorado

I'm not so worried about Casper except as a marker of your MMI performance at schools that use them. To that end, you need to work on Casper prep earlier and consistently on situational questions. Did you use our Casper/SJT forum?

What feedback did you get from your SMP faculty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! @chilly_md

I was thinking of volunteering as a medical scribe at a free clinic for the uninsured near me. How do I frame this in such a way that it doesn't look like I'm just doing it because I needed to reapply?(i.e by the time I apply and hopefully get the position I'll begin volunteering in march/april right before submitting in June) Or is this something I can't be worried about?

Similar question for writing update letters. Let's say I start this volunteering in March. Should I include this in a WL update letter or will they find it similarly disingenuous? Should I just keep it simple and stick with a basic letter of intent/love letter at my top choice WL?
No use worrying about it because you will need the extra hours and March is likely the earliest you would be able to start.

Do not put it in a WL letter. You won't have gathered significant hours for the job.

Reactions: 1 user