Post Cycle Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYK33AllDay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering what everyone would suggest doing if I couldn't get in to dental school this cycle. I've had 3 interviews but I am a worst case scenario person. First interview went sort of rough, just because I was nervous it being my first one, however, I don't think I bombed it. The other two I thought went well.

Just curious of your guys "back up" plans. Whether it be a masters, post bacc, etc...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do some assisting. I didnt get in this past cycle and started assisting. Best decision I ever made..if I could go back and get in the first time I would would opt to still take the year off to assist. Ive learned so much invaluable information about how to run a practice as well as picked up on so many clinical techniques from the various doctors I have assisted.

Reactions: 1 user
Do some assisting. I didnt get in this past cycle and started assisting. Best decision I ever made..if I could go back and get in the first time I would would opt to still take the year off to assist. Ive learned so much invaluable information about how to run a practice as well as picked up on so many clinical techniques from the various doctors I have assisted.
That seems like a great option. Thanks for sharing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it depends. I decided to pick up a few bio classes to give me a better foundation I would need for dental school. Others may need more clinical or lab experience. Look at what would make you a better candidate next year than this past cycle and focus on that area. Good luck.

By assisting u mean shadow? Or go and be a certified RDA?

But to become an assistant don't u need to do like a year of classes and stuff?

I don't know what all the state laws are like but in Washington all you needed to do was register with the state health board and you could work as an assistant. I took a 10 week weekend course to learn a bit while I was in undergrad. After I graduated I picked up a job as an assistant, but the classes were not necessary. Most dentists/staff teach you on the job.

Definitely, varies from state to state. Here is a list of requirements and different levels of certification for each state: Search by State

Many states allow you practice as a dental assistant without a license. You get paid less ($15/hour) if you are unlicensed and don't have certifications but still great work experience. Key thing is to find a dental office that will hire/train you.

What are your stats? I'm asking because if you're stats are good and maybe you just had a bad interview, you might not have to do much in terms of GPA. Being a DA would be great, but not sure how many offices would hire someone to do on the job training (depending on state law). Another thing I would suggest is take Spanish classes if you don't speak it already. It's gonna help depending where you end up. And even if you end up somewhere where Spanish isn't that big, you can always take those skills to an all inclusive in Cancun. Just sayin.

What are your stats? I'm asking because if you're stats are good and maybe you just had a bad interview, you might not have to do much in terms of GPA. Being a DA would be great, but not sure how many offices would hire someone to do on the job training (depending on state law). Another thing I would suggest is take Spanish classes if you don't speak it already. It's gonna help depending where you end up. And even if you end up somewhere where Spanish isn't that big, you can always take those skills to an all inclusive in Cancun. Just sayin.
I got a 3.67 oGPA, 3.72 sGPA. 20 AA/21 TS. I don't think my interviewing skills are the issue. I thought all my interviews went well. Like I said I am a worst case scenario person, so I just want the peace of mind of being able to improve for next cycle (If hypothetically I don't get in). Have interviewed at 3 of the 12 places I applied, haven't heard back from the other 9.

I got a 3.67 oGPA, 3.72 sGPA. 20 AA/21 TS. I don't think my interviewing skills are the issue. I thought all my interviews went well. Like I said I am a worst case scenario person, so I just want the peace of mind of being able to improve for next cycle (If hypothetically I don't get in). Have interviewed at 3 of the 12 places I applied, haven't heard back from the other 9.
I would totally try to learn Spanish if ish hits the fan.