Post Doc hours question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppsAintNoThang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently in California, doing my post doc. It ends sept 1st, but I will have the minimum hours earlier. CA only requires a 10 month post doc for licensure. I'd like to get licensed ASAP, but I would also like to complete requirements that will be as portable over state lines as possible.

My thought was that I'd fill out my hours verification forms at 10 months and get licensed here. Then, if I move to a state tbat requires 12 months and more hours, I would just do new paperwork that takes into account the full year of postdoc and the additional hours I'd have obtained that year.

Am I missing anything that might prevent this approach and bite me in the butt later? A peer told me that my verification form in CA was binding, and would follow me to any other state- so if it said I did 10 months, I'd be out of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about the "binding" thing. I am licensed in two states. I had to completely fill out the paperwork and verification forms again for the second state. Nothing about my first license transferred over as I had not yet met the time requirement to have the seniority waiver.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why what you're describing would be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone in my postdoc cohort did that. She submitted all the paperwork early and was fully licensed a month before the end of the training year. She still completed the full 12 months of postdoc and got her completion certificate, so if she needs to get licensed in a state down the line that requires 12 months of postdoc training she has that documentation. It's also not uncommon for neuropsych folks to get licensed before the end of their two-year postdocs.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone in my postdoc cohort did that. She submitted all the paperwork early and was fully licensed a month before the end of the training year. She still completed the full 12 months of postdoc and got her completion certificate, so if she needs to get licensed in a state down the line that requires 12 months of postdoc training she has that documentation. It's also not uncommon for neuropsych folks to get licensed before the end of their two-year postdocs.

Awesome, thank you!

Not sure about the "binding" thing. I am licensed in two states. I had to completely fill out the paperwork and verification forms again for the second state. Nothing about my first license transferred over as I had not yet met the time requirement to have the seniority waiver.

Thank you!

I don't see why what you're describing would be a problem.

Yeah, I'm basing my question on the feedback I've received from peers- the idea, like I described, that the initial state's paperwork somehow is a permanent representation of your postdoc hours. Sounds like that idea is most representative of typical grad and post grad catastrophizing. :)