Post Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions:

If I am offered post-housing do I pay rent for that housing or is it deducted from my BAH?

I am thinking of doing residency in Hawaii and I am trying to figure out what monetarily is best.

I can rent a place for 1200-1500 or buy a place for about the same on a 30 year note. I could also just take military housing option. How does that work for, do they deduct it? If they do rent does anyone know where I coudl get the rental rates?

Members don't see this ad.

texdrake said:
I have a few questions:

If I am offered post-housing do I pay rent for that housing or is it deducted from my BAH?

I am thinking of doing residency in Hawaii and I am trying to figure out what monetarily is best.

I can rent a place for 1200-1500 or buy a place for about the same on a 30 year note. I could also just take military housing option. How does that work for, do they deduct it? If they do rent does anyone know where I coudl get the rental rates?

If you take post housing you are not paid BAH. You don't have to pay anything towards the house, except cable and telephone I think. (Could be wrong here). I'm pretty sure they pay for electric and water, that kind of thing.

Basically you lose out on BAH, but you're getting free housing.

If it were me, I'd take the buy option, at least you're building equity that way, unless the price to purchase is too high for your salary w/ BAH.

The above is correct. On base housing, you get to stay for "free", but you do not get BAH. They pay for utilities, but you pay for phone and cable. That was my deal in Gitmo.

Now, if you leave a dependent somewhere, meaning you are a geographical bachelor(unaccompanied orders), you get base housing for free, but you will get BAH for where ever you leave your dependent.

While I was in sunny Cuba, my first son was born, and because he was in Norfolk, I started receiving BAH for Norfolk, while continuing to live for free in Cuba.

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
The above is correct. On base housing, you get to stay for "free", but you do not get BAH. They pay for utilities, but you pay for phone and cable. That was my deal in Gitmo.

Now, if you leave a dependent somewhere, meaning you are a geographical bachelor(unaccompanied orders), you get base housing for free, but you will get BAH for where ever you leave your dependent.

While I was in sunny Cuba, my first son was born, and because he was in Norfolk, I started receiving BAH for Norfolk, while continuing to live for free in Cuba.

I see, well I will definitly request off-base housing. My other question is, if I am married, can the army force me to take base housing or can i just fill out the form, say no thanks i would rather receive BAH... I would prefer to buy a condo their if I can find one, and even if I can't the BAH would easily cover utilites and rent with more to spare so I am not interested in helping out the Army fianancial department.

texdrake said:
if I am married, can the army force me to take base housing or can i just fill out the form, say no thanks i would rather receive BAH... I would prefer to buy a condo .

The army can DO anything they want. The army doesn't care what you prefer.

However, it is unlikely that the army will MAKE you take base housing.