Post-interview communication for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mededed

Reaction score
So I know it's debatable the role of thank you letters after interviews, I never used to do them before. But I'm applying for a fellowship in a small field, I wonder if it is more noticeable if I don't send a thank you letter?

For programs that are not among my top choices, how do you format the letter? How would you conclude the letter other than "I plan to rank you highly..." or "I look forward to hearing from you...," etc. There are several programs on my list I would be happy to match at, but I don't want to be dishonest and say they are my top choice.

I know I'm overthinking this, but from what I've heard, there seems to be more of a "game" to the fellowship process compared to residency. And I don't have many connections coming from a community resident program, so I'm just nervous in general.

Also, when do you recommend my PD contact programs on my behalf? After the interview, or closer to rank list submission deadline?

I appreciate any advice. There is just way more info out there on applying to residency compared to fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying for fellowship just yet, but I would recommend sending thank you letters. I used to think they didn't matter that much but for some smaller programs, it's definitely noticeable. In regards to telling them ranking - I would just say 'I would love to be a part of your program and enjoyed..." whatever aspect you liked about them.

I can't answer the PD contact questions but I would imagine leaving it too close to rank list submission deadline - the list would have been done by then.

Really no different than residency ...do them...don’t do them.

Will people notice? Probably...but will it make a difference...eh...

As others have said, you're overthinking this. You may as well send the thank you letters just because it seems like you will stress over NOT doing so, but it's unlikely to make a difference.

Would ask your PD if they have a time where they normally reach out on residents' behalf. If they don't, and it seems like something that is expected in your field, then maybe about halfway between your interview and rank deadline? Again, probably doesn't matter.