Post-Interview Communication Thread 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silver907

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope this doesn't incite anxiety. I'll start.

Penn: No response to thank you
UCLA: Personal response to thank you
UCSF: General recap email after interview

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who believes this forum can be very helpful on a number of issues, I'd offer my opinion that this thread can only make people anxious, and provides no helpful information....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What on earth could this do other than to increase folks anxiety and fear?

If you find out someone received correspondence from a program you did too, you get nothing from it (other than potentially feeling less special).

If you find out someone received correspondence from a program and you did not, you feel slighted or ignored.

Nothing good will come of this.

Reactions: 1 user
I would encourage the applicants to not read too much into programs' responses to emails.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't get replies to hardly any emails. I sent out 30 and received 2 replies. One said, "Nice meeting you..............." No idea what to make of all those periods at the end.

I didn't get replies to hardly any emails. I sent out 30 and received 2 replies. One said, "Nice meeting you..............." No idea what to make of all those periods at the end.

Wikipedia describes 4 uses for the ellipsis, so there are 4 interpretations of the program director’s use of four ellipses:

1) Intentional omission that retains the intended meaning of the text: the sentence was an abbreviated form of a longer, more thoughtful email that essentially meant “it was nice to meet you”

2) An unfinished thought: the program director has 4 unfinished thoughts (you fill in the blank)

3) A pause: in approximately 4 ellipses worth of time, you will receive another email

4) A feeling of melancholy or longing: you’re either “do-not-rank” or “ranked-to-match” depending on whether s/he intended melancholy or longing

I sent out handwritten cards to some programs because I didn't want to get roped into a back-and-forth email chain. Each card was personalized to include something specific from my interview interaction with the intended recipient. Also, I hand wrote my TY cards to give them a sample of my handwriting because a lot of places still have paper notes.

Stony Brook: PD sent me an email thanking me for my card
WashU: Letter in the mail (this was before I had a chance to send in my card)
Temple: Got invited to a post-interview resident reception (I don't know if they invited everyone they interviewed or intend to rank but I'd say about 40 candidates attended the gathering)

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing? Crickets?

Did programs back off on this sort of thing this year?