Post-interview Event: to go or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerkey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I received an invitation from a FM I interviewed at inviting I guess interviewees back for another restaurant social/information session. I don't know if I should attend considering flight costs, or if events like these are common and are really meant for home-base med students. I didn't have many interviews and I would like to improve my chances, so I would go if it makes a difference for ranking at all but I am looking for any opinions out there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If distance is a problem, I'd just send them a nice note thanking them for the invitation, but explaining why you can't come. It shouldn't affect your ranking unless they're weird (in which case, you'll dodge a bullet).

Reactions: 1 user
If you are one of the handful out of the hundreds interviewed that the program invited, you should go, especially if you have low score/is a repeat applicant/few interviews things like that. In selecting just a handful it means you are most likely in their top half and they would like a better idea of how to rank you. If the invite was sent to everyone then it may not be that signficant.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are one of the handful out of the hundreds interviewed that the program invited, you should go, especially if you have low score/is a repeat applicant/few interviews things like that. In selecting just a handful it means you are most likely in their top half and they would like a better idea of how to rank you. If the invite was sent to everyone then it may not be that signficant.

Thanks guys for the responses!

There's no indication on the invitation that only a portion of interviewees are invited - is there a way to ask this or is it really up to me make the decision to fly there? Does anybody know if post-interview events like these are common in FM?

Thanks!

In my program this wouldn't affect anything. I would never expect someone to fly for a second look. I know a couple of residents came for a second look at our program and it didn't influence me to think of them any more highly. I would express your interest via email.

It definitely is a chance to show your interest and help your ranking at some programs. Second looks are sent to A) people we're very interested in or B) wasn't 100% sure about them at the interview - but could be a good candidate with a so so interview day. These are not sent out to everyone, about 25% or less. If it were me, I would go because if I didn't match I would hate wondering what if I had gone......

We invite everyone unless we are convinced to not rank after your interview.

Its just going to be a couple cocktails and conversation.

I wouldn’t fly for it unless you were worried about your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I received an invitation from a FM I interviewed at inviting I guess interviewees back for another restaurant social/information session. I don't know if I should attend considering flight costs, or if events like these are common and are really meant for home-base med students. I didn't have many interviews and I would like to improve my chances, so I would go if it makes a difference for ranking at all but I am looking for any opinions out there.

Thanks!

Some places either invite everyone or only the select percentage they're interested in. Since there's no way to know and I wouldn't ask, and it sounds like you didn't get much in the way of invites, I would try to go unless it was particularly financially prohibitive. For people at my program, I'd say its 50/50 for the ones that matched and went to 2nd look and the ones that didn't go. That said, its probably a selective sample, because those really interested in the program are more likely to go and rank it higher as a result.

I didn't go to most of them. Then again I only want 2 / 10 of my programs I interviewed at...