Post Interview INVITE Updates better before or after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have several interview invites, 2 of which I have already interviewed at and 4 which are scheduled next year.
I am thinking of sending a few updates to these schools I will interview at in the future and was wondering if it would be better to send them after I interview at the school or before I interview?

It may be better to send before since I don't want to send something at the last minute and be too late (some interviews are in February), but sending after may be more logical since it adds one more push for my app.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

You already have the invites. Go sell yourself, make your case why you should get that A and then reinforce it after the interview with your update(if the school accepts update). Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about sending an update (new publication, 100s of additional volunteering hours) in a thank you letter to the schools I interviewed at but adcoms on SDN have said that interviews are scored before the letters are even received and that thank you letters do nothing to help your app. And on the application portal of one of the schools I interviewed at it says applicants are encouraged to send updates BEFORE the interview. I got the sense that as soon as your interview is complete, your app will have been assigned an overall score/your fate will have been decided. WELP. But I can still send these updates if I end up waitlisted

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about sending an update (new publication, 100s of additional volunteering hours) in a thank you letter to the schools I interviewed at but adcoms on SDN have said that interviews are scored before the letters are even received and that thank you letters do nothing to help your app. And on the application portal of one of the schools I interviewed at it says applicants are encouraged to send updates BEFORE the interview. I got the sense that as soon as your interview is complete, your app will have been assigned an overall score/your fate will have been decided. WELP. But I can still send these updates if I end up waitlisted
The moral here is that it is incumbent upon all candidates to actually lift a finger and go to school's Admissions websites and/or listen to the Admissions people for info on updates. Some schools love them, and others don't want to be bothered with them.

But as a rule of thumb, save them for after the interview and only if they have really important info, like a semester of good grades, a major award or scholarship, or a publication/presentation.

You just starting a new job is a time waster.

I can all but guarantee your interviewer will say something along the lines of “is there anything else you’d like me to pass along to the adcom”.. just tell them your update there

Reactions: 1 user
You are going to interviews; why are you even considering sending in updates?
1) Updates now before interview? how is that going to have an impact? you already have gotten the interview invite. JUST TELL THEM AT THE INTERVIEW
2) Update after the interview? JUST TELL THEM AT THE INTERVIEW

I guess for the small chance that it doesn't get passed along at all or it gets passed on in a way that doesn't accurately represent what was said.

I can all but guarantee your interviewer will say something along the lines of “is there anything else you’d like me to pass along to the adcom”.. just tell them your update there

I would! But also I feel as though if the school is receptive to updates, then keeping in contact with the school through these update letters shows that I really see the school as my top choice and not just one I'm holding on to as a backup? I'm not sure if that's how it works though

You are going to interviews; why are you even considering sending in updates?
1) Updates now before interview? how is that going to have an impact? you already have gotten the interview invite. JUST TELL THEM AT THE INTERVIEW
2) Update after the interview? JUST TELL THEM AT THE INTERVIEW
I can think of multiple interviews where I was never asked "is there anything else you would like to add" or otherwise any opportunity to share additional info. Also, MMI days make that impossible too.