Post Interview Rejection Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocketScientist05

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some advice on improvement for this current cycle. I was lucky enough to receive 8 interview invites so far. I've attended 7 so far and getting ready for the 8th. Unfortunately, from the schools I have heard back from so far, I've had 3 rejections and 1 waitlist. I'm kind of bummed because a few of the schools I interviewed on the first day as well. I want to say not interviewing well played a role in my outcomes, but I also know other aspects of my application could have been a factor, even after interviewing.

I'm currently working on getting a better sense for interviewing by practicing and doing mock interviews. At this point, I was wondering if I should be concerned with changing anything up for the future - primary application writing/activities, letters of recommendations, secondary writing, etc. I wouldn't necessarily be able to implement a lot these things this cycle, but I think it's still good to keep in mind. I'll keep on practicing with interviews though. Any thoughts, comments, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mind leaving more context if that would better help.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an institutional actions on your application?
Was there anything out of the ordinary that you were asked about at two or more interviews? (a red flag, perhaps)
Are there any gaps you've identified in your application?
Is it possible that one or more of your letters contains a negative that interviewers have been instructed to probe about (you are very quiet, you don't delegate well, you have strong opinions and are closed-minded)?
Are your interview responses very short? Are your interview responses very long? Do you tend to have a long pause before responding to a question? Do you struggle with speaking clearly and smoothly?

These are not questions you need to answer here but are things that you should consider in doing an inventory of the possible problems in your application and in your interview performance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an institutional actions on your application?
Was there anything out of the ordinary that you were asked about at two or more interviews? (a red flag, perhaps)
Are there any gaps you've identified in your application?
Is it possible that one or more of your letters contains a negative that interviewers have been instructed to probe about (you are very quiet, you don't delegate well, you have strong opinions and are closed-minded)?
Are your interview responses very short? Are your interview responses very long? Do you tend to have a long pause before responding to a question? Do you struggle with speaking clearly and smoothly?

These are not questions you need to answer here but are things that you should consider in doing an inventory of the possible problems in your application and in your interview performance.

Hi! Thank you for the advice. These are definitely some things I've been thinking about. I think I know where I need to improve interviewing wise. No obvious red flags I can think of. I don't know the contents of my letters of recommendation, but I believe they're above average to letters - of course that's me being biased. None of my interviewers have brought up my letters when it's open-file, but I don't want to assume anything. Some peers have told me they've had questions regarding their letters even if it's about something good.

In your opinion, if there was anything negative said by a recommender, would interviewers likely either bring it up or probe with questions accordingly?

Hi! Thank you for the advice. These are definitely some things I've been thinking about. I think I know where I need to improve interviewing wise. No obvious red flags I can think of. I don't know the contents of my letters of recommendation, but I believe they're above average to letters - of course that's me being biased. None of my interviewers have brought up my letters when it's open-file, but I don't want to assume anything. Some peers have told me they've had questions regarding their letters even if it's about something good.

In your opinion, if there was anything negative said by a recommender, would interviewers likely either bring it up or probe with questions accordingly?
"When you hear hoofs, think horse not zebra"

More likely you just have to work on interviewing skills. Something bad in your LoRs probably wouldn't get you 8 interviews (8 is A LOT and WAY more than the average applicant who probably has average LoRs.)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
"When you hear hoofs, think horse not zebra"

More likely you just have to work on interviewing skills. Something bad in your LoRs probably wouldn't get you 8 interviews (8 is A LOT and WAY more than the average applicant who probably has average LoRs.)
excellent points!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
You deleted your WAMC profile (your prerogative), so it's hard to say other than you likely did not match the mission of the schools where you interviewed. What formats were the interviews where you were rejected (MMI, traditional, panel, open/closed)?

If you think you know what your issues are, I hope you find a way to correct them before your next interview. As noted, it's great you got 8 interviews, but it would be a bummer to get post-II rejections. That's why I think for some reason who you were in person/virtually was more disappointing to those who looked at your application to the point where they rejected you (heck, your application got you 8 interviews so I'm not sure what you would need to change). You could be doing everything right except make the case that you would be a great colleague to have around for the next 10+ years.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
@Mr.Smile12 I really appreciate the input. Yeah I probably should have included my stats/background to get the most complete answer. Sometimes it's a little easier to say I need to volunteer more, shadow more, gain some more clinical experience, score better, etc. than to look in the mirror and see my flaws in how I portray myself during interviews.

Personally, I think my responses weren't concise enough, a bit long actually. I don't know if you guys have any experience with this, but I'm spending more time reflecting and practicing now.

@Mr.Smile12 Sorry I completely forgot to answer your questions. It's been a mix of open and closed file. Most have been traditional 30 min or so either once or twice with another interviewer. One was part MMI. I will say for the school I was waitlisted at, it was shorter, multiple interviews. I'm not sure if that's related to me being forced to respond more concisely or not. It could just be a coincidence.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some advice on improvement for this current cycle. I was lucky enough to receive 8 interview invites so far. I've attended 7 so far and getting ready for the 8th. Unfortunately, from the schools I have heard back from so far, I've had 3 rejections and 1 waitlist. I'm kind of bummed because a few of the schools I interviewed on the first day as well. I want to say not interviewing well played a role in my outcomes, but I also know other aspects of my application could have been a factor, even after interviewing.

I'm currently working on getting a better sense for interviewing by practicing and doing mock interviews. At this point, I was wondering if I should be concerned with changing anything up for the future - primary application writing/activities, letters of recommendations, secondary writing, etc. I wouldn't necessarily be able to implement a lot these things this cycle, but I think it's still good to keep in mind. I'll keep on practicing with interviews though. Any thoughts, comments, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also don't mind leaving more context if that would better help.
If you got 8 interviews, your app must have been pretty strong, both in terms of your credentials and your presentation of those credentials. You seemingly also applied appropriately and to schools where you are competitive.

Focus on those interview skills. If you think some of your answers were long-winded, practice concision. Do more mocks.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users