Post-interview rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donnyrickled

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just straight-up rejected from the first school that interviewed me. Not even waitlisted. I actually thought my interviews went really well, my numbers are good / seem to be above-average for the school (it's a new, so I don't know for sure), I'm genuinely dedicated to the mission, have relevant EC's, it's in my home state... it felt like a good fit.

I don't mean to give off the impression that I feel entitled to acceptance anywhere -- I know nobody is guaranteed to get in. But being rejected after this interview is unsettling and, to be honest, makes me doubt my own judgement. I have no idea how I messed it up so badly.

Does anybody else have a similar experience? Am I really that oblivious?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a good amount of discussion from informed individuals in this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=939061

Basically, the interviewer might still be seeing negative points in you even if things are flowing smoothly and pleasantly. Your impression of the interview and the interviewer's impression can be very different. Ideally, it's an interviewer's job to make the interviewee feel comfortable.

I don't know though, who knows how things happen in those adcom meetings. Maybe there were some parts of your application that just didn't resonate well or there were a lot of strong applicants this time around. You'll just drive yourself crazy trying to speculate.

Sorry about your rejection though. :lame:

So, I was just straight-up rejected from the first school that interviewed me. Not even waitlisted. I actually thought my interviews went really well, my numbers are good / seem to be above-average for the school (it's a new, so I don't know for sure), I'm genuinely dedicated to the mission, have relevant EC's, it's in my home state... it felt like a good fit.

I don't mean to give off the impression that I feel entitled to acceptance anywhere -- I know nobody is guaranteed to get in. But being rejected after this interview is unsettling and, to be honest, makes me doubt my own judgement. I have no idea how I messed it up so badly.

Does anybody else have a similar experience? Am I really that oblivious?

When I applied, the first interview I had was my state school, it was my first choice and I felt that I did really well in the interview connecting to the interviewer and all who gave me a positive vibe and said my application was great. Flat out rejected without a wait list. Ended up getting into my other state school, and i am glad I went because I absolutely love it. Sometimes things seem random, and this can suck especially because it was your first interview that you felt went extremely well and now you're unsure of yourself. don't be. the reality is that in order for you to get in a bunch of people have to "ok" you based on one interviewer's report of you and this involves a certain amount of luck. don't let it get you down, just keep on moving ahead and don't give up

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it sucks bro, but take the lessons you've learned and move on to another school. Moping on SDN will lead you no where.

call the office back after some time and ask them what may have gone wrong with the interview or the application in general. I did this the first time I was rejected (well-waitlisted to death) post-interview. They were fine telling me what basically what the interviewer thought.

Interviewers are supposed to make you feel comfortable so don't be surprised. Don't be paranoid either. :) the second time I interviewed at the above school the interviewer says straight up at the beginning "just relax. this is informal. I'm just here to represent you to the admissions committee." and I was thinking, "sure informal...and you're gonna be evaluating every word of our conversation.."

dust yourself off and saddle up for your next interview. :)