Post Interview Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
With the interview cycle wrapping up...I am sitting on 4 interview rejections. FOUR. I'm stunned, baffled, and disheartened.

After one of my interviews I received this:

"I understand your disappointment. It is challenging to share feedback from interviews since it is a confidential process as well as the fact that I wasn't in the room for the interview. In reading the write-ups of those who interviewed with you, there was something that came up in both that may be useful to think about for future interviews. Both interviewers commented that they felt that they were unable to get you to break through whatever nerves you had so that they could see the real you and consequently had little sense of how you would interact with patients. I know becoming comfortable in an interview setting can be a challenge and I would encourage you to undertake as many practice interviews you can either through a formal or informal process."

How do I "breakthrough the nerves"? I took this to heart and got a few more II, same result (well, still waiting on one school..not holding my breath). So I cancelled an interview from yesterday out of fear and practicality (USF's SELECT program wouldn't work for me and my SO, so I wouldn't have attended amyway..). But, the more interviews I receive, the more dejected I feel...
How do I get over these feelings? Will my med school help me with this for residency applications?

Just at a total loss.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.
With the interview cycle wrapping up...I am sitting on 4 interview rejections. FOUR. I'm stunned, baffled, and disheartened.
After one of my interviews I received this:
"I understand your disappointment. It is challenging to share feedback from interviews since it is a confidential process as well as the fact that I wasn't in the room for the interview. In reading the write-ups of those who interviewed with you, there was something that came up in both that may be useful to think about for future interviews. Both interviewers commented that they felt that they were unable to get you to break through whatever nerves you had so that they could see the real you and consequently had little sense of how you would interact with patients. I know becoming comfortable in an interview setting can be a challenge and I would encourage you to undertake as many practice interviews you can either through a formal or informal process."
How do I "breakthrough the nerves"? I took this to heart and got a few more II, same result (well, still waiting on one school..not holding my breath). So I cancelled an interview from yesterday out of fear and practicality (USF's SELECT program wouldn't work for me and my SO, so I wouldn't have attended amyway..). But, the more interviews I receive, the more dejected I feel...
How do I get over these feelings? Will my med school help me with this for residency applications?
Just at a total loss.
Practice, practice, practice. Get used to talking with strangers. Interview with people who will give you honest feedback -- you may be giving off a weird vibe without knowing. And don't run away from the problem, it won't get better unless you face it.

Medical schools will usually conduct mock interviews to prepare applicants for residency applications, but it's unlikely as extensive as you're hoping for (usually just one or two sessions). The types of interviews will vary significantly depending on specialty, but in general, the application process and interviews are easier and much more relaxed.

Reactions: 1 user
Practice, practice, practice. Get used to talking with strangers. Interview with people who will give you honest feedback -- you may be giving off a weird vibe without knowing. And don't run away from the problem, it won't get better unless you face it.

Medical schools will usually conduct mock interviews to prepare applicants for residency applications, but it's unlikely as extensive as you're hoping for (usually just one or two sessions). The types of interviews will vary significantly depending on specialty, but in general, the application process and interviews are easier and much more relaxed.

Also, see if you can find someone to interview you on camera. I'm sure it will make you more nervous, but it would probably be worth it to be able to see yourself and review it with someone after. I was filmed for something a few months ago and my inner monologue while reviewing the first take was "Why did you lick your lips 7 times what is wrong with you oh now you're tucking your hair behind your ear and now you're untucking it now you're tucking it, WHY ARE YOU GIGGLING I DON'T GIGGLE." Seeing what your nervousness looks like helps you figure out how to counteract it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, see if you can find someone to interview you on camera. I'm sure it will make you more nervous, but it would probably be worth it to be able to see yourself and review it with someone after. I was filmed for something a few months ago and my inner monologue while reviewing the first take was "Why did you lick your lips 7 times what is wrong with you oh now you're tucking your hair behind your ear and now you're untucking it now you're tucking it, WHY ARE YOU GIGGLING I DON'T GIGGLE." Seeing what your nervousness looks like helps you figure out how to counteract it.

Well, at least figuring out that i need to pull my hair back to keep myself from playing with it was a start :p

I just wish I knew more concretely why my interviews go so poorly.

I just wish I knew more concretely why my interviews go so poorly.
Well it won't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Do mock interviews with people who won't hesitate to point out your flaws. And record yourself (as suggested by ifnotnowwren) so you can be your toughest critic. This'll help you identify areas to work on, and likely help restore some confidence when you realize that you're not a total wreck.

Reactions: 1 users
Just record yourself. You can even do it solo. If you look like one of the people you see on youtube/tv that you deem to have "good" social skills/charming, you're set.

Reactions: 1 user
Try answering interview questions in front of a mirror and asking someone to do a mock interview with you with a video recorder. You might be able to pick up on things you're doing from watching yourself.

Also do a lot of practice mock interviews. The mock interviews that I felt were most useful to me were ones with stern interviewers that made me stressed, uncomfortable, and nervous. You're going to naturally be nervous during interview day. Stern interviewers helped me gradually grow more comfortable articulating myself under stressful environments and recognize when I needed to pause for a second to calm myself down.

Thirdly, prep for your interviews and be able to articulate the following general points: tell me about yourself, why medicine, and why the school is a good fit for you. You don't want to come off sounding rehearsed like you're reading from a script, but know what points you plan to talk about for each of those questions.