Post-interview thank you card?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Driller23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is it customary to send out a thank you card to the admissions office of a school after interviewing there?

I.E: it is best to send one?

Or is this something that a small proportion of applicants do just for the sake of politeness and making their case stronger?

I have no idea about the 'etiquette' surrounding this issue, so any useful feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Is it customary to send out a thank you card to the admissions office of a school after interviewing there?

I.E: it is best to send one?

Or is this something that a small proportion of applicants do just for the sake of politeness and making their case stronger?

I have no idea about the 'etiquette' surrounding this issue, so any useful feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

People always have different opinions about this, and there's never any way to be sure if it really makes a difference, but I figure better safe than sorry, right? I mean, a thank you note definitely won't hurt your chances, so why not... :)

Of the 3 schools I've been to: one has flat out told us NOT to send any thank yous, so I didn't. At another school, my interviewer didn't really seem like the type to care for trivialities like thank you cards (and would probably have seen them as a silly waste of postage), and at my third school, I sent an email thank you with an attachment of a picture (it was relevant to something that we talked about at the interview, and pretty amusing) because I really did enjoy the interview and loved the school.

So yeah, that's been my experiences so far. I'd probably send the interviewer one before I sent the admissions office one? Mostly because they probably have enough stuff to file as is, haha. And because they may or may not even remember you since some of the offices only see you long enough to cross your name off a list.

Members don't see this ad :)
send a thank you card if you made a connection w/ the interviewer ...but don't expect anything out of it, since many schools make their decisions the day of the interview

Through my interview cycle, I only wrote one letter to an interviewer I connected with (and I eventually got waitlisted and then rejected from that school). So, it's definitely not expected or mandated. As mentioned before some tell you specifically not to send a thank you - so don't.

But the bottom line is, it can't possibly hurt to send one. If you feel so inclined, wait a week, then send a card so that they might remember you a bit better when presenting your file to the admissions committee. Ultimately, it comes down to whatever you want to do. Don't stress about it.