Post-Interview Thank You Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedspedspeds18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we send a thank you note to every faculty member who interviewed us or just 1 general card to the program coordinator asking them to extend our gratitude to the others? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do we send a thank you note to every faculty member who interviewed us or just 1 general card to the program coordinator asking them to extend our gratitude to the others? Thanks!
I honestly wouldn’t bother. Some people occasionally email, but I’ll admit, I don’t read the cards or emails (they all go directly to the trash, virtual or physical). While it seems like the courteous thing to do, it has zero effect on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly wouldn’t bother. Some people occasionally email, but I’ll admit, I don’t read the cards or emails (they all go directly to the trash, virtual or physical). While it seems like the courteous thing to do, it has zero effect on your application.
Thank you for your response. For whatever reason our university implies it is a significant factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. For whatever reason our university implies it is a significant factor.
It makes no difference in my opinion. People usually make up their minds during the interview. Honestly, by the time the card/email roll around, I’ve already scored the applicant in ERAS and forgotten about it.

Send a note to each interviewer but understand it has absolutely no effect on your ranking. It this affects your decision to write them, then don't. Keep in contact (don't pester, but a note or two) with the PD of your top few places. Email vs handwritten is entirely up to you.

A lot of programs I have been too specifically state they DONT want thank you notes, but if you are the type of person that feels the need to send them to make yourself feel better then go right ahead. As the above posters mentioned, it will have no effect on your rank at that program.

...but if you are the type of person that feels the need to send them to make yourself feel better then go right ahead.

You can also do them if you are the type of person who likes to show appreciation for those who take their time to meet with you and tell you about their job/institution and/or the type of person who was raised with parents who taught them to do it and wishes to honor those teachings.

You can also do them if you are the type of person who likes to show appreciation for those who take their time to meet with you and tell you about their job/institution and/or the type of person who was raised with parents who taught them to do it and wishes to honor those teachings.

What i meant was that is what the programs have stated that I've been to recently, not my personal opinion of the matter. It seemed as though some program directors / residency committee members felt like any thank you card / note / email they received made them feel obligated to reply which in their opinion made it difficult to not violate the coercion part of NRMP by responding.

I've done a handful of interviews over the years, and will be doing more this year (both as an applicant and as a faculty member). I've gotten a handful of thank you notes. I give people my information in case they want to contact me with any questions, but I certainly don't expect thank you notes. And the ones I have received usually come in long after I've rated the applicant (as in, I rate them on the same day I do the interview, and might or might not actually remember who they are when the note comes across my desk). I did get one from an applicant who ended up matching with us, and it was nice to see that she sent me something when I was going through my email later, but even on match day, I didn't remember that she sent anything.