Post Interview....Thank You Letter???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigshoguns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I want to ask everyone if anyone is sending out Thank You Letters to the schools that interviewed you. Just a humble thanks for them taking the time to meet with you etc.

Does anyone agree with this or Oppose this gesture?

Will it seem like I am trying to kiss @ss?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it's a good idea. You would do the same for a job interview so I don't see why not.

Absolutely always send a thank-you letter after an interview; school, job, or otherwise. That being said, it shouldn't be a general letter to the school or department. It should be a separate letter to each interviewer that you met with, and they should not be identical. You should always make a point to mention something specific that you talked about with that; you'll sound more genuine. Also, and this seems obvious but everyone gets a little nervous in interviews, don't forget to ask for contact info at the end of the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never thought about it but now I will send them out.
I interviewed in late December, is it too late to send them now?

Will they think I am a kiss @$$ for sending it late? because I got rejected from other schools?

personally, with it being that late i wouldnt send it. Thats like sending a birthday card to a distant friend 2-3 months after their bday. Wouldnt it be best to just let them think you innocently "forgot"?

Just my thoughts

Yep I send my first TY letter like a week or 2 after my interview, when i created this post. My consecutive interviews, I took the greeting card with me and after my interview, i stopped at a near by mail box and wrote it out and placed it in. Took 5 minutes.

Its a tough call to send ur letter this late. If you plan to reapply then send it and mentioned correlate your interview with ur life experiences in the past two months. If your not reapplying then I would say forget it. The TY letter is not a requirement, just proper etiquette and politness. Some see it as suck up some see it as sincereity.

Or, you could actually remember what you and the interviewers discussed and relate that to some things you have leqrned since then. They actually read them you know. I sent mine fifteen minutes after my interview, but I'm wierd like that. If I were in your shoes I would send one. It may show that you don't want to be a kiss ***** and actually were impacted by the interview.

I have been sending an email to the person who interviews me thanking them for their time. It seems to work I'm 100% acceptance after interviewing.

I wanted to add this to my last post but I forgot.

I had an interview on a friday afternoon. The following monday after my interview, I sent an e-mail to the Admissions Director of the school around 1pm. I checked my inbox around 4pm, and I had an acceptance e-mail waiting for me. I am 99% sure that my thank-you note had nothing to do with it, but you never know! :)

oh wow thats awesome!
Anyone else thinks it would be crazy to send it this late?

So everyone thinks is OK to sen eTY e-mails instead of TY Letters? Let's be honest it's easier! but would universities prefer a letter?

Would you prefer an email or a letter. I prefer a letter. Much more personal and you cant spell check it. Makes you seem more genuine. IMO. When I interview people and get an email after, it usually defaults into my junk mail or i get it when i check my spam folder once a week. A letter gets there and goes to the person physically and then your name is fresh on their minds when they review your file.

Emails are definitely okay. I had an interview at Midwestern last Friday, and I sent a thank you email last night at 8pm. I got a phone call this morning at 930am saying I was accepted. What's funny is that at the interview they told us that we wouldn't find out until mid march. It was most likely just a coincidence but you never know.