Post-MCAT burn out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began studying for the MCAT during fall semester, began full-bore preparation right after finals, and took the exam on the Friday of the first week of spring semester classes (two weeks ago). So, I came into the semester playing catch-up after running a marathon. It has been so many moons since my last relaxing, full day off that I can't remember the last time I had one. I've been in school (or preparing for the MCAT) since last January without a break. I took condensed classes all summer, and went right into fall semester, balanced w/ MCAT prep and working, and now into probably my most intense semester yet taking molecular biochem, Ochem II, Ochem lab, a general biology lab (easy but busy-work heavy) and I'm teaching a general bio recitation.

My motivation, organization, and general ability to kick-ass seems to have vanished and be unavailable at the moment. I did find a spark yesterday evening while talking to a med-student friend about the possibility of an overseas medical mission which got me quite excited. I feel stuck in the dull-drums of hoop jumping, tiredly, and far detached from any clinical exposure that provides my usual motivation.

Can anyone empathize? Offer a suggestion or how to get my mojo back? I am looking forward to a my first day off, a full day of meeeee time, tomorrow. Yoga in the morning, hot springs in the afternoon, cook a nice dinner, and maybe go out for one cocktail, get to bed early.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel ya for sure. My life for awhile revolved around studying for my MCAT and working my two jobs. I work well under pressure, but at one point I realized I wasn't making time for myself. Even though I was exhausted, I forced myself to take breaks from studying to go do fun things (even if just for an hour). It definitely helped my mindset a lot.

Once my MCAT was over, it took me awhile to realize all I had to do was work and not study. Fast forward to one month later, I feel much better and have made time for me again, even with my increase in work hours at both jobs.

If you make time for yourself, which you likely can no matter what is going on, you'll start to feel better. Your "me time" tomorrow sounds fun! Enjoy it!

Seriously, taking a break, even if it means putting off a little bit of studying will do wonders for your mood and ability to get things done. I am taking 8 hours, 2 lecture 2 lab (A&P and Ochem 2), work full time, have a fiancee, and studying for the new MCAT. But I still take time each week to get away from stuff so I don't get overwhelmed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. Had that happen post MCAT and post submitting all my secondaries as well (40+).

You have to make time to do fun things for yourself. Go out with friends. Go to a show. Read a book. Etc.

Stay afloat with work, but don't feel bad about not doing things constantly. I've found it's more relaxing to do something fun instead of having unstructured time when you're just sitting around your computer etc.

Oh yes, I had this.
Ran through 2 intense semesters, took the MCAT, spent the summer essentially working 2 full time jobs (one that paid and then apps/secondaries), and jumped back into another intense semester (this past fall semester). To keep my sanity I ended up settling for Bs in a couple of upper level chem classes with no regret whatsoever. I could have pulled As, but I had zero motivation to put in the extra work necessary. Giving my brain a break was much more important. And then I took winter break and disconnected entirely in order to get back on an even keel.
You can get through it, just take it one step at a time and walk away for an evening if nothing is happening. i.e. when I found myself staring unproductively at the computer for an hour, I would turn it off and go do something that made me feel better so that I could be more productive the next day.
So keep on trucking, and best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
hey, I'm going through literally the exact same thing as you this term-I have been taking 16 units of science courses+working+tutoring+volunteering and I wrote the MCAT a week into winter semester. I started sleeping <4 hrs per night and I have 3 midterms this wednesday :(
I can offer you the only advice thats gotten me to start to turn things around the last couple weeks , away from a potential (major) burnout: figure out where you can cut back your commitments (in way way) and do it TODAY. looks after yourself. I started studying at a different library that closed at 9pm (vs 12am) to literally force me to go home and sleep. I found relaxing playlists. I called my best friend and said I needed to vent and it feels a lot better, and I made plans for thursday once Im done my exams with my friends
forgive yourself, it you need to relax, it's ok. A couple A's instead of A+'s won't hurt you one bit. Look long term, you don't want this to spiral into a major burnout.

and PLEASE read (anyone of you should, it's wonderfully done)
http://thoughtcatalog.com/brianna-wiest/2015/02/20-signs-youre-doing-better-than-you-think-you-are/
note #18

Oh yes, I had this.
Ran through 2 intense semesters, took the MCAT, spent the summer essentially working 2 full time jobs (one that paid and then apps/secondaries), and jumped back into another intense semester (this past fall semester). To keep my sanity I ended up settling for Bs in a couple of upper level chem classes with no regret whatsoever. I could have pulled As, but I had zero motivation to put in the extra work necessary. Giving my brain a break was much more important. And then I took winter break and disconnected entirely in order to get back on an even keel.
You can get through it, just take it one step at a time and walk away for an evening if nothing is happening. i.e. when I found myself staring unproductively at the computer for an hour, I would turn it off and go do something that made me feel better so that I could be more productive the next day.
So keep on trucking, and best of luck.
I really needed to see this, thank you.
It's so hard to accept that right now I will probably end up accepting a B in one of my (notoriously brutal) classes this term, but I know it's sometimes more imortant to be ok in the long run

Holy hell, it's 4 am, I just got home, and it's been one great effing day... I spent every bit of it in two hour chunks doing absolutely nothing. Two hours sleeping in beyond that time I normally get up and cranking with my day. Two hours sitting with friends in a coffeeshop while the rain fell. Almost two hours producing a puddle of sweat on a floor in a yoga studio. Two hours soaking in a hot spring. Two hours making a rissotto and calamari steaks, and finally, at least two hours dancing it all out, staying out at least two hours past the latest time I've been up in a long while. Holy-**** that was necessary. I also booked three surgeries to shadow, and lined up a potential medical mission in Peru. I think I'm back on track, thank you for hearing me out... Woohoo, I just slammed the reset button.

Reactions: 3 users