Post-military job prospects

Started by mopUSAF
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mopUSAF

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan on entering the military when I graduate next year and was wondering if anyone had any info on how that experience will translate when I re-enter the civilian workforce. Assuming I got some leadership experience while in (but no residency), do you think I could find a job as a district manager (or something similar) or would I be stuck in retail still? Thanks in advance.
 
Count me as interested as well. Although I may just do the 20 and retire. Then I'll go live on a beach somewhere drinking pina coladas all day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on going to the military too, and hope to be a staffer at a VA hospital to continue to retirement if I choose to leave service.

But I'm sure you can become a manager and eventually district manager with the experience...plus not alot of people are wanting to have that job anyway (assuming you are talking about retail?). I might try to get a MBA or JD if I want to do other things with my PharmD.
 
Well does anyone know what kind of experience the average pharmacist can expect to get in the military? Assuming you didn't do a residency, will there be enough hospital experience to be a good candidate for a hospital position when you get out? I heard that you will pretty quickly get put in a managerial position (over the civilian pharmacists), which is why I thought it would make you a good candidate for the district manager-type positions.

Also, does anyone know when the new rates for loan repayment get announced? I talked to a Navy recruiter and I think they were offering up to $120k (over 3 years) in loan repayment, but he said that figure changes each year with supply/demand changes.
 
Well does anyone know what kind of experience the average pharmacist can expect to get in the military? Assuming you didn't do a residency, will there be enough hospital experience to be a good candidate for a hospital position when you get out? I heard that you will pretty quickly get put in a managerial position (over the civilian pharmacists), which is why I thought it would make you a good candidate for the district manager-type positions.

Also, does anyone know when the new rates for loan repayment get announced? I talked to a Navy recruiter and I think they were offering up to $120k (over 3 years) in loan repayment, but he said that figure changes each year with supply/demand changes.

The amount of experience that you get varies by location. You could be in a small primary care clinic with no clinical pharmacy services, or in a large teaching hospital. If you have the option, have you preferred location written into your contract; if not, you go where they need you, not where you want.
 
Well does anyone know what kind of experience the average pharmacist can expect to get in the military? Assuming you didn't do a residency, will there be enough hospital experience to be a good candidate for a hospital position when you get out? I heard that you will pretty quickly get put in a managerial position (over the civilian pharmacists), which is why I thought it would make you a good candidate for the district manager-type positions.

Also, does anyone know when the new rates for loan repayment get announced? I talked to a Navy recruiter and I think they were offering up to $120k (over 3 years) in loan repayment, but he said that figure changes each year with supply/demand changes.
Do you think your going to jump from the military straight into a district manager position? My answer is no...

So far, ive been chief of an outpatient clinic at a big medical center, and ive worked as a pharmacist with five different nations on my deployment but your experience may vary, especially in the Air Force.
 
I don't think you can go straight to DM. I imagine companies prefer to promote from within. You can probably move up quickly if you prove your leadership skills, though.
 
I think the new figures come out in october. I have my interview with the airforce on monday and i can ask him.
 
I think the new figures come out in october. I have my interview with the airforce on monday and i can ask him.

Quotas for AOCs are set each fiscal year, which turns over Sept 30th... It varies by service, and practice settings will vary greatly regardless of service. I will be doing a PGY1 @ a large Army medical center.

For perspective - the Army added 11 pharmacists this fiscal year, and has already met its quota.
 
I've got about 2-3 weeks before I hear back on my selection with the Air Force. When you go through the application you put down 6 location preferences. We'll see if/what I get from my list (AFA, Peterson, Eglin, Buckley, Lackland, Hurlburt)

If you have specific questions about the process throw em my way, I've been putting up with it for a few months now
 
Well does anyone know what kind of experience the average pharmacist can expect to get in the military? Assuming you didn't do a residency, will there be enough hospital experience to be a good candidate for a hospital position when you get out? I heard that you will pretty quickly get put in a managerial position (over the civilian pharmacists), which is why I thought it would make you a good candidate for the district manager-type positions.

Also, does anyone know when the new rates for loan repayment get announced? I talked to a Navy recruiter and I think they were offering up to $120k (over 3 years) in loan repayment, but he said that figure changes each year with supply/demand changes.

I was all set for the Navy and they are NOT offering pharmacists loan repayment this year, but that could change for next year. They were last year, but my recruiter came out here in october and showed me the paperwork, no loan money, just the bonus.

The Air Force offers 120K but you get 3 years for the first 40K, then each subsequent 40K adds 2 years (7 years for 120K essentially)

If you do the bonus and loan repayment up front it's a 6 year commitment, I'm taking the loan repayment for a 3 year commitment and evaluating how I like it. If I do (and I expect to) I'll add years for money.
 
I've got about 2-3 weeks before I hear back on my selection with the Air Force. When you go through the application you put down 6 location preferences. We'll see if/what I get from my list (AFA, Peterson, Eglin, Buckley, Lackland, Hurlburt)

If you have specific questions about the process throw em my way, I've been putting up with it for a few months now



Good luck - let us know how it turns out... Waiting to hear about your packet is the worst part of the process.

Does the AF designate duty stations at the same board as selections?
 
Thanks everyone for all the good info.

Are the loan repayment rates discussed guaranteed? Because I remember the Navy recruiter talking about having to apply for them each year. And if that's the case, does anyone know the likelihood of signing up then not getting your annual $40k?

Also, for those of you that are going/have gone through the process, if I graduate next May then when would be the best time to put in my application?
 
Did the Army's loan repayment rates change this year too? And what is the year commitment for taking the loan repayment + residency?
Thanks.

Quotas for AOCs are set each fiscal year, which turns over Sept 30th... It varies by service, and practice settings will vary greatly regardless of service. I will be doing a PGY1 @ a large Army medical center.

For perspective - the Army added 11 pharmacists this fiscal year, and has already met its quota.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck - let us know how it turns out... Waiting to hear about your packet is the worst part of the process.

Does the AF designate duty stations at the same board as selections?

it is my understanding that they do. So according to my recruiter (nice guy, but he's probably lying to me 😎) I should hear back in 2-3 weeks with yes/no and a location.
 
Thanks everyone for all the good info.

Are the loan repayment rates discussed guaranteed? Because I remember the Navy recruiter talking about having to apply for them each year. And if that's the case, does anyone know the likelihood of signing up then not getting your annual $40k?

Also, for those of you that are going/have gone through the process, if I graduate next May then when would be the best time to put in my application?

As far as the loan stuff goes, the AF, I'm told, always has money for pharmacists (and psychologist I think) so getting your loan money shouldn't be an issue normally. But of course it's not guaranteed :meanie:

As far as the application stuff goes, that depends, but if you have a recruiter you talk to normally, I would see about getting started as early as this summer on everything, but at the same time don't jump in head first until after october 1, so you'll know for sure what the financial situation is
 
I was all set for the Navy and they are NOT offering pharmacists loan repayment this year, but that could change for next year. They were last year, but my recruiter came out here in october and showed me the paperwork, no loan money, just the bonus.

I'm fairly deep in the application process with the Navy, and have seen a 80K loan repayment and 30K signing bonus (split over 2 years) for a 4-year commitment, which is what I'm pursuing.
 
I'm fairly deep in the application process with the Navy, and have seen a 80K loan repayment and 30K signing bonus (split over 2 years) for a 4-year commitment, which is what I'm pursuing.

interesting... I know my Navy recruiter wasn't very good, that's curious that she wouldn't know. However, as much as the Navy was my first choice, the AF does seem to have a bit more money.

Make sure taking the loans and bonus is only 4 years, loans and bonus with the AF is 6 years up front
 
it is my understanding that they do. So according to my recruiter (nice guy, but he's probably lying to me 😎) I should hear back in 2-3 weeks with yes/no and a location.

huh... interesting

The army has a branch manager (for each AOC) who designates where each accession will go. This process occurs after selection via an accession board.

I was selected early march, but am still working with the branch manager to find out exactly where I'm heading.
 
it is my understanding that they do. So according to my recruiter (nice guy, but he's probably lying to me 😎) I should hear back in 2-3 weeks with yes/no and a location.

I am in the same boat as well. Supposedly i should be hearing back in a couple of weeks.
 
So why is it that no one seems to be bothered by the fact that the loan repayments aren't guaranteed? Is it safe to assume that there is a certain percentage of active duty pharmacists who won't be receiving their loan repayment each year even though they apply? That kind of seems like a big deal. Having done 4 years in the AF I'm well aware of the 'get everything in writing' saying, so having this not be guaranteed kind of freaks me out.
 
So why is it that no one seems to be bothered by the fact that the loan repayments aren't guaranteed? Is it safe to assume that there is a certain percentage of active duty pharmacists who won't be receiving their loan repayment each year even though they apply? That kind of seems like a big deal. Having done 4 years in the AF I'm well aware of the 'get everything in writing' saying, so having this not be guaranteed kind of freaks me out.


Can you get promises of duty stations in writing? ALso, do they pay all kinds of loans, or just federal? What's the scoop with new practitioners that are fresh out of school wanting to go to an overseas base?
 
Can you get promises of duty stations in writing? ALso, do they pay all kinds of loans, or just federal? What's the scoop with new practitioners that are fresh out of school wanting to go to an overseas base?

Not sure about the Army, but for the Navy you won't be getting a station in writing. "Need of the Navy" will send you where they need you, but they do try and allow you to play an active role in the process. The key is to have a good relationship with your placement officer. I was a JG working with an LT working on my 2nd tour orders and they were botched up pretty bad (lost Italy for Virginia due to some punk move by another JG). If you can, do some rotations at military hospitals and get a feel for the atmosphere. Its not for everyone.