Post oral boards dred

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Section31

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the oral boards. I’ve never failed anything ever, but I feel like I may have / probably failed this. I was very well prepared, did many practice orals, and am naturally a pretty good speaker.

So the first question is on a case I do all the time. I once gave a lecture on these cases. I could answer every question with certainty. I said I don’t know to one or two questions, but they were the bottoms of rabbit holes. I knew all the grab bags.

Second case was a different story. It was a field I don’t do hardly any of, with a rare disease process I had nearly completely forgotten. I was recalling info from Step 1. I stumbled, didn’t make eye contact, posture was bad, condradicted myself multiple times, asserted dubious facts, equivocated, and even turned down helpful hints. However, about 15 min in, I began to hit my stride. I knew virtually everything they asked. I was coherent all of the sudden. I got through the grab bags and knew them all.

So I have no idea if I passed. I could easily see myself failing. Part of me thinks I don’t even deserve to pass. Is this post oral boards dred normal? How is this test scored?

My major problem with the test format is low sample size. You get two cases. I studied for months. I even thought I overstudied. I just don’t see how I could do any better next year if it comes to that.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you’re good

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone feels like they failed and most pass. If you had one sorta OK room, one amazing room, and you made it all the way through the grab bags then you probably have a 99.999% chance of passing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your story sounds like a pass. 15 tough minutes does not likely fail you.

Reactions: 1 users
This sounds like almost every oral boards story out there so I will wager you have a >85% chance of passing.

I personally remember next to nothing from my oral boards portion. I think a best case scenario is I was like Will Ferrell during the debate in Old School.

Nope, I failed. :(
So sorry. Keep your head up buddy. Honestly speaking, the folks that I know who failed their oral boards were genuinely some of the smartest people I know. I know it’s got to be disheartening to have to go through this process again, but you’ll get through it.

Nope, I failed. :(

So did I.

So I didn’t study much more for the next one, but I did spend a lot of time practicing presentation.

I would take stem questions and follow up questions and answer them aloud, over and over again. In front of my wife so I was speaking to someone.

Passed the second time, without “extra” knowledge. Just “acting” practice. I just spoke as if I was explaining my plan to colleagues in the lounge. Not all stiff and formal. More “folksy” and every-day.

I think it speaks to the validity of the whole institution of oral boards, if acting classes improve your chances, not just your knowledge base.

But don’t get me started.

So did I.

So I didn’t study much more for the next one, but I did spend a lot of time practicing presentation.

I would take stem questions and follow up questions and answer them aloud, over and over again. In front of my wife so I was speaking to someone.

Passed the second time, without “extra” knowledge. Just “acting” practice. I just spoke as if I was explaining my plan to colleagues in the lounge. Not all stiff and formal. More “folksy” and every-day.

I think it speaks to the validity of the whole institution of oral boards, if acting classes improve your chances, not just your knowledge base.

But don’t get me started.

Part of our job is acting. We are consultants who have to be able to communicate our knowledge to a variety of different people with a variety of different knowledge levels. Being able to communicate that knowledge effectively shows true mastery. I have less of a problem with the oral boards than I do the multiple choice tests and moca ridiculousness that we are subjected to.

Part of our job is acting. We are consultants who have to be able to communicate our knowledge to a variety of different people with a variety of different knowledge levels. Being able to communicate that knowledge effectively shows true mastery. I have less of a problem with the oral boards than I do the multiple choice tests and moca ridiculousness that we are subjected to.

Like I said, don’t get me started. I should have included the entire testing process. Ours doesn’t really test for current knowledge.

I heard from an OB/GYN surgeon who said their national organization selects a committee, which selects 10-12 recent, important, papers in their area of expertise, then tests off of them.

Seems like that’s better than testing for the blood/gas co-efficient of Penthrane.

I am curious to see what the pass rate looks like for this year. Just from talking to people I have heard about a lot more people failing the applied (or a portion of it) this year than I had ever in years past.

Members don't see this ad :)
If its true, I wonder if extra stress from the OSCE portion could have something to do with it.

I am curious to see what the pass rate looks like for this year. Just from talking to people I have heard about a lot more people failing the applied (or a portion of it) this year than I had ever in years past.

If its true, I wonder if extra stress from the OSCE portion could have something to do with it.

I took the OSCE first. As there is no coffee available, I definitely feel like doing an hour and a half of OSCE drained me for the second half - the real exam.

I did the OSCEs first too and I can see why people would complain about it. Not only does it add more stress BEFORE doing the most important test of your career but also it's ****ING USELESS. Obtaining consent? Breaking bad news? Describing how to do a QI project? Are you ****ing serious? Why are you even testing this? If your "ambassadors" can't obtain consent and describe the risk/benefits of Anesthesia we might as well all quit and let the CRNAs take over. Just un****ing believable. I say this as someone who passed. It's just unnecessary stress.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have advice to offer, just sympathy and confidence you'll retake and pass.

Yes, I suppose I'll probably pass. But the thing about this test is I have no idea why I failed. Did we not get to all the questions? Were my answers strictly speaking incorrect? Did I have bad posture? Was my voice inflection too arrogant (unlikely)? No clue.

Since I don't know why I failed, I'm just not confident I'll pass the second time, even with all the preparation in the world.

What I do know is I'll spend 6 months away from my two very young children, studying for a test I do not think I should have to take again. I'll also spend about $3000 on the review materials/ test/ travel. I was also due for a raise of $38K if I passed, which I will now not get for at least 6 months. That's $19K pre-tax down the toilet.

Last edited:
Yes, I suppose I'll probably pass. But the thing about this test is I have no idea why I failed. Did we not get to all the questions? Were my answers strictly speaking incorrect? Did I have bad posture? Was my voice inflection too arrogant (unlikely)? No clue.

Since I don't know why I failed, I'm just not confident I'll pass the second time, even with all the preparation in the world.

What I do know is I'll spend 6 months away from my two very young children, studying for a test I do not think I should have to take again. I'll also spend about $3000 on the review materials/ test/ travel. I was also due for a raise of $38K if I passed, which I will now not get for at least 6 months. That's $19K pre-tax down the toilet.

Having to tell my wife that this just became a very high stakes test that I must study for for 6 months in all my free time (meaning it will stress out our lives) was the absolute worst feeling I’ve ever had

I too have a small boy that I will be ignoring all the time for 6 months too

Im very, very sorry to hear your story and wish you the best, I think we'll be taking the test around the same time. What did you use to study?

I also had the OSCE first and while it was nice to have out of the way, I was definitely a bit burnt out by my second oral board room.

Having to tell my wife that this just became a very high stakes test that I must study for for 6 months in all my free time (meaning it will stress out our lives) was the absolute worst feeling I’ve ever had

Im sorry you’re feeling terrible right now but all of your free time for 6 months is absurd. Don’t ignore your son or your wife. Realistically an hour per day is plenty and much more than 99% of your peers will do. Many years ago I took the Ho course and watching other people blunder in the public mock orals was the single most useful part of prep for me. You can really see the differences between good performers and bad ones and model yourself after the good performers.

Reactions: 2 users

I stumbled, didn’t make eye contact, posture was bad, condradicted myself multiple times, asserted dubious facts, equivocated, and even turned down helpful hints.

It sounds like you do know why they failed you. Passing the oral boards is about calmly explaining your rationale for doing a case in a particular way just like you do with surgeons or colleagues every day in the OR. If they throw you a patient with an odd ball syndrome, it's OK to say I'd grab my book of pediatric syndromes and remind myself whether or not succinylcholine is safe to give this patient before rolling them into the OR.

Involve your wife and spend some time doing some UBP practice stems with her holding the book. Even a medical layperson will be able to look at your content and style and judge whether you're full of sht or not, not to mention your wife can def tell you if you sound arrogant or flustered or indecisive. Just an important as committing knowledge to memory is practicing delivering that knowledge out loud ad nauseum.

Since I have a far amount of time to study for the test, I think I'll spend a good portion of it reviewing essential facts of anesthesia. For example, I think I'll get the TrueLearn question bank for the ITE and do those questions.

Im sorry you’re feeling terrible right now but all of your free time for 6 months is absurd. Don’t ignore your son or your wife. Realistically an hour per day is plenty and much more than 99% of your peers will do. Many years ago I took the Ho course and watching other people blunder in the public mock orals was the single most useful part of prep for me. You can really see the differences between good performers and bad ones and model yourself after the good performers.

I agree. You shouldn't have to spend 6 months, all day if you have a good fund of knowledge. Myself and my co residents spent 1-3 hours a day for 2-4 months (minimum vs maximum). Like others said, she can do stems with you. And she doesn't have to know medicine. You'll know your own weaknesses and strengths that you can evaluate yourself. I'm guessing it's your delivery that hampered your performance on the exam. If you study enough stems you'll get to a point where you're 95% sure that you can pass even a hostile examiner.