Post-Secondary Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I just had a question about how to organize the post-secondary experiences. AMCAS allows a max. of 15. I am a member of 3 honor societies and my advisor told me I should put all three under the title of "Honor Societies" and specify their names and the dates I joined each of them under the description. As opposed to listing each one of them as a separate experience. If I follow what my advisor said, I have a total of 6 experiences...if I don't, I have 9. I know they say they care more about quality than quantity...but I don't know. I just want my application to look good just like everyone else :)

What do you guys think? What did you guys do? What would you do?
Thank you in advance for all your help!
Good luck !
Karina

Members don't see this ad.

I put them as separate, just to fill up more space. I bet it makes no difference at all, but I guess I just wanted more quantity. Really no big deal, flip a coin maybe!

Depends. If you don't have anything else to put down, then put those three separate. But if you have other exeriences that can fill up the extra spots not taken by the honor society, then put those instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
My instincts are telling me to put them as separate...the only problem is that all 3 societies are pretty much the same. Coming up with 3 different ways to say the same thing in the description might be a challenge...and I don't want to sound repetitive and make these people wonder why I didn't just put them under one category if we did the same stuff (fundraisers, community service, etc)...

Thanks!
Karina

Do you have enough room to put all three together AND describe what you did? That 510 character limit gets used up quickly when you have to type the names of three organizations, the dates you participated, and what you did--even when you lump all fundraising and service together. Try it and see. If you're leaving out experiences like service projects that you think adcoms might like, then I'd say list separately.