Post Secondary Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd first like to say how great this message board has been....Its been extremly informative and helpful! You guys really know your stuff, and I find it neat to have pre-meds working with each other, and helping each other get in to meds....where I comefrom, everyone's cutthroat....ripping journals, breaking microscope slides... :p

My question is for the Post Secondary Experiences...when describing them, how detailed did you describe them? Or more importantly, how was your TONE? Was it personal, or slightly informal?

For example, I'm going to put down a scholarship as under an award and this is my description:

George B. Tutton Tuition Scholarship [Honors/Awards/Recognitions]
SEP-2000

The George B. Tutton Tuition Scholarship is awarded by the Government of New Hampshire to students attending post-secondary institutions who have obtained the highest marks during high school. The award is valued at $4 000 and is renewable for up to 4 years, as long as an average of 80% or above is maintained during their undergraduate studies. To date, I have been awarded this scholarship for the past two years and will be receiving this award for my third academic year.

Is this ok?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Seems Ok, but a little dry. When I entered in my post-secondary experiences, I made them more active. For example,

In 1999 I was awarded the George B. Tutton Tuition Scholarship by the State of New Hampshire for outstanding high school achievement. Through my continuous high achievement as an undergraduate, I was again awarded this monetary scholarship in 2000, and 2001, and will be receiving this award for my third academic year.

Or something similar...

thanks...I can see what you mean by dry now :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, do you think admissions comittees prefer descriptions that are conisce and to the point, or more descriptive of yourself?

Do you think my using phrases like "the award I was given was highly competitive" or "did research with the world-renowned molecular biologist" sounds too arrogant?

Using "highly competitive" sounds reasonable, and it might even be better to quantify it if possible, e.g., only two percent of applicants receive the award, etc.

"World-renowned" is a little cliche. It is more important to write what the research was about rather than with whom the research was performed. And most importanty, write about what you contributed to the research.