neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I submitted most of my secondaries between July 15 and August 2.
No rejections, No interviews...
SILENCE.

This has probably been asked a lot...
And I realize there is no black and white answer but on AVERAGE how long is a normal response time? To get an II? Like 4-6 weeks? I think I submitted relatively early...

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
From what I understand, there's really no way to know. Some people hear back within a week or two and others wait months. Try to keep your head up! Plenty of people are waiting and at least no rejections!! :)

OP
neonghost

neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
I feel like there is some crazy red flag on my application that I'm not aware of.

OP
neonghost

neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
So they wouldn't just reject me outright after like 2-3 months?

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
As far as interviews, there is really no time you should expect to have one by. Some people who apply early get their first in July, and some people who apply early get their first in January. There's no way to know where you'll fall in there. As far as rejections, it depends on the schools you applied to. Some schools make a decision on the majority of applicants within one or two months of receiving their application (i.e. most people get an II or a rejection in one or two months). Others send IIs to some people, and just leave the rest hanging in limbo. If you applied to a bunch of schools like this, you may never hear from them again if they don't intend to interview you.

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So they wouldn't just reject me outright after like 2-3 months?
Not necessarily. Some schools re-review applicants throughout the cycle, so they have probably done their initial review of your application, but you could get a rejection or an II in a subsequent review.

OP
neonghost

neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
Not necessarily. Some schools re-review applicants throughout the cycle, so they have probably done their initial review of your application, but you could get a rejection or an II in a subsequent review.
This is going to be a painful year. Does it help at all to keep in contact with the schools? Messaging admissions and what not?

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This is going to be a painful year. Does it help at all to keep in contact with the schools? Messaging admissions and what not?
Not especially. They probably aren't going to change their decision based on whether or not you contact them. It's very difficult to do, but try your best to just be patient. While it feels like you've been waiting forever, it's still very early in the interview season.

teeayejay

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2014
Status
Medical Student
As far as interviews, there is really no time you should expect to have one by. Some people who apply early get their first in July, and some people who apply early get their first in January. There's no way to know where you'll fall in there. As far as rejections, it depends on the schools you applied to. Some schools make a decision on the majority of applicants within one or two months of receiving their application (i.e. most people get an II or a rejection in one or two months). Others send IIs to some people, and just leave the rest hanging in limbo. If you applied to a bunch of schools like this, you may never hear from them again if they don't intend to interview you.
silent rejections are so pompous. Unless the secondary app was free, the applicant deserves a final answer....but hey, tis life.

OP
neonghost

neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
What are you guys doing in your "down" [torture] time?

May 21, 2013
Status
So I submitted most of my secondaries between July 15 and August 2.
No rejections, No interviews...
SILENCE.

This has probably been asked a lot...
And I realize there is no black and white answer but on AVERAGE how long is a normal response time? To get an II? Like 4-6 weeks? I think I submitted relatively early...
So one thing that should help put things in perspective and calm you down is that even though you submitted between 07/15 and 08/2 you may not have been complete at some of these schools til say 08/15 or so, which would mean theyve only had your complete application for 2-3 weeks. Not a lot of time for adcoms to even reach your application among the thousands they get.

I know your worries, and im sure lots of people on this site feel the same, but you just gotta remember it takes a long time, seems like 4-6 weeks after complete is the bare minimum after being complete you could wait before hearing back.

Reactions: neonghost

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Rule 1: Take a Breath

The process of reviewing an application has many steps and often is not done in a linear manner.

1) You submitted what the first week of August? Your completed secondaries? With a few to several thousand of applications, it might take sometime before they get to you. As far as I am concerned anyone who worries about an II before Oct 1st needs sedation

2) They may pull out "outstanding" candidates, URMs, children of alumni, UGs from parent university, linked PB/SMP, usual feeder schools, etc. Some state schools look first at in state, others purposely OOS to find any with state connection or that may have strong ties to its mission. They may look at the first group to be read/scored/interviewed/decided, prior to dealing with next group of applications. This may be done at any point in the chain of tasks above. For example, the adcom may want to decided on who to II in the first group then seeing how many slots are left before they move on to next group.

3) Many schools are still ramping up their full process. August is still a relatively off month with staff dealing with incoming class, faculty still away on summer, and what not. Some schools may not start adcom voting meetings until September. One admissions dean a few years ago made a comment saying something like "I dont even want to know about new applications until after Labor Day"

OP
neonghost

neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
Rule 1: Take a Breath

The process of reviewing an application has many steps and often is not done in a linear manner.

1) You submitted what the first week of August? Your completed secondaries? With a few to several thousand of applications, it might take sometime before they get to you. As far as I am concerned anyone who worries about an II before Oct 1st needs sedation

2) They may pull out "outstanding" candidates, URMs, children of alumni, UGs from parent university, linked PB/SMP, usual feeder schools, etc. Some state schools look first at in state, others purposely OOS to find any with state connection or that may have strong ties to its mission. They may look at the first group to be read/scored/interviewed/decided, prior to dealing with next group of applications. This may be done at any point in the chain of tasks above. For example, the adcom may want to decided on who to II in the first group then seeing how many slots are left before they move on to next group.

3) Many schools are still ramping up their full process. August is still a relatively off month with staff dealing with incoming class, faculty still away on summer, and what not. Some schools may not start adcom voting meetings until September. One admissions dean a few years ago made a comment saying something like "I dont even want to know about new applications until after Labor Day"

" As far as I am concerned anyone who worries about an II before Oct 1st needs sedation"
^^^^^

Love This.
You're Right.
Thanks guys all I needed was a good slap in the face to make me feel like I am still in this uphill trudge like everyone else.

May the interview invites be ever in our favor.

winterwind_23

5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2013
Status
September is still early. I know people IRL (as opposed to on SDN) who didn't even submit their primaries until August/September. I wouldn't worry until Oct/Nov. Even then, the cycle runs until spring!

tenblackalps

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Outside of tennis I am planning on reading a lot to get me through this cycle. I figure that if I am absorbed in books maybe I won't feel the need to refresh my email every five minutes hoping for IIs.

Reactions: Eye on MD
OP
neonghost

neonghost

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2014
Status
Yeah I decided to take some painting classes (no time like now) and get a part time tutoring job.
I think I just need to get of SDN xD

Reactions: tenblackalps