Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Post submission grade

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sleeeslee, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleeeslee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#1 sleeeslee, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. changtw

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I can't imagine the worry you must be feeling right about now, but if I were in your position, I would still provide the grade to the schools you are applying to. Did you list it as an IP course when you initially submitted the app?

In many of the supplementals I've seen in the last few weeks, there has been an opportunity to explain subpar grades. The bright side is that psych (I don't believe) falls under prerequisites for many of the dental schools, so it doesn't limit your prospects when it comes to grade cut offs.

4. changtw

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For the schools without supplementals, I would just prepare myself to answer the "what happened/why" question during the interview.

There isn't much else you can do, unfortunately, since the personal statement has already been sent with your primary application. =\

Don't freak out though! So, so many applicants have these blemishes in their grade reports, and your GPA and excellent DAT score are working in your favor. For instance, I took one semester of CC courses roughly 10 years ago when I wasn't yet ready for college and received a GPA of 2.10. Even though it was so long ago, I still gave full disclosure.

Not informing the schools brings about too much risk. Worst case scenario, this D+ holds you back this cycle, but you can work on something to boost your application over the next year for next cycle. On the other hand, if you don't inform the schools and they find out, this could take away all opportunity to apply in subsequent cycles.

5. sleeeslee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Any other advices? I am open to listening.

#4 sleeeslee, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. mardets

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just do an academic update when available. Most schools required a finalized transcript with your degree on it upon acceptance anyways. It's better they find out about it now than then.

7. mardets

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I won't sweat it. Just save your money for interviews. The chance of an acceptance being rescind over a D+ in a non req lab is tiny, even more so if it's an 1 credit lab. If you get interviews after the academic updates, just explain yourself. Your GPA and DAT scores are still soild, I won't fret too much about a D+ in lab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.