Post what you know about Meharry & Nashville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supafly MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to get more info on Meharry. What's the interview like? the school's facilities?

What's Nashville like in terms of student life. I don't mean to sound ignorant but what if you hate country-western music, is there much else for entertainment there?

Let me know?!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Veg.

I didn't go to the interview ($ and other factors) but I was momentarily tempted by the legend of the Meharry student who pulled a perfect score on the Step I USMLE last year. It might be an urban legend, but there's something that school is doing right if it is indeed true.

I went to Vanderbilt for a year and I also interviewed at Meharry last week. Now, keep in mind, I am from a small town in Arkansas. So, as far as entertainment avenues, there was always more to do in Nashville, than where I was from. They have the traditional club scene and athletic events, if you are in to that stuff.

The interview and entire atmosphere at Meharry is one of a family. As I'm sure that you know...the class size is small (80 students). I also got the impression that they will do anything to help you succeed if you do your part. They have a USMLE review course built into the tuition. They seem really committed to helping their students succeed. I can't say that enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a place in Nashville called Club Outer Limits. It's awesome. I have to give them props for that one. I don't know anything about Meharry. I HEARD that Vanderbilt though is very conservative, in-bred, southern money-type school; and that the mentality of the school can make one puke.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Original:
•I HEARD that Vanderbilt though is very conservative, in-bred, southern money-type school; and that the mentality of the school can make one puke.•••••Haha, stereotype much? I hear ya though.

Hey Smurf!
That's why I capslocked the "HEARD" for emphasis :p . I've never visited the school in person. Though I thought some of the questions in their secondary were weird. I thank God that I have a supportive family; but what if I didn't even have a family at all. Will that imply that I would not be capable of becoming a good physician?*

*the Q on their secondary was: What family values instilled into you by your family as a kid will make you a good physician? (or something to that effect)

Veggiegirl, are you interviewing soon. I will be there on Friday, and I was wondering the same thing?

I will be interviewing at Meharry next week. I had to reschedule due to travel arrangents. Let me know what your impressions are when you get back.

Best of Luck!!!

Veggie

Ok a little heads up for all those interviewing at Meharry coming up. I interviewed there in late January and experienced an extremely friendly and family type atmosphere from the students to the faculty and staff. The day starts out at around 8:00AM and begins with about an hour long presentation about the school. It is then that you are given your interview assignments for the day. The interviews are all closed file (meaning they don't have your raw stats in front of them) and about a half hour long. I had an interview with a professor in the morning, an interview with my fellow interviewees at lunch with current medical school students (they are a part of the admissions committee), and an interview in the afternoon with a member of the admissions committee (Dean's office). I really enjoyed the informal nature of the interview day, because outside of the scheduled interview times, I was allowed to really experience the whole campus at my own pace and talk to current students and faculty whenever I wanted to. A word of caution for those using interviewfeedback.com, I typically use this site for researching how my upcoming interviews are structured, however a disturbing trend has evolved with the posts for Meharry applicants this year. It seems that some people are using the site to espouse their prejudice and disappointment at not being offered a spot in the entering class for next year. I can tell you that the staff and professors that I met were some of the most intelligent and friendly of the seven schools I have interviewed at. My advice to upcoming interviewees is to know why you applied to Meharry and why you want to become a doctor. I applied there because they have a strong tradition (over 125 years) of treating the underserved and have a very culturally diverse medical student class which will equip me as a doctor with a valuable tool in treating an ever-increasing multicultural society. I also was pleased to hear at my interview that some of the faculty and staff have been involved with political debates in Washington (particularly during the early 1990s when President Clinton made a huge push for health care reform) that seek to give underserved populations equality of health care options that patients in England, Canada, and Australia enjoy. Students also have a wealth of volunteer opportunities to interact with schools and hospitals in the surrounding community. Good luck to all applicants and enjoy the interview, It was probably the most laid back and relaxed interview for me to date. The fact that its closed file means that they know you can fit in academically there, they just want to see what kind of person you are. So go out there and tear it up. Peace

P.S. To anybody that has been interviewed by Meharry and has received an update on their status. I received a letter telling me that I am ranked within the Acceptance Range. At first I was really excited, but now I'm wondering if that was just a nice way of telling me that I'm on the waitlist. Either way I am pumped. Any advice from current Meharry students or applicants that were placed in this category would be appreciated. Thanks.

Veggiegirl,
In response to your question about social life in Nashville, I am currently a senior at Vanderbilt, and really enjoy it here. I hate country music, but this hasn't been a problem so far. There is definitely a lot to do downtown in the way of bars and clubs, just walk up and down 2nd avenue, and you'll find something going on. Nashville attracts a lot of music other than country; I'm going to see Weezer next week :D I don't know anything about Meharry, but I can vouch for the city. When I came here, I though I would hate Nashville, but it's really a great place to live. It's definitely a lot warmer than Canada.

i am passing along second-hand information here, but it is what i heard...

a doctor i work with went to vanderbilt. he loved it there. part of his overall positive experience was the city of nashville itself. he was talking to me about my med school applications, and told me that i should have applied to meharry. he confirmed that it would be difficult for me to get in as a white guy, but that it would be worth it nonetheless. he had helped get a friend into meharry years ago, and the guy came out of there feeling great about his education and is now very successful.

then came the bad news...

he told me that the basic science that is taught in the first two years is very good. the problem lies in the teaching hospital (again i know nothing about it first-hand, and am only going on what he told me). he described it as the place to go if you want to die. needless to say, i was taken aback by this comment. he said that the training in the hospital was very poor, and that he would recommend doing all possible elective training at outside hospitals.

just HIS $0.02, not mine...