Postal service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audeo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do mails get actually lost on the way? I have sent letters of rec two weeks ago via priority mail and the school still has not received it. I am thinking it is just possible that the postal service is not very competitive. I wonder what I should do with all the other schools that do not offer web based status. Wondering if I check with all the individual schools whether my supplementaries and letters have arrived.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of times the letters get to schools and they pile up inside some box until someone files them :)

They may have received it but not opened it yet. Or they may have opened it, but not entered it into their data base yet. I would give it more time before getting too worried. And, in the future, when you send something priority mail, get delivery confirmation, which only costs a few cents extra and allows you to track it and know for sure when it's delivered. Some mail does get lost, but it's pretty rare. Think about all those bills you've paid that always made it to their destinations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of unrelated, but...

Is the WTC tragedy still having effect on international mail? I assume so, but wonder if anyone else is having long delays? I mailed something just to Canada (I'm in Cleveland) two weeks ago...which unfortunately has quite a large amount of money in it, by global priorty mail and they still haven't received it.

It is impossible to use delivery confirmation for the letters since they go out from the career service. As for the receiving part, I called the admissions office and they answered they have not received it.

Originally posted by audeo:
•It is impossible to use delivery confirmation for the letters since they go out from the career service. As for the receiving part, I called the admissions office and they answered they have not received it.•

Well, you're right about that. I assumed you'd sent them because you said "I have sent..." But I'd still wait a couple weeks before concluding they've not received the letters. Quite a few of the schools say in their application instructions not to check on letters for 3-4 weeks after submission.