Postbac Courseload vs GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coppernickel

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a postbac student, and reapplicant (applied one time).

Last semester, I took a bunch of hard classes--genetics, biochem--did well. This semester, I'm taking easier courses (the bio year long lecture + lab sequence) because a) never took it before actually, b) want to finish the lab requirement, c) am preparing for the MCAT and d) obviously I am trying to boost my science gpa (currently 3.58).

My advisor said I'll be asked about my course selection in interviews and be prepared to respond. He said it looks "weird". Does it look like I'm a slacker? Or a ***** who took biochem before bio 101, and made her life so much harder than it had to be? I didn't think this was an issue at all when I registered. How picky can these admissions people be? I am already doing a postbac and now have thousands of hours of clinical experience... I am interested in getting an MD btw. I will apply to DO as well.

THANK YOU for replying. I sincerely mean it. I don't like the idea that I might have created a weakness in my application, and that some admissions people might question my work ethic. In my first application, I made a dozen mistakes, and rectifying each one has not been easy.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really think this will be an issue. your advisor may be just overly paranoid, would recommend not to make mountains out of molehills.

it's actually interesting that you were allowed to take biochem before completing the prereqs though, but if you're asked about it (which I doubt), a simple "that's what fit into my schedule" or "I wanted to challenge myself and believed I could do well" would suffice.

I don't really think this will be an issue. your advisor may be just overly paranoid, would recommend not to make mountains out of molehills.

it's actually interesting that you were allowed to take biochem before completing the prereqs though, but if you're asked about it (which I doubt), a simple "that's what fit into my schedule" or "I wanted to challenge myself and believed I could do well" would suffice.
The only "weird" thing about that schedule is that you took all those upper level bio classes without bio 1 or 2 which makes it even more impressive. I think your light schedule sort of explains itself when it's right before your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only "weird" thing about that schedule is that you took all those upper level bio classes without bio 1 or 2 which makes it even more impressive. I think your light schedule sort of explains itself when it's right before your MCAT.

Thanks, guys! It's a good point--keep it simple, nbd, that's how I could fit it in. I am working so it'd make sense. Hahaha, I think it was a bit of mountain making. I posted this q right after that advising appointment ;)

I'm a postbac student, and reapplicant (applied one time).

Last semester, I took a bunch of hard classes--genetics, biochem--did well. This semester, I'm taking easier courses (the bio year long lecture + lab sequence) because a) never took it before actually, b) want to finish the lab requirement, c) am preparing for the MCAT and d) obviously I am trying to boost my science gpa (currently 3.58).

My advisor said I'll be asked about my course selection in interviews and be prepared to respond. He said it looks "weird". Does it look like I'm a slacker? Or a ***** who took biochem before bio 101, and made her life so much harder than it had to be? I didn't think this was an issue at all when I registered. How picky can these admissions people be? I am already doing a postbac and now have thousands of hours of clinical experience... I am interested in getting an MD btw. I will apply to DO as well.

THANK YOU for replying. I sincerely mean it. I don't like the idea that I might have created a weakness in my application, and that some admissions people might question my work ethic. In my first application, I made a dozen mistakes, and rectifying each one has not been easy.

You could just say that you were missing the prereq and wanted to go back and finish it.. I took the MCAT, Biochem, Genetics, Cell Molec, Neuroscience, etc all without even finishing the last quarter of the bio year long series lol. (Its mostly biodiversity, phylogenetics, natural selection, etc)

You could just say that you were missing the prereq and wanted to go back and finish it.. I took the MCAT, Biochem, Genetics, Cell Molec, Neuroscience, etc all without even finishing the last quarter of the bio year long series lol. (Its mostly biodiversity, phylogenetics, natural selection, etc)

Glad to know other people do this, too! Lol about the bio year sequence. I know ecology/evolution is some people's jam, but let's just say, I can't show up to lecture without my 20 oz thermos of coffee. I just cannot.

You are fine.
Thank you!