Postbac Prestige and Top Tier Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I would really like to know if academic prestige matters for the postbac (i graduated from a prestigious private school with a below average gpa). Im looking to academically enhance my record.

However, as i am very limited on finances, I can only afford the state and city schools in my area (SUNYs and CUNY CIty/Hunter).

I would really like to know if taking courses here will negatively affect/create a red flag on my app because of the prestige drop from my ug (i cant afford my ug now ) even if i get good grades in these courses?

Your experiences/insights would be grateful. Thank you once again.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a true low GPA - you can forget "top tier med schools"

Also the difference between the #1 med school and the #165 med school (or last placed/whatever that number is now) is a lot smaller than the difference is in UG. So it doesn't matter a whole lot where you go to med school (as long as its US and MD)

hey, I would really like to know if academic prestige matters for the postbac (i graduated from a prestigious private school with a below average gpa). Im looking to academically enhance my record.

However, as i am very limited on finances, I can only afford the state and city schools in my area (SUNYs and CUNY CIty/Hunter).

I would really like to know if taking courses here will negatively affect/create a red flag on my app because of the prestige drop from my ug (i cant afford my ug now ) even if i get good grades in these courses?

Your experiences/insights would be grateful. Thank you once again.

Forget prestige. That is gone until residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't a prestigious med school make you more competitive for prestigious residencies?
Nope - top 2 things for residency is crushing step 1 and 3/4th year rotation grades (esp in field you are pursuing).

Name is irrelevant

A little bit. However if you need an SMP chasing prestige is a fools mission.

There are a few individuals who have made it to top tier schools from SMPs (some Georgetown alums are listed as accepted to Case and Columbia) , so if you're one of those people who only cares about name, all hope isn't lost. But those acceptees are few and far between, and you're better off being realistic