Postbacc: Columbia vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rslnd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are other posts related to both of these programs, but I was hoping to get feedback from people who faced this very conundrum and/or are currently enrolled at either university.

Went to visit USC for my interview and was incredibly impressed with the university and Dr. Singer. I love how small the program is, as well as how much support they seem to offer. But, I would much rather be in NYC than LA. Ideally, I'd like to go to med school in NYC as well.

I've heard that Columbia's advisors are terrible. Anyone currently in the program have anything to add on this front? According to Columbia there are approx 400 people in the program, which seems like a huge student to advisor ratio (400:3).

Any opinions on this front, as well as about these programs in general, would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't have personal experience with either program but I'll support that statement about Columbia's advisers from what I have read on these boards. I have probably heard more complaints about that program than positives, mainly because it seems the results/quality of the program did not equate to its expensive tuition/COA.

I haven't heard much about USC. I think Drizzt will probably know more since he's commented on quite a few USC post-bacc threads in the past.

If you liked NYC so much, NYCOM has a pre-med post-bacc program up there as well.

Couldn't seem to find information about NYCOM's postbac premed program...

Will seek out Drizzt for more info re USC - thanks for that tip, and for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't seem to find information about NYCOM's postbac premed program...

Will seek out Drizzt for more info re USC - thanks for that tip, and for your response!

I think usc's program is decent. I think drsmooth wrote a good review of the program a few weeks ago. I would strongly consider hes in your position whichi think is better and cheaper than your other options.

Just saw your post and wanted to share my Columbia advisor experience with you. I am at the Columbia program and actually am very satisfied with my advisor. The advisors don't do anything but advise so you're right that each advisor has a large number of students. Your hand is not going to be held. However, every time I have contacted my advisor, I have easily gotten a fast appointment or email response. I think one of the reasons that I am really pleased with her help is that I make the effort to make an appointment and seek out her advice. I probably see her at least 3-4 times a semester. She has helped me out with a variety of issues- reassuring me after my first physics exam (before I really understood what a curve meant for a raw score...eek), offering professor recommendations, providing me with contacts at a volunteer location when I was hitting a brick wall, assisting with registration, etc. She's also given me the occasional cupcake :). As I said, though, I contact her. It is a situation where it is really going to be your responsibilty as the student to be proactive.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific Columbia questions. :)

I know there are other posts related to both of these programs, but I was hoping to get feedback from people who faced this very conundrum and/or are currently enrolled at either university.

Went to visit USC for my interview and was incredibly impressed with the university and Dr. Singer. I love how small the program is, as well as how much support they seem to offer. But, I would much rather be in NYC than LA. Ideally, I'd like to go to med school in NYC as well.

I've heard that Columbia's advisors are terrible. Anyone currently in the program have anything to add on this front? According to Columbia there are approx 400 people in the program, which seems like a huge student to advisor ratio (400:3).

Any opinions on this front, as well as about these programs in general, would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm a current student at Columbia, and I love my advisor. She's extremely friendly, gives me tons of advice (about classes, volunteer opportunities, and med schools), and is usually available within a week of when I call to make an appointment. The advisors generally don't contact you first, so you need to be proactive if you want to talk to them. But that pretty much reflects the basic character of the Columbia program - the school has tons of resources, but you have to be proactive to take advantage of them. For those who are self-motivated and are willing to take advantage of Columbia's tremendous resources, Columbia can be an awesome postbac program. I encourage you to talk to people who are actually in the program.

I got my acceptance from Columbia yesterday, and have to make the same exact decision, USC or Columbia. At first I was contemplating Mills and USC because of Mills' linkages but Columbia has 12 different medical schools it links to. The truth is, I am a bit intimidated by the attrition rate at Columbia. I heard that the program is very very cut-throat and that a lot don't make it. Can anyone share their experience at Columbia? I'd really really appreciate it :)

I got my acceptance from Columbia yesterday, and have to make the same exact decision, USC or Columbia. At first I was contemplating Mills and USC because of Mills' linkages but Columbia has 12 different medical schools it links to. The truth is, I am a bit intimidated by the attrition rate at Columbia. I heard that the program is very very cut-throat and that a lot don't make it. Can anyone share their experience at Columbia? I'd really really appreciate it :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=729344

How far in advance did you submit your Columbia App? Did they take a long time to send you your acceptance?

I submitted my app along with my LORs in March so I guess it took them about 3 months to get back to me :)

I don't know. I'm doing mine at Cal States (CA resident)
It's really cheap.
I was scared by the high tuition at SC, I know people who have gone to SC, it's fine, but this particular person I knew felt she was just going to year 5, and year 6 of undergrad.

Hi all,

I'm dealing with the same decision, Columbia post bacc vs. USC for the Spring. For those of you who have started, what did you end up deciding and are you happy with your decision?

Thank you!

I gotta say, I've also had a positive advising experience at Columbia, you just need to be proactive about it as others have said. They won't hold your hand, but when it comes down to it, if you do the work you'll get a great committee letter. I'm happy with my decision, I've been accepted into med school and I'm having a great application cycle.

I'm a New Yorker so I can't comment on USC. Just wanted to say that for anyone coming to Columbia's postbacc to fulfill a lifelong dream of living in NYC please realize that if you take the program seriously you probably won't have that much fun living in the Big Apple. The program is a ton of work and you won't get as much time to explore city life as you would hope. My classmates have expressed their disappointment. Something to consider before moving a long distance, that's all. But if you stay in NYC for glide year, you can make up for it! :laugh: