Postbacc for MCAT-prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloatingCloud

in the vast blue sky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I seek advice and perspective.

I finished college in '99 with a degree in biology and all med school prereq.s done. Medicine's always been on my mind, but the career I pursued post-college was absolutely non-medicine.

It's been 10-years since I 'studied' the subjects tested in the MCAT. Just last week, I sat in a MCAT review class for chemistry, and was dumbfounded. Despite my undergraduate degree, I have COMPLETELY forgotten my science.

Now, I'm humbled by the fact that I cannot sit for the August MCAT. Moreover, I realized that the MCAT review program is not enough to revitalize my knowledge in science.

Which postbaccalaureate program should I consider? I really want to take lower-division science classes for MCAT purposes, because I don't seem to remember anything. 10 years is a long time. Self-studying for the MCAT may seem plausible for persons out of college for 1-to-2 years, but I feel like I need to study the subjects all over again with professors and office hours.

People may suggest for me to do a masters in science postbaccalaureate program, but how can I? Especially, when I barely remember what valence electrons are or the electron configuration of Pd, Fe, or As.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Future Practicing MD

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't suggest doing a pre-professional MS degree. If it's in a biomedical field, you're not going to be able to refresh the physical sciences (i.e., inorganic chemistry and physics) and organic chemistry. Of course, you'll get a health dosage of biology courses. It's conceivable that you could enroll in a traditional 2 year MS program and try to retake some prereqs while enrolled in a graduate program, but I don't think that's a good idea--you'll get overloaded.

Consider taking the retaking pre-reqs at a four-year college. Since you already have the pre-reqs, I would think that you are ineligible for most formal postbac career-changer programs.

Also consider the Drexel Medical Science Preparatory program. The program accepts the GRE in lieu of the MCAT. A large component of the program is MCAT preparation.