Postbacc or SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaspajamas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior at an Ivy League Institution with a gpa of 3.3 and a science gpa of 3.2. My practice MCAT scores are mid-high 30s. I'm unsure if I should do an SMP or a postbacc next year. Advice? I'm also not sure if I should apply my senior year before starting these programs, or if I should apply during the year of the program and then take a year off afterwards. Thanks for the help/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

if you think you can get your gpa to a 3.5 by graduation you can probably do a postbac to get it to ~3.6

I only have 5 more classes before graduation, so I don't think the GPA will be that flexible for change. I was debating maybe doing HCP at HES or UPENN SSP, but as a science major I've taken many science courses already.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took classes at HCP, but I wish I would have realized earlier on that SMP was the way to go. lost a year because of that probably. there are other people that know much better than i, but i would think unless your ECs and recs are amazing, if you're shooting for US MD, go SMP

Dont bother with HES if you are science major. I was one and was told by the Director it wouldnt be a good fit.
if you chose post-bac UPenn SSP (where i am going) is a decent fit. If you do well on your MCAT you can always try and get into georgetown's SMP

Do I want an SMP? The director at HES said that a postbacc is preferable and that an SMP is sort of a last resort...

If you want MD, you need to get your cumulative GPA up to 3.5 to have a chance. If you cannot do that thru your last classes, and through a post-bacc, then yes an SMP is it.

If you want DO, then its less clear, depending how high you can get thru post bacc + your final classes as an UG, you might have a tougher decision to make.

It also depends on your actual MCAT not practice. If you get a good MCAT (34+) then you can afford a slightly lower GPA than you might have, if you get a 30-32 then you'll need a higher GPA.

Basically, can you get to 3.5? If not, prob an SMP

mid-high 30's? if you pull a 35+ i don't think you need to worry about any post-baccs or smps. Then again, that depends on what school youre shooting for. If you want top tier stuff and not just "a med school", then an smp (georgetown coughcough) would be the way to go

Would participation in the Georgetown SMP allow me to go to top tier schools?

mid-high 30's? if you pull a 35+ i don't think you need to worry about any post-baccs or smps. Then again, that depends on what school youre shooting for. If you want top tier stuff and not just "a med school", then an smp (georgetown coughcough) would be the way to go

I agree, if you can get your GPA up and pull an mcat of 35+, I don't think there's a need to do either post bacc or smp. Don't worry so much about getting into a top tier school... just do the best at whatever school you get into. It'll save you time and money.

I would hate to see someone go spend the time and money at a SMP hoping to get into a good med school but with no luck. Worst case scenario it could damage you're chances that you have now.

Regardless of what med school you end up at. If you're thinking about a competitive residency, you'll need to strive in rocking step 1, getting AOA, while doing research.