Post-Bacc and Getting into Pharmacy School. Low GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John T

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am trying to pursue pharmacy school but I was wondering what I should do to help my chances to get in with my situation.
A little background of myself --
- I graduated with a degree in Public Health Sciences at UC Irvine ( FALL 2013) with a low overall GPA specifically 2.6.
- Throughout my academic career, I was pretty naive and too ambitious and thus I enrolled in too many units each quarter after a rough start trying to get used to the college coursework pace in the quarter system ( I regret).
- I participated in various research projects during my 3rd and 4th year and summer before I graduated.
- Took required classes such as speech and anatomy and other electives at CC soon after
- Volunteered at my local hospital for a year and couple of months at the same time as going going to school
- Got a job full time at a pharmaceutical company (2015) and worked there for a a year and half and started studying for PCAT but wasn't able to take classes due to work schedule 10 hours a day

Currently, I am working full time for a new biotech company doing cancer cell therapy (started OCT 2016) at the same time retaking courses that I received anything under a C in my pre pharm pre-requisite courses. So I am working full time and taking 2-3 classes. I have enrolled in taking the PCAT this coming September. I just did this full time work and school this past quarter and I must say it was tough and I'm hoping I pass my classes. I work from 7 - 3;30 pm and class from 6;30-9:30 pm and have an 1.5 commute from home to work. I am trying to look to volunteer or intern at a pharmacy clinic/hospital on the weekends.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do to make my chances higher to get into pharmacy school? Or just continue to retake my courses and do what I am doing? Does anyone have any success stories getting in to pharm school with low GPA? And when have you guys given up and pursued something else? If so, what did you pursue?

Masters/MBA degree to help my chances to get into pharm school?

Pharmacy has been a dream job for me. I want to help people and their well being and enjoy interacting with people as well. I have a strong interest on how drugs interact with the human body etc.

Thank you so much!

John

Members don't see this ad.

John,
I would think about dropping your FTE at work if you can make it. I currently work a job that is flex scheduling while taking my prereqs. It is super nice because I get to take off when I need it.

Drop to less classes. If you are going to fail or get low grades in them, it is not worth it to be taking as many as possible. I also look for hybrid classes, I am taking an organic chem that way with microbiology. I think 2 classes is max in your situation.

Regrading master's: It's going to be hard to find a program that will take you with your GPA. Most places seem to like a 3.0 to get into grad school.

Also find a closer place to live to your work. It will make your life easier.

John,
I would think about dropping your FTE at work if you can make it. I currently work a job that is flex scheduling while taking my prereqs. It is super nice because I get to take off when I need it.

Drop to less classes. If you are going to fail or get low grades in them, it is not worth it to be taking as many as possible. I also look for hybrid classes, I am taking an organic chem that way with microbiology. I think 2 classes is max in your situation.

Regrading master's: It's going to be hard to find a program that will take you with your GPA. Most places seem to like a 3.0 to get into grad school.

Also find a closer place to live to your work. It will make your life easier.

Hello and thank you so much for replying.
I unfortunately can't quit my job because I wouldn't have the funds to pay my bills (car payment, rent, food, to pay off my undergrad loans and my current classes).

And yes I am trying to limit two courses right now. I was thinking 3 but it looks like 2 should be it. I am taking 2 rn. Maybe it was because it was molecular and biochem. How long should I do this? A year?

Relocation is in the process of somewhere closer.

What is your current situation if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I work full time, I was unemployed for last year and I work as a fill in teacher. I'm lucky with my job. I also have a science teacher licensure. I decided this path 6 months ago and have been working while going to school.

I am lucky GPA wise but I would def check about a flex work schedule. I get you have bills, I have bills. And you should be able to put your undergrad loans in deferment while in school even if you are paying cash for classes. I have them in deferment :). Helps with the bill situation.

I work full time, I was unemployed for last year and I work as a fill in teacher. I'm lucky with my job. I also have a science teacher licensure. I decided this path 6 months ago and have been working while going to school.

I am lucky GPA wise but I would def check about a flex work schedule. I get you have bills, I have bills. And you should be able to put your undergrad loans in deferment while in school even if you are paying cash for classes. I have them in deferment :). Helps with the bill situation.

the job is flex enough where I do come in early and leave early to focus on my school and I am in deferment right now in the time being but wouldn't that be denied when they find out I make a certain amount of income?

So what is your situation with pharmacy school? Are you still pursuing or did you stop and now you are being a science teacher what is your status and stats wise for pharm school?

No, I taught and realized it wasn't my passion. I am looking to go into a healthcare career. Hoping to apply in the next application cycle. I'm just using my license right now because why not. In school deferment is based on the number of credits that you are taking and that is it so no it's not based on income. And you probably qualify for IBR anyway...I would check it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I just post this in another thread but I had a 2.8 undergrad, got my master's degree in 9 months where I received a 3.9 and I'll start pharm school in August. Your situation sounds very similar to mines. I was a collegiate athlete so I took minimum 17 credits every semester, overloaded myself and failed. Once I finally got the grasp on things I buckled down and got my bachelors degree in Nutrition while taking the required pre-reqs for pharm school at my local CC. I got my bach in 2015, my masters in 2016 (May), spent my gap year finishing ochem and micro and like I said, will start pharm school in August. I worked full-time as a pharm tech throughout my whole undergrad and masters degree. I cried A LOT, but it's possible. I worked hospital so I would go to school in the day time then work 330-11pm. I was per-diem so I got paid more but I picked up 40hrs a week, sometimes more but it was nice because I was technically never bound to a schedule :) I'm 29 now, been a tech for 11 years and now finally getting my doctorate. Long road and lots of unnecessary student loan debt in the process, but trust me ... you can do it!

Hey! I just post this in another thread but I had a 2.8 undergrad, got my master's degree in 9 months where I received a 3.9 and I'll start pharm school in August. Your situation sounds very similar to mines. I was a collegiate athlete so I took minimum 17 credits every semester, overloaded myself and failed. Once I finally got the grasp on things I buckled down and got my bachelors degree in Nutrition while taking the required pre-reqs for pharm school at my local CC. I got my bach in 2015, my masters in 2016 (May), spent my gap year finishing ochem and micro and like I said, will start pharm school in August. I worked full-time as a pharm tech throughout my whole undergrad and masters degree. I cried A LOT, but it's possible. I worked hospital so I would go to school in the day time then work 330-11pm. I was per-diem so I got paid more but I picked up 40hrs a week, sometimes more but it was nice because I was technically never bound to a schedule :) I'm 29 now, been a tech for 11 years and now finally getting my doctorate. Long road and lots of unnecessary student loan debt in the process, but trust me ... you can do it!

Awesome and thank you so much for your encouraging post. Yes I was so naive and took 17-18 units each quarter and too ambitious. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your masters degree and what major? Do you think i have a chance with a 2.6 overall? my science is prolly lower tho.

Do you believe that masters degree helped you? What do you suggest me do? continue retaking courses at UCLA extension or apply to masters and try to get in and do well and then apply for pharm school? I am currently 25 years old.

Also what pharm school are you going to?

Awesome and thank you so much for your encouraging post. Yes I was so naive and took 17-18 units each quarter and too ambitious. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your masters degree and what major? Do you think i have a chance with a 2.6 overall? my science is prolly lower tho.

Do you believe that masters degree helped you? What do you suggest me do? continue retaking courses at UCLA extension or apply to masters and try to get in and do well and then apply for pharm school? I am currently 25 years old.

Also what pharm school are you going to?

I got my master's degree from Arizona State University, the program is called Science of Health Care Delivery. They have on-ground 9 months as well as 9 months. It's a mix between an MBA-MS but you get your MS when you're finished. If you really need to raise you science GPA you should probably do a post-bacc that focuses directly on those core sciences. Also, social sciences can raise your GPA too. I'm going to Regis Univ in Denver, CO. I got into Midwestern Glendale as well but I liked Regis better. Since I knew my GPA was lower, I didn't waste my money applying to top schools.. Also, I'm sure you'll have people saying if you can't pass undergrad why pharmacy. Well, like you.. pharmacy is something I've wanted to do for a long time now and although I may have struggled I know this is going to be a challenge but I definitely know when your mind and heart are set on a goal, go for it.. you won't be disappointed. Sure, I may not be able to breeze through my classes and may have to study my life away .. but nothing you want will ever come easy. :)

I got my master's degree from Arizona State University, the program is called Science of Health Care Delivery. They have on-ground 9 months as well as 9 months. It's a mix between an MBA-MS but you get your MS when you're finished. If you really need to raise you science GPA you should probably do a post-bacc that focuses directly on those core sciences. Also, social sciences can raise your GPA too. I'm going to Regis Univ in Denver, CO. I got into Midwestern Glendale as well but I liked Regis better. Since I knew my GPA was lower, I didn't waste my money applying to top schools.. Also, I'm sure you'll have people saying if you can't pass undergrad why pharmacy. Well, like you.. pharmacy is something I've wanted to do for a long time now and although I may have struggled I know this is going to be a challenge but I definitely know when your mind and heart are set on a goal, go for it.. you won't be disappointed. Sure, I may not be able to breeze through my classes and may have to study my life away .. but nothing you want will ever come easy. :)

Oh isee. Thank you for sharing. Do you suggest myself to raise my science GPA and then try to apply for pharm school? if I dont get in, apply for masters then try pharm again? My friend goes to Regis university right now and loves it. Congrats my friend!

I have done some research but do you know any program similar to masters degree in AZ state that takes in low GPA grads?

Oh isee. Thank you for sharing. Do you suggest myself to raise my science GPA and then try to apply for pharm school? if I dont get in, apply for masters then try pharm again? My friend goes to Regis university right now and loves it. Congrats my friend!

I have done some research but do you know any program similar to masters degree in AZ state that takes in low GPA grads?
Do you think your other attributes make you a strong candidate otherwise? Also, Midwestern has a post-bacc program too. So does U of A phoenix campus. I know my friend did a post-bacc in San Fran and also took classes through Berkley extension and now she's in Med school. I might add, everyone who took my master's with me that applied to med school is now in Med school .. :)

Do you think your other attributes make you a strong candidate otherwise? Also, Midwestern has a post-bacc program too. So does U of A phoenix campus. I know my friend did a post-bacc in San Fran and also took classes through Berkley extension and now she's in Med school. I might add, everyone who took my master's with me that applied to med school is now in Med school .. :)

Yes I do believe I have other strong attributes such as my research participation in college as well as other my work experience in the pharma company. My volunteer work as well.

You seem more interested in research. In that case, go for a PhD in pharmacology instead. You will have a lot more opportunities to study how drugs interact with the body. Go for a PharmD only if you want to practice pharmacy.

A PhD will be a far better investment for your education. It opens more doors in your area of interest compared to a PharmD where 70% of graduates end up in retail and probably fewer than 2% end up in the pharmaceutical industry. Unlike a PharmD, a PhD also does not require you to take out $200k+ in loans.

You seem more interested in research. In that case, go for a PhD in pharmacology instead. You will have a lot more opportunities to study how drugs interact with the body. Go for a PharmD only if you want to practice pharmacy.

A PhD will be a far better investment for your education. It opens more doors in your area of interest compared to a PharmD where 70% of graduates end up in retail and probably fewer than 2% end up in the pharmaceutical industry. Unlike a PharmD, a PhD also does not require you to take out $200k+ in loans.

Stoichiometrist back at it again

thank you for your reply. Would you say getting a PhD is harder to get in as compared to pharmD? I do enjoy interacting with people in healthcare (i.e. volunteered at multiple hospitals).

If you dont mind me asking, Are you currently in pharm school? how do you like it? is the job outlook really what people say it is? Saturated?

Hello All,
I am trying to pursue pharmacy school but I was wondering what I should do to help my chances to get in with my situation.
A little background of myself --
- I graduated with a degree in Public Health Sciences at UC Irvine ( FALL 2013) with a low overall GPA specifically 2.6.
- Throughout my academic career, I was pretty naive and too ambitious and thus I enrolled in too many units each quarter after a rough start trying to get used to the college coursework pace in the quarter system ( I regret).
- I participated in various research projects during my 3rd and 4th year and summer before I graduated.
- Took required classes such as speech and anatomy and other electives at CC soon after
- Volunteered at my local hospital for a year and couple of months at the same time as going going to school
- Got a job full time at a pharmaceutical company (2015) and worked there for a a year and half and started studying for PCAT but wasn't able to take classes due to work schedule 10 hours a day

Currently, I am working full time for a new biotech company doing cancer cell therapy (started OCT 2016) at the same time retaking courses that I received anything under a C in my pre pharm pre-requisite courses. So I am working full time and taking 2-3 classes. I have enrolled in taking the PCAT this coming September. I just did this full time work and school this past quarter and I must say it was tough and I'm hoping I pass my classes. I work from 7 - 3;30 pm and class from 6;30-9:30 pm and have an 1.5 commute from home to work. I am trying to look to volunteer or intern at a pharmacy clinic/hospital on the weekends.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do to make my chances higher to get into pharmacy school? Or just continue to retake my courses and do what I am doing? Does anyone have any success stories getting in to pharm school with low GPA? And when have you guys given up and pursued something else? If so, what did you pursue?

Masters/MBA degree to help my chances to get into pharm school?

Pharmacy has been a dream job for me. I want to help people and their well being and enjoy interacting with people as well. I have a strong interest on how drugs interact with the human body etc.

Thank you so much!

John
From my readings actually 2.6 gpa with your resume and a good pcat score will get you admission, just not to top schools. The question is if it a wise financial decision. These success stories are on here plus look at aacp.
http://www.aacp.org/resources/stude...ements/Documents/Table 8 PSAR-1415-tables.pdf