Postdoc Invitation Thread (2021-2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few of us in my internship cohort already secured postdocs via cold email. I did also send more formal applications to other sites outside of the APPA CAS and did not hear back yet except for one (which I had to turn down). I applied to around 6 sites. I think you can reach out, and in terms of applying to more sites, I would encourage you to look for fit. You tend to have more choice in where you go for postdocs. Good luck, you got this!

Thanks for sharing! Only one of the folks in my PhD cohort (9) combined with my intern cohort (4) has secured a post-doc so far, but I’m seeing a lot of action here on SDN, so I was unsure if it was too early to reach out.

Sounds like it likely isn’t too early to just inquire for those sites that had deadlines before 12/15, given that multiple folks have not only interviewed, but have also secured positions.

I am feeling a little hopeless about those sites, but I still have nine left whose due dates are not until 01/04, so my fingers are crossed. Thanks for the additional data points! Hard to compare this year with previous years due to COVID.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Only one of the folks in my PhD cohort (9) combined with my intern cohort (4) has secured a post-doc so far, but I’m seeing a lot of action here on SDN, so I was unsure if it was too early to reach out.
Programs that participate in the APPIC postdoc 'match' process will all notify on 2/21/20 starting at 10am EST so people who've secured a postdoc are way ahead of the game but also bypassing some quality training opportunities.

I would also encourage you to reach out to your internship's professional development advisor, they are there as a resource for you, given that getting a postdoc is the current norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs that participate in the APPIC postdoc 'match' process will all notify on 2/21/20 starting at 10am EST so people who've secured a postdoc are way ahead of the game but also bypassing some quality training opportunities.
Definitely agree that there are some great training sites in the match. My cohort mates and I were able to create our own postdocs however with exactly the type of training opportunities we wanted in our respective niche areas.

Official Site Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/28/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Hemonc and Critical Care
Interview Dates Offered: For critical care: 1/21, 1/22, and 1/28, for hemonc they're still getting back to me
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: driving around Texas with my partner

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My first one!! The application due date was 12/12. Wasn’t expecting to hear anything until after the new year.

Official Site Name: Washington DC VA Postdoctoral Fellowship
Date Invitation Received: 12/28/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Serious mental illness track
Interview Dates offered: 1/25 and 1/29
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Binge watching Bridgerton on Netflix

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
My first one!! The application due date was 12/12. Wasn’t expecting to hear anything until after the new year.

Official Site Name: Washington DC VA Postdoctoral Fellowship
Date Invitation Received: 12/28/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Serious mental illness track
Interview Dates offered: 1/25 and 1/29
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Binge watching Bridgerton on Netflix

Surprise invites are the best- super exciting!!! Congrats on your first!

Official Site Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Hemonc and Critical Care
Interview Dates Offered: For critical care: 1/21, 1/22, and 1/28, for hemonc they're still getting back to me
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: driving around Texas with my partner
Yay Ohio sites! Congrats!

Official Site Name: Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child and Adolescent Program
Interview Dates Offered: 1/5-1/8
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: lots and lots of video games and watching The Crown/Great British Baking Show on Netflix

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: Tampa General Hospital Fellowship in Rehab & Health
Date Invitation Received: 12/29/2021
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):Rehabilitation and Health Psych
Interview Dates Offered: 1/15 (I think she mentioned a second but I was too excited)
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: dark sarcasm, wine, TED talks...

All these phone call invites are freaking me out- don’t they realize the havoc they are wreaking on the millennial nervous system? I’m not sure I’ve answered a phone call in the last six months 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Official Site Name: Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child and Adolescent Program
Interview Dates Offered: 1/5-1/8
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: lots and lots of video games and watching The Crown/Great British Baking Show on Netflix
Did you apply to the UCLA TIES? or is this another program?

Members don't see this ad :)
All these phone call invites are freaking me out- don’t they realize the havoc they are wreaking on the millennial nervous system? I’m not sure I’ve answered a phone call in the last six months 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Heyheyhey at least someone is calling you haha

I have gotten a few nice emails confirming they have received my application and will be in touch. In touch to tell me I have an interview, I hope!

Heyheyhey at least someone is calling you haha

I have gotten a few nice emails confirming they have received my application and will be in touch. In touch to tell me I have an interview, I hope!
Oh, I meant OTHER people’s phone calls were making me nervous 🤣. It’s radio silence over here too, hahaha, you are not alone!

Official Site Name: Mount Sinai's AIMS Fellowship
Date Invitation Received: 12/30/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):substance use
Interview Dates Offered: emailed to ask for my schedule to set up an interview
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: running and working

Official Site Name: Presence Wellness/Austin Professional Counseling
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):private practice
Interview Dates Offered: interviewed on 12/23

Official Site Name: Disability and Educational Services University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Date Invitation Received: 12/15/20
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: interviewed on 12/23

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Washington DC VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/30/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email (app deadline was 12/14/2020)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology fellowship
Interview Dates Offered: week of Jan 11th, 2021

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I feel so defeated. I did not hear from my number one site and they said they would let me know before the end of the year. For internship, I only got one interview. I don't know what it is about my application that no one wants to consider me :(

• Care
I feel so defeated. I did not hear from my number one site and they said they would let me know before the end of the year. For internship, I only got one interview. I don't know what it is about my application that no one wants to consider me :(
But did you match for internship??

I got very few interviews for phase 1, and matched in phase 2.

Also, everywhere I submitted for post docs, all I have heard is “we acknowledge we received your application, we will be in touch”.

If you haven’t heard from them, I would email on Monday to check in!

Also, I know what it feels like to have a #1 and not get an interview and then feel crushed. there were so many places I had my heart set on in Phase I of internship, and to not get interviewed is a low blow. I have another top pick for post doc, but am trying to not get my hopes up to protect myself.

The only one I heard from said they were two weeks behind getting back to people. It may just mean that they're overwhelmed. Best.

Does anyone know whether most sites/the majority do rolling interviews? I have a few due in late Jan or early Feb and I’m wondering if I should make sure to get them all done ASAP despite the late deadlines. Wouldn’t want all positions to be taken before even applying due to the later deadlines.

Last edited:
Congrats on the interviews! I also plan on applying to Mt. Sinai, was wondering though if you heard anything about the other AIMS-COA fellowship as I wasn’t sure whether they had any available positions? I’ve been trying to contact the director for a while but have not gotten any replies!

This is the site, maybe they’ve switched over to the one you applied for?

Hi!

That's not the one I applied for. The training director listed on the entry you sent is not the same as the ones I sent materials to.

Has anyone heard from UMich/VA Ann Arbor Consortium for postdoc positions? I applied to specifically to the VA for women's health and SUD. That was my earliest due application, but I haven't heard from them yet. Wondering if anyone who applied to them has heard (or knows of anyone who has heard)? Thanks!

Official Site Name: Cleveland Clinic
Date Invitation Received: 1/1/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Ped Psych
Interview Dates Offered: 1/26 or 2/4
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: trying to stay organized!

Anyone apply to the San Francisco VA, the Tampa VA, or the West LA VA they were due in early December and haven't heard anything so I was curious is anyone is in the same boat?

Rejection from NY harbor VA, PTSD emphasis ☹️

• Care
Finally got one! 🥳

Official Site Name: Colorado Children's Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 1/1/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email with personalized name
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Mental Health Institute
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12, 1/14, 1/19, 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: figuring out strategies to implement and maintain self-care throughout 2021!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: San Francisco VA Health Care System
Date Invitation Received: 1/4/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Integrated Care Psychology: HIV and Liver Care and the Interprofessional LGBTQ Healthcare
Interview Dates Offered: 1/26, 1/28, 2/3
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: CrossFit and hiking

• Love
Hey all! I will start compiling this info on the front page soon. For some reason I let it get away from me.

Congrats to everyone so far. We are doing amazing!

Date Invitation Received: 12/30/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email with personalized name
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Mental Health Institute and Anxiety/OCD

• Love
Has anyone heard from UMich/VA Ann Arbor Consortium for postdoc positions? I applied to specifically to the VA for women's health and SUD. That was my earliest due application, but I haven't heard from them yet. Wondering if anyone who applied to them has heard (or knows of anyone who has heard)? Thanks!
I emailed a few weeks ago and I got an automatic reply that the post doc coordinator is out of town until Wednesday. I also heard from a neuro person that extended their deadline so they are just all over the place.

Official Site Name: Health Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship at Henry Ford Health System
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Interview Dates Offered: 1/25, 1/29, and 2/1
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Pole dance classes and weightlifting!

Hi!

That's not the one I applied for. The training director listed on the entry you sent is not the same as the ones I sent materials to.

Ah I do see the other one now, thanks for the clarification and good luck on the interviews!

This was my top site for internship and I didn’t even get an interview so I’m feeling pretty good right now!

Official Site Name: St. Elizabeth’s Hospital
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General inpatient/SMI Track
Interview Dates Offered: TBD
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: binge watching Derry Girls on Netflix

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey all! I will start compiling this info on the front page soon. For some reason I let it get away from me.

Congrats to everyone so far. We are doing amazing!
All done! Let me know if I missed anything and feel free to PM me.

Official Site Name: Primary Children's Hospital
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/25
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: watching Bridgerton and cooking with my partner!

• Love
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/25
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: watching Bridgerton and cooking with my partner!
Twinsies (but different tracks)!

Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child & Adolescent Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: running with doggie and fantasizing about where I will live next year!

Twinsies (but different tracks)!

Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child & Adolescent Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: running with doggie and fantasizing about where I will live next year!
So proud of y'all!

• Love
are people here mostly applying to hospitals or are hospitals the only places scheduling interviews so far?
I didnt apply to any hospital :3

Official Site Name: Phoenix VA Health Care System
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): PTSD
Interview Dates Offered: 02/02, 02/04
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: coloring and cuddles with my dogs

Official Site Name: VA Boston
Date Invitation Received: 1/5/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Geropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21, 1/25, 1/27, 1/29, 2/1
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Lots and lots of tea

Official Site Name: VA Boston
Specialty Track or Site: Behavioral Medicine
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21, 1/25, 1/27, 1/29, 2/1 half of the dates have times later in the day for west coast applicants
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Celebrating the little things

Official Site Name: Swedish Integrated Primary Care Fellowship
Specialty Track or Site: Primary Care Integrated Behavioral Health
Interview Dates Offered: Group interview on 2/2, Individual Interviews offered on 2/2, 2/5, 2/9
(In honor of years past) I got jaw surgery on my maxilla on 12/16 to correct an open bite- so relearning how to talk and swallow and regrowing the nerves in my face has been an irritating but also effective distraction. It takes 6 weeks for initial healing- knock on wood- assuming things are still healing correctly- I'll be out of the splint in time for this interview!

• Care
Official Site Name: UCLA TIES for Families

Date Invitation Received: 01/04/2021

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): I sent them an email asking for an update, and was told I was not selected for an interview

If & How you're staying sane: I feel very sad. Trying to watch my shows on Netflix to stay sane

• Sad
  • Care

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): I sent them an email asking for an update, and was told I was not selected for an interview

If & How you're staying sane: I feel very sad. Trying to watch my shows on Netflix to stay sane
Sorry to hear that. What shows do you watch? I need some suggestions!

Official Site Name: Boston Children's Hospital
Specialty Track or Site: gender specialty clinic
Rejection/non interview

Sad about this one it was a cool opportunity.

Hey, I got one of these today too!

Official Site Name: Boston Children's Hospital Postdoctoral Fellowship- GEMS Track

Date Rejection Received: 01/05/2021

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email

If & How you're staying sane: I'll live- I knew this one was a long shot...

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email/personalized name
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Cystic Fibrosis/Solid Organ Transplant
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: trying to organize and plan (but struggling)

• Love
Official Site Name: Boston Children's Hospital
Specialty Track or Site: gender specialty clinic
Rejection/non interview

Sad about this one it was a cool opportunity.
Twins! I also really wanted this opportunity and it was the only site I found with a gender clinic for kids.