Postdoctoral Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychResearch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am hoping to initiate a discussion about postdoctoral research positions that are research oriented rather than clinical. My training is in Developmental Psych. but my hands on research is in Clinical Psych. with a focus on interventions. In applying for postdocs, I found it challenging to get offers (although I did and now it's tough to chose) because people were asking -- what am I? Developmental or Clinical? I had to make a point of how the two subdisciplines inform each other etc. etc. but I can also see why they asked me that. I am now at the point where I need to decide if I go with a clinical-research postdoc or change focus to actually become more of a developmentalist.

I have two options: 1. Work on a longitudinal study that involves tracking vulnerabilities for X disorder over time. The PI is Clinical Psychologist by training, yet the actual project is developmental in nature. I just don't think I'll be able to get a developmental perspective from this person.

2. Work with a team of research trained in Education. One is also a developmentalist. They do interventions but I explained how I am more interested in understanding developmental processes. This knowledge will inform prevention programs. I just don't see myself doing intervention work. They also seem to have the resources to involve me in some methodology seminars etc. and used to direct a training program. Pay is better than #1, but my interest is not in the pay per se. I am interested in getting the right type of experience and with people who can mentor and support me in what I want to do.

I am hoping to get some thoughts on what type of research team I should aim to work with given my interests. How does the choice of a postdoc affect one's career?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may want to edit the title to say something about research.

Good idea for a thread, as we haven't had too many that focused purely on research. I'd like to stay in the loop, as I figure to land at another R1 (as a clinician), but it'll be helpful to know what "the going rate" is for productivity, support, etc.

Great thread, and one that may be very helpful for me as well. :)

Is there a difference between postdoctoral fellow and postdoctoral research associate. The positions I talked about above have these title. One offers 40k, the other 50K+. I'm wondering why the difference.