Poster presentation on amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolcucumber91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I put poster presentations on my resume/ on my amcas even though I didn't present it? My name is on the poster (my data) and I did help make the poster itself

Members don't see this ad.

Can I put poster presentations on my resume/ on my amcas even though I didn't present it? My name is on the poster (my data) and I did help make the poster itself

Yes of course.

Write something like "Poster Author" or whatever fits the title

Yes of course.

Write something like "Poster Author" or whatever fits the title

Oh alright sweet!! Thanks man. Also, does it look good if the poster is presented in an international conference? My research is something I've been consistently doing for the last 2+ years

Members don't see this ad :)

I also have a poster presentation. However I just included it within my research description so I wouldn't waste an extra entry.

Yes. And you might give credit to whoever did present the poster, like, "Presented by first author," or somesuch.

Wouldn't simply citing the poster be enough? I was under the impression that it's generally assumed that the first author on a poster is also the presenter unless otherwise stated.

Wouldn't simply citing the poster be enough? I was under the impression that it's generally assumed that the first author on a poster is also the presenter unless otherwise stated.
I have never seen that assumption being made in my part of the world. It is a nice courtesy to give credit where it is due if space remains available. It would be inappropriate "upselling" to leave the impression that you presented the poster by leaving the issue unaddressed in some way. JMO.

I have never seen that assumption being made in my part of the world. It is a nice courtesy to give credit where it is due if space remains available. It would be inappropriate "upselling" to leave the impression that you presented the poster by leaving the issue unaddressed in some way. JMO.

In the interest of saving space, if I have multiple different posters presented at various conferences, do you recommend listing the conference, date, and location and then underneath use bullet points for the title of the posters or presentations? There isn't enough room to list them all including every authors. Thanks.

Oh alright sweet!! Thanks man. Also, does it look good if the poster is presented in an international conference? My research is something I've been consistently doing for the last 2+ years

Yeah man it looks awesome! Congrats!
Make sure you state it in a description on AMCAS or something like that

In the interest of saving space, if I have multiple different posters presented at various conferences, do you recommend listing the conference, date, and location and then underneath use bullet points for the title of the posters or presentations? There isn't enough room to list them all including every authors. Thanks.
It's fine to abbreviate the citation, but try to say say where you are on the list or title the activity as Third Author on Poster, or somesuch. Listing the first author's name, et al, is nice if you can.

If I presented a poster at various locations in one year, can I use this format?

Name, Name, et al.Title of poster. year

Presented at:
- location 1
- location 2

Never got a chance to do an international conference but did present at a school conference, is that ok?

If I presented a poster at various locations in one year, can I use this format?

Name, Name, et al.Title of poster. year

Presented at:
- location 1
- location 2
If you are using the Posters/Presentations designation, use the most prestigious venue for the header info and mention the second presentation in the narrative. (Eg, "Also presented at YYYYY on XX/XX/XX.")

If you are mentioning the poster in another entry, like Research or Pubs, then what you've listed about is fine.

Never got a chance to do an international conference but did present at a school conference, is that ok?
Ideally, if this was presented on your campus, this would be listed in the same entry as your Research, unless it was a multi-school symposium, as presumably the poster was not peer-reviewed and everyone applying was allowed to present.

Ok thanks for your help, but I kinda already listed it as its own entry and had already submitted. Oh well shouldn't be to big of a problem.

I was also wondering, for publications that are not yet in print (so no page and volume number) but are published online and have a DOI,can we just include the DOI in the format recommended by Nature?

Author(s) Nature advance online publication, day month year (DOI 10.1038/natureXXX)

I was also wondering, for publications that are not yet in print (so no page and volume number) but are published online and have a DOI,can we just include the DOI in the format recommended by Nature?

Author(s) Nature advance online publication, day month year (DOI 10.1038/natureXXX)
Yes.

Okay, say I presented my poster 3 times locally (first author). And my PI presented a poster I worked on in 2 conferences (fifth author), but those conferences were way more prestigious than the ones I presented in. How would I put this down in the AMCAS? I was thinking of putting them all under one entry in poster presentations, but idk which one of those I should use as the date entry....

I'm curious to how you all have been listing hours for the poster heading. I have an entry for research and the appropriate hours, then another for posters and listed the citations. However, I can't really determine how long I contributed to the posters because it was my general research that was the basis of the posters. Is anyone just listing 1 hour (just to put a number down) for their poster? Otherwise, for me at least, it would be pure speculation and overlap with the research entry. Similar scenario for the date span, just listed Oct 2012-Oct 2012 (i.e. the date it was presented), anyone have a view on that?

Bump. Trying to clear this up before submitting. I know so many of you also research, please give me your insight.