Poster question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpalOnyx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything to adequately answer my question... How valuable are poster presentations to residency apps? I have the option of doing one in April and possibly another in August... The two posters will be for different projects. It takes me a long time to design and prepare the poster... So in the grand scheme of things, if I get pubs on the two projects - are the corresponding posters worth the trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and couldn't find anything to adequately answer my question... How valuable are poster presentations to residency apps? I have the option of doing one in April and possibly another in August... The two posters will be for different projects. It takes me a long time to design and prepare the poster... So in the grand scheme of things, if I get pubs on the two projects - are the corresponding posters worth the trouble?
"Research" can be an important part of the residency application, and if you have a publication or even poster presentation as a result, that is even better. On a faculty CV, presentations (including poster presentations) and publications are listed in separate areas. So I would encourage you to follow-through with the posters. (How important any of this is depends on the specialty and the residency program, but I can't think of a contraindication to doing it).

Thanks, I will get to work on those posters. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Poster, oral presentation, abstract, published article, ect = research = good for residency apps.

I had the option of doing an oral presentation or a poster for the symposium in april. Too late for me to switch from poster presetation but in retrospect I guess oral presentation would've been a better choice?

I had the option of doing an oral presentation or a poster for the symposium in april. Too late for me to switch from poster presetation but in retrospect I guess oral presentation would've been a better choice?
It depends on the meeting. At large national meetings, platform presentations are generally considered to be more "prestigious", but posters count as well. Either way, it is probably worth the additional effort.

thanks twilightdoc! both posters would be only at the level of my school... nothing national or extremely prestigious. but now they do seem worth the effort, to rack up as much research experience as possible.

The impact of posters alone on the residency application process? I would say minimal. But, if you actually get to publish the project and/or present it at a national or regional meeting, definitely a plus.

The impact of posters alone on the residency application process? I would say minimal. But, if you actually get to publish the project and/or present it at a national or regional meeting, definitely a plus.
I disagree. Certainly a poster or presentation at a national meeting is more impressive, but even local presentations demonstrate initiative and the ability to follow-through on research. And you just never know what might matter in residency selection at a given institution.

I spoke with a few PDs in regards to research as well as residents (since they do most of the applicant picking anyways) and their take was ANY research is great because it shows you are able to do a project and are committed to improving the field. Publications, although great, are not a make or break it since it is usually out of the students control to get published and/or takes a few years.

Posters count in ERAS under the heading "posters presentations and publications". They're resume builders, interview fodder, and show that you've been productive with your research time.

Though I have not applied for residencies, every time I've applied for awards, programs, positions, etc., I've found that my posters and presentations are viewed as a strength.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I have yet another question... a 3rd poster presentation opportunity has come up. Funny.

April - 2 poster sessions (project #1 can be presented)
Aug - 1 poster session (project #2 hopefully will be completed by then)

In April, for the 2nd poster session - I could choose to resubmit the same poster for project #1... OR would it be better to dig up a project I did back in undergrad (which is without poster and without publication) and make a poster on that?

seems I've gone a bit poster crazy this year... lots of good opportunities are popping up. but maybe I'll draw the line at 3.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I have yet another question... a 3rd poster presentation opportunity has come up. Funny.

April - 2 poster sessions (project #1 can be presented)
Aug - 1 poster session (project #2 hopefully will be completed by then)

In April, for the 2nd poster session - I could choose to resubmit the same poster for project #1... OR would it be better to dig up a project I did back in undergrad (which is without poster and without publication) and make a poster on that?

seems I've gone a bit poster crazy this year... lots of good opportunities are popping up. but maybe I'll draw the line at 3.
It's ethical to only present the same data once. If you were rejected from #1, you could resubmit that data to #3.

It's ethical to only present the same data once. If you were rejected from #1, you could resubmit that data to #3.

hmm I did not know that. Thank you.

Regarding presenting data more than once, it's not uncommon to present data at local symposia that will also be presented at national/intl meetings, but yeah if you're talking about presenting at the same school, I wouldn't do the same poster twice.

As far as how valuable they are, they're more valuable than no research and less valuable than presenting a poster at a national meeting or a pub.

thanks drizzt!

your sn makes me think of ice cream and milkshakes...esp those mocha frappe things at mcdonalds with the chocolate drizzle... i'm hungry now :( haha