Posterior parietal cortex ~ posterior parietal gyrus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OdysseanUnderdog

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
What is the correct relationship between the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC) and the posterior cingulate gyrus (PCG)? (Please ignore the typo in the title.) Are they essentially the same region? Does the PCC include the PCG, or vice versa? I ask because one group of studies measured changes in the PCC, whereas other studies measured things in the PCG. For clarity, I'd like to refer to this region as the PCC/PCG if this is accurate.

Same question for BA 31, which I've heard is in the PCC.

#NeuroanatomyNoob

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the correct relationship between the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC) and the posterior cingulate gyrus (PCG)? (Please ignore the typo in the title.) Are they essentially the same region? Does the PCC include the PCG, or vice versa? I ask because one group of studies measured changes in the PCC, whereas other studies measured things in the PCG. For clarity, I'd like to refer to this region as the PCC/PCG if this is accurate.

Same question for BA 31, which I've heard is in the PCC.

#NeuroanatomyNoob

In general, Gyri are individual folds(ridges) of the cortex. I don't think they can be used interchangeably all the time. Most of the time, a gyrus has more than one described Cortical area and/or Brodmann area. I can't recall right now, but there might be some gyrus which is exactly the same as it cortex.

I had to look this up but "The PCC forms a part of the posteromedial cortex, along with the retrosplenial cortex (Brodmann areas 29 and 30) and precuneus (located posterior and superior to the PCC). The PCC, together with the retrosplenial cortex, forms the retrosplenial gyrus"

Reactions: 1 user
In general, Gyri are individual folds(ridges) of the cortex. I don't think they can be used interchangeably all the time. Most of the time, a gyrus has more than one described Cortical area and/or Brodmann area. I can't recall right now, but there might be some gyrus which is exactly the same as it cortex.

I had to look this up but "The PCC forms a part of the posteromedial cortex, along with the retrosplenial cortex (Brodmann areas 29 and 30) and precuneus (located posterior and superior to the PCC). The PCC, together with the retrosplenial cortex, forms the retrosplenial gyrus"

Thank you, @deathmerchant!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, that makes sense that they're not interchangeable, and that's a good point that the PCC contains more than just BA 31 and I shouldn't obfuscate that. Could I say something like this instead? "BA 31 in the PCC in the PCG is an X region, and the PCC has been shown to be a Y region."

The Wikipedia page for the PCC contains these statements: "Cytoarchitectonically the posterior cingulate cortex is associated with Brodmann areas 23 and 31," and "Part of Cingulate gyrus". In the category of brain regions map at the bottom of the page, I just saw that it refers to it as "Cingulate cortex/gyrus". However, I could only find a source for the first statement about BA 31 being in the PCC here at Leech and Sharp 2014, not for the claim about the PCC being in the PCG.

Ok, that makes sense that they're not interchangeable, and that's a good point that the PCC contains more than just BA 31 and I shouldn't obfuscate that. Could I say something like this instead? "BA 31 in the PCC in the PCG is an X region, and the PCC has been shown to be a Y region."

The Wikipedia page for the PCC contains these statements: "Cytoarchitectonically the posterior cingulate cortex is associated with Brodmann areas 23 and 31," and "Part of Cingulate gyrus". In the category of brain regions map at the bottom of the page, I just saw that it refers to it as "Cingulate cortex/gyrus". However, I could only find a source for the first statement about BA 31 being in the PCC here at Leech and Sharp 2014, not for the claim about the PCC being in the PCG.

I think that is probably the most accurate what you quoted. No one can say that is incorrect. (But honestly, I am not 100% sure and if someone has better answer they can correct).

I think the best way to think about this is " Gyrus is an anatomical structure; Cortex is a cytoarchitectural description and Brodmann areas are functional regions"

So in a a way Cingulate gyrus(Ant and Post) has 2 major known Cortices (Ant and post) for now, and each have 3 and 2 Brodmann areas associated with them respectively.

I think that is probably the most accurate what you quoted. No one can say that is incorrect. (But honestly, I am not 100% sure and if someone has better answer they can correct).

I think the best way to think about this is " Gyrus is an anatomical structure; Cortex is a cytoarchitectural description and Brodmann areas are functional regions"

So in a a way Cingulate gyrus(Ant and Post) has 2 major known Cortices (Ant and post) for now, and each have 3 and 2 Brodmann areas associated with them respectively.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I wasn't aware of the differences between gyri, cortices, and Brodmann's areas. Now that I am, I see the logic behind the partially-overlapping labelling schemes that have been confusing me so much recently and the relationships between them. Thank you!