prefrontal cortex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm the process of writing up an essay on biology of aggression in children/adolescents. I need two specific bits of information:

- inputs and projections of the medial prefrontal cortex
- inputs and projections of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex

Any help and websites links would be truly appreciated.

Lazure

Members don't see this ad.

The prefrontal cortex has many inputs and outputs. In fact, it is one of the most well-connected parts of the brain, positioned to coordinate information from and exert control over a variety of regions.

I like to think of the connections in two big groups:
1) intracortical (i.e. association projections to other cortical regions)
2) cortical-subcortical (i.e. thalamocortical, corticothalamic, cortico-striatal, corticobulbar, corticospinal, cortico-limbic, etc).

The main thalamic nucleus projecting to and receiving input from the prefrontal cortex is the mediodorsal nucleus. Different subdivisions of the MD nucleus project to different regions of the prefrontal cortex.

In addition, various neuromodulatory systems project to the prefrontal cortex and release neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine, seratonin, and acetylcholine.

There are also direct projections from PFC to the hypothalamus and midbrain periaqueductal gray.

There are various review articles out there you can use for more of the specifics.

Good luck.