Posterior Tooth ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anyone have a check list of what to look for when trying to identify the posterior teeth?

I've got a couple books, but nothing that lists the distinguishing characterestics.

Members don't see this ad.

i have a good powerpoint presentation on my comp on tooth ID...ill see if i can upload it somewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
For posterior teeth on the mandible, look for the mental foramen (a small radioluscent hole located below the bicuspids)... and for the posterior teeth on the maxillary, look for the sinus (a large radioluscent opening above the maxillary teeth). Those are usually obvious indicators. Any other suggestions guys?

It's a test over extracted teeth; He'll just have a tooth at a station and we just say what it is. It only covers premolars and molars on this one ...

CJWolf said:
It's a test over extracted teeth; He'll just have a tooth at a station and we just say what it is. It only covers premolars and molars on this one ...
yeah dl what i posted

its excellent

psiyung said:
i have a good powerpoint presentation on my comp on tooth ID...ill see if i can upload it somewhere

Thanks for that powerpoint ... It's got some good distinguishing characteristics ...

CJWolf said:
Thanks for that powerpoint ... It's got some good distinguishing characteristics ...
I made a 96 on tooth ID earlier this year.

that presentation was a lifesaver...fortunately for you guys anteriors aren't on the exam, for they are a real bitch to distinguish sometimes (especially those damn canines)

Look at the roots...that's a start ;)

I made a 50/50 on the anterior id quiz, that part was easy. But these damn posterior teeth all look alike.

CJWolf said:

man.. you folks are lucky. Our tooth ID exam, we have to know all teeth, permanent, deciduous , cross section, eruption age, abnomal structures... We have to get at least 70% on this exam or get remedial the course.

Mandibular 1st molar is usually 5 cusps (while the others are usually 4 cusps; except Max 1st, where it can have cusp of Carabelli on L side of ML cusp)

Maxillary molars (esp 1st and 2nd): have oblique ridge that runs from ML to DB (mandibular molars not have oblique ridges)

Max 1st: Buccal roots are plier-handle shape; 2nd Buccal roots are in the same direction/contour

Also Max 1st the palatal root is usually extend beyond crown outline. There is also are cronal depression on palatal. Max 2nd the palatal root usually is within the crown outline.

Oh, if you ever see a 'heart-shaped' molar, it will be from maxillary! (freebie)

To figure out left or right side, remember the general rule, Occlusocervical of M is always higher/longer than the D

You are lucky, you only need to get tested in sections, for us, we had only one test with all permenant teeth, deciduous molars, as well as root and crown x-sections.

Best Dental Anatomy book that I've found and use is the one by Woelfel.

DAMN IT! HuyetKlem beat me to it!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Musketeer said:
Mandibular 1st molar is usually 5 cusps (while the others are usually 4 cusps; except Max 1st, where it can have cusp of Carabelli on L side of ML cusp)

Maxillary molars (esp 1st and 2nd): have oblique ridge that runs from ML to DB (mandibular molars not have oblique ridges)

Max 1st: Buccal roots are plier-handle shape; 2nd Buccal roots are in the same direction/contour

Also Max 1st the palatal root is usually extend beyond crown outline. There is also are cronal depression on palatal. Max 2nd the palatal root usually is within the crown outline.

You are lucky, you only need to get tested in sections, for us, we had only one test with all permenant teeth, deciduous molars, as well as root and crown x-sections.

Best Dental Anatomy book that I've found and use is the one by Woelfel.

DAMN IT! HuyetKlem beat me to it!

hehehe ok man...
mand premolars, mesial marginal grooves --> to tell left from right..... I missed this damn tooth on the exam

Our course text is woelfel; I just wanted to see if anyone had a check list, like the ppt I downloaded. Thanks for all the help.

Musketeer... man.. Biochem is killing man... I don't think I will ready at 8 AM tomorrow.

HuyetKiem said:
hehehe ok man...
mand premolars, mesial marginal grooves --> to tell left from right..... I missed this damn tooth on the exam

Fine, Max PM1: M cusp is D to the root axis line (other premolars the M cusp is M to root axis line)

Man PM1: D Marginal Ridge is HIGHER (more occlusal) than M Marginal Ridge (other PMs, this is reverse)

HuyetKiem said:
Musketeer... man.. Biochem is killing man... I don't think I will ready at 8 AM tomorrow.

I think it will be all nighter for me man! Still cracking it in the library.

The Musketeer said:
Fine, Max PM1: M cusp is D to the root axis line (other premolars the M cusp is M to root axis line)

too compliated man... mesial coronal depression will rule other premolars out, especially when Max PM1 with 1 root.

HuyetKiem said:

Hey, you got all the reactions down yet? I am still going at it!

HuyetKiem said:
man.. you're from UT Houston. How are you guys doing over there ?
Growing a few gray hairs, and forming a nice shiny bald spot :D

The Musketeer said:
Hey, you got all the reactions down yet? I am still going at it!

I'm still cracking down b oxidation and FA synthesis reactions

EDIT: I just saw this is from 2004. No clue how it made it to the front page but it did and I responded. No point in deleting what I just typed out so...

For extracted teeth, all you need to do is look at the occlusal view and you can be sure of 95% of posterior teeth.

Seriously. You literally need to know little to nothing else for IDing extracted teeth.

Premolars from occlusal:

Mandibular premolars: the mesio-distal (MD) length is about the same as facial-lingual (FL) length
Mandibular 1st: diamond shape with a mesiolingual groove/concavity/flatness.
Mandibular 2nd: often 3 cusp with a Y shaped groove pattern and a larger mesio-lingual cusp. Two cusp types have an H or U pattern with the lingual cusp tip directed mesially.

Maxillary premolars: the FL length is noticeably longer than the MD.
Maxillary 1st: have a mesial surface that is flat or concave due to the mesial crown concavity and a long central groove that extends into the mesial crown concavity.
Maxillary 2nd: very (relative to 1sts) symmetrical with a very short central groove. Fossae are close together (relative to 1sts)

Molars from occlusal: (of course, for all molars you can look at roots to determine mesial v. distal sides -> mesial(buccal) root is wider than distal(buccal)

Mandibular: MD is longer than FL; two roots
Mandibular 1st: five cusps with the fifth DISTAL cusp positioned in buccal half. Mesiobuccal cusp is largest.
Mandibular 2nd: four cusps with grooves intersecting to make a clean "+" look occlusally. Also will have a mesiobuccal cervical ridge.

Maxillary: crowns wider FL than MD but closer to FL=MD; three roots; oblique ridges from the mesiolingual cusp to the distobuccal; distolingual cusp smallest cusp on both
Maxillary 1st: Cusp of Carabelli off the mesiolingual cusp; more prominent distolingual cusp
Maxillary 2nd: no Cusp of Carabelli; less prominent distolingual cusp (sometimes absent giving a heart-shaped occlusal view; not to be confused with three-cusp mandibular 2nd premolars) and thus, the crown from the occlusal view tapers more noticeably toward the lingual (relative to 1sts). May give a "twisted" look.

Yep. So for IDing extracted posterior teeth, this is about all you need to know. The only tough ones really are differentiating between maxillary 1st and 2nd molars. Likely, especially for a D1 course, the instructor will make it easy and throw a Cusp of Carabelli in there.