PostInterview Letter from UofMichigan???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get a letter from the Dean after they interviewed at UoMichigan? I didn't, but a friend of mine did, and I'm wondering if that means he's better than me! Did those of you who did receive it send thank-you's maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 20th, so that is pretty recent, but I didn't get a letter (I'm out of state). I sent thank you notes on Monday, so I doubt there is turn-around time to send me a letter based on that. I sent my notes directly to the interviewers too and not through the adcom office.

As far as I know, the UMich one isn't based on thank you notes, like Columbia. My friend who got one interviewed on a Friday, and got the email the following Thursday in the 6:30-7AM range, so I'd assume it had no relation to the thank you note(s) that she sent (directly to the interviewer(s)), since she mailed it/them on Monday, and they'd probably take at least 3-4 days to be received...

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Some brave person should just call and innocently ask... say "Hey, some people I know are getting letters from the adcom office... I never got one. Is it important?"

Because... if they are sending out these letters/e-mails only to people who are going to be accepted... they are violating AMCAS's Oct. 15 rule. If they are sending these things out to everyone... then those of us who haven't gotten anything should probably wonder if there's something wrong with our contact information.

Does anyone know if the letters were thru mail, or email - because I've heard the stories about wierd ambiguous emails. I interviewed on the 13th, but haven't heard anything even though I think I had really good interviews (one of the people told me I'd do very well there). I also didn't send thank-you notes because I lost the sheet of paper w/ the name of my interviewers on it. Anyone have thoughts on how I should handle that screw-up? And does anyone know if:

1. The people getting these letters are in-state?
2. Is it one interviewer doing this themselves for people they personally like?
3. What does it mean for people who weren't contacted?

This whole thing seems pretty wierd to me... :confused:

Here is what I know. A friend who interviewed on September 13th who is OUT OF STATE receieved an EMAIL from the DEAN (Dean Remick) saying that he is very impressed with her credentials and thanked her for coming, but also said "this email does not mean you are accepted, as we cannot give out notifications until Oct 15th" or whatever. This person sent thankyou notes TO THE DEAN... so perhaps the email was a response to the thank you note to him.

I, on the other hand, am an IN STATE person who didnt receive anything - I did not send thank you notes.

I'm so sad... does this mean I'm rejected or waitlisted you think? HOW MANY OF YOU GOT AN EMAIL FROM THE DEAN or anyone else at uofmich??

How about every just sit back and chill for the next 16 days or so. It isn't that long, and you should find out if you are accepted, waitlisted or rejected.

I emailed my student interviewer a thank you note and she responded. That was the only correspondence I've had with the school.

Was your friend MD/PhD or something? Maybe interviewed by the dean?

Back to biochem............far more relaxing than thinking about phantom letters.......

Originally posted by relatively prime
Because... if they are sending out these letters/e-mails only to people who are going to be accepted... they are violating AMCAS's Oct. 15 rule. If they are sending these things out to everyone... then those of us who haven't gotten anything should probably wonder if there's something wrong with our contact information.

I don't think they're really violating:

Each school of medicine should agree not to notify its applicants (except for those applying via Early Decision Program [EDP]) of acceptance prior to October 15 of each admission cycle.

Nowhere does it say that these people are accepted. In fact, there's a specific disclaimer (however messed up by the voice recognition) that specifically says that the email is not an offer of admission.

Ivy schools have an interesting procedure. They aren't allowed to notify until April 1 or so, but in February/March, they're allowed to send a letter/postcard that states if someone is likely/unlikely to get in. Of course, they only send things like this to the top of the applicant pool, basically signaling that you got in. Duke did the same for me the last week of January my senior year in high school, although it's not a strict policy in their case, as it is for Ivy schools.

-RA

Originally posted by kreno
This person sent thankyou notes TO THE DEAN... so perhaps the email was a response to the thank you note to him.

I, on the other hand, am an IN STATE person who didnt receive anything - I did not send thank you notes.

You're reading into this too much. It has nothing to do with the thank you notes like Columbia, as I noted before.

-RA

Random: AMCAS has a ~RULE~ that all AMCAS schools cannot notify non-EDP applicants of acceptance prior to Oct. 15. I'm NOT saying that UMIch is breaking this rule... however, if they are only sending these e-mails to those they plan to accept... then I'd say that's bending the rule quite a bit. But I don't know if that's what they are doing... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This is what I can definitively say about these notes, and there is another thread out there affirming all this:

1) The notes have been sent to out-of-staters

2) I had never heard of Dean Remick before I got my email, and I still got one

3) I DID send thank-yous to my interviews, but the email came 2 days before the cards could have conceivably reached them, and also considering that the notes came from Dean Remick, I don't think it's connected to our actual interviewers

4) This phenomenon is in no way exclusive to the MD/PhD program

Some notes also went to instaters. One of my classmates here at UM got the letter, and so did I (though I am out of state). So no trend there.

Originally posted by MGoBlue13
Some notes also went to instaters. One of my classmates here at UM got the letter, and so did I (though I am out of state). So no trend there.

yep. instater here. i just smiled at the email, took it as a positive thing (couldn't be negative, still could be rejected, but the overall tone was positive) and am just keeping my panties out of a bunch. oct 15th is coming soon. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are being ridiculous. Of *COURSE* those of you who received the email have been accepted! I, on the otherhand HOPE to get waitlisted! :( :(

Just a quick observation, but everyone who listed an interview date was Sept. 13. They may have just done it for one day......anyone get the letter and not interview on Sept. 13? (or earlier) I figure they would stop that type of policy since it seems like unncessary work. It isn't like they hold acceptances like Harvard and Penn until March, so they don't have anything to gain through this.....just my view...........

I wish we got quick responses instead of having to wait until Oct. 15. Now I'm thinking about past interviews, planning interviews, and classes.............4 interviews+oct. 15+3 projects+unknown # of tests..........no fun for me.......

Originally posted by SunnyS81
Just a quick observation, but everyone who listed an interview date was Sept. 13. They may have just done it for one day......anyone get the letter and not interview on Sept. 13? (or earlier)

Sept. 20 :) Email received on Sept. 26. [not me]

-RA

I know that everyone's probably totally overreacting to this, but IT SUCKS!!! Michigan is my first choice, and I loved the school when I interviewed there (also on Sept 13). For those of us who haven't received any of these emails, and who really want to go there, this is just s***ty. :mad: This is so not what I need w/ midterms and Oct. 15 creeping up. I'm really happy for those of you who probably will be accepted (really), but for the rest of us, :(

Sorry, let me clear up my earlier comments...

When I said the emails have been sent to out-of-staters, I didn't mean that they had been sent ONLY to OS'ers, I brought it up because an earlier poster was thinking that only In-staters had gotten the email

Also, I interviewed on the 20th and got the email, so it's not limited to those interviewing on the 13th

Best of luck to all of us

I *TOTALLY* agree with Woots! I interviewed on the 13th, and I thought things went fine until my third idiot interviewer (anyone have Dr. Supiano... a geriatric doc?) that guy blew, and I'm *POSITIVE* if I don't get in it's 'cuz of him. Anyway, it blows that they sent emails out, 'cuz, contrary to what anyone may have said.. those people that got the emails are obviously accepted. The reason those emails were sent out, again obviously, is to court those students they really want... lure them in, mind you.

Now, those of us that didn't get the emails, that means we're either waitlisted or rejected (god i hope waitlisted 'cuz UofM is my first choice also).

I guess there is always the possibility that maybe the ones that agot the email are TOP TOP applicants, and little old me instater with average uofMich stats might get accepted, but they just didn't bother with the email 'cuz they know I'd pay double to go there no matter what.

I hate this. Two weeks. Grr..

I *TOTALLY* agree with Woots! I interviewed on the 13th, and I thought things went fine until my third idiot interviewer (anyone have Dr. Supiano... a geriatric doc?) that guy blew, and I'm *POSITIVE* if I don't get in it's 'cuz of him.

I'd be careful about what sort of identifying information I'm posting about myself if I'm criticizing someone. It's always possible that UMich can look at the post. There are a limited number of people who interviewed with that doctor on the 13th and are in-state.

-RA

Wow. Looks like I silenced everyone on this thread. ;)

One of my friends who interviewed there said that every interviewer interviewed 3 people in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. Identifying this interviewer as your last one, gives a 1 out of 2 choice of figuring out who you are without any other information (since you were either the interviewer's 3rd interview in the morning or the 3rd in the afternoon).

-RA

Wow, that's really gonna make the guy feel better.

Yeah, perhaps naming him wasn't appropriate. But, he still blew. In any regard, good luck anyone!

:)

Well... I hate to confirm our worsts fears... but I e-mailed UMich and asked them about the e-mails. The adcom person who answered me explained that while the e-mails are technically not acception letters... they are only sent to people whom the dean of admissions was particularly impressed with upon review of the complete ap and interview feedback.

Go congrats to you guys who got the e-mails... the dean was particularly impressed with you so you're probably in!

For the rest of us... let's just hope that the rest of the committeee likes us so much we get accepted. :)

Um, does that mean those of us whom didn't receive the email DID NOT get accepted?!?! Like for sure? Or were those emails just sent to th SWEET people who the DEAN really wants but are probably gonna go to better schools (hence the email to lure them to uofM)?

Um, does that mean those of us whom didn't receive the email DID NOT get accepted?!?! Like for sure? Or were those emails just sent to th SWEET people who the DEAN really wants but are probably gonna go to better schools (hence the email to lure them to uofM)?

No no... people who didn't get e-mails can certainly still get in. It's just that, like you said... the people who got them are the "SWEET people who the DEAN really wants." I don't know if they will go to other schools... I mean after all UMich is a TOP TEN SCHOOL!!

I got the email today, so chill. You might receive it in the days to come. (I'm out of state and interviewed on sept. 20).

Good luck to all.

There is NOTHING to "chill" about. I interviewed on the 13th... I haven't gotten the email and I know I won't because my interview there sucked with at least one of the interviewers.

However, it does give me confidence, although not very much, that there is the possibility that I could still get in if I didn't get a letter.

Maybe a waitlist !!

Or maybe i'll just get a full ride to harvard.. yeah, that's it.

BLOWY!

Quick one, would you go to Pitt or Northwestern if those were your two only options?

Hey relatively prime... can you expand a bit about your conversation? didy you SPECIFICALLY ask if its possible to get in even after you DON'T get an email?

Also, did you get an email? are you in stater?

Hey relatively prime... can you expand a bit about your conversation? didy you SPECIFICALLY ask if its possible to get in even after you DON'T get an email?

Also, did you get an email? are you in stater?

Well, you were still high enough in the applicant pool that you were chosen to get an interview in the first few rounds. I'd imagine you still have a chance to get in.

-RA

Ok... here's the actual e-mail... interpret however you like. I told you my interpretation...

"Hi #######. In response to your inquiry, the Dean of Admissions has reviewed some of the files (but not all of them) of those we have interviewed, and has selectively sent email messages to some of them. These are meant to indicate his interest in them as applicants, even though no offers are being made at this time. The Admissions Committee will be the group making any final decisions on rankings of the applicants, so communications at this point simply imply the Dean's initial enthusiasm. We will be in touch with all candidates later in October about status at that point.
--Katie"

I have come to the conclusion that it is absolutely not healthy for me to keep reading this thread. It has only led to paranoia and even more stress. I have pretty good stats, decent ECs, no idea on my LORs - but I left there feeling like I had three great interviews. (One told me she thought I would make a great doctor and do well at Michigan, one was the Dean of Student Affairs who I had a great conversation w/.) After meeting the people there, seeing the campus and hearing about their program, they were my top choice. Now I just get sick everytime I think about this whole mess. :( :( :(

I just wish I could know one way or another... I know I'm overreacting, but I can't help it. I'm sorry, please forgive my little self-pity rant. It probably doesn't help that I failed an orgo exam this morning, but this is just one of those days where I want to curl up in bed and wake up in March.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Good point Woots. There are a lot of threads like this that mostly freak people out, if it didn't happen to them.

-RA

Unfortunately, I think the Internet has promoted discussions that are both good and bad. This thread is an example of one of the bad ones in my opinion. If it wasn't for this thread, I find it hard to believe that you would be this stressed out, unless you had a friend who recieved the email.

First, I use the word "chill" because it seems that some of you might have a heart attack before Oct. 15 even comes. Taking a breath and relaxing might do everyone some good. Like the email to RP said, the asst. dean hasn't reviewed everyone's folder. Two weeks and your worries will be resolved.

Second, I think you should step back and re-evaluate how you are looking at med school admissions. Everyone on this forum admits that it is highly random. Isn't the philosophy of applying that the probability of getting into any one school is very small, but if you apply to a ton of schools then you are bound to get into one? Personally, I haven't decided on a "first choice" school because otherwise I'm highly vulnerable to being disappointed. Let's say my goal was to go to Harvard, and I went to Hopkins instead because I couldn't get in. I would end up disappointed and may not relish in the joy of getting into a medical school as much as I otherwise would have. By the way, if anyone complains about going to JHU as opposed to HMS, they should probably be slapped.

Third, I think Dr. Foxy was the one who talks about how the entire application process is about getting rejected, being disappointed, and rebounding. I think just about everyone on this forum will get rejected SOMEWHERE, but maybe I'm naive. It's an emotional rollercoaster, and the ride has just begun.........

Just my $.02.

Well put Sunny. I guess I started this forum with the intent of maybe calming the fear I had from not getting a letter from the Dean. But certainly, others, and myself, have made it into a bigger stress factor than it should be! I mean, WHAT DIFFERENCE does it make!

About the emotional rollercoaster... i think that's such a great analogy. I just got an interview at another school, and it's amazing how QUICKLY my emotions and stress towards UofMich changed. Just like that... one second I was going senile, the next I was manic.

Really ridiculous... jeez.