Postmortem Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femoralgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am curious what your opinions are on the value of postmortem experience. Most of my medical experience is on this end of the spectrum; I spent time as an intern with a medical examiner's office performing autopsies, and currently work for a donation agency recovering skin, bone, connective, and vascular tissue.

During the course of my personal statement and other essays throughout the AMCAS app and secondary apps, I have stressed my desire to apply the skills as a physician to improve quality of life.

My main concern is that some will view postmortem experience in a negative manner. Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

We're not in the business of training pathologists, we like primary care docs, so if this is your only clinical experience, my DO and MD colleagues will shoot you down faster than the SEALs took out Osama.

Now, if it's in addition to extensive patient contact experience, then it's an interesting balance.

In short, we need to know that you LIKE working with sick and injured people!

Hello All,

I am curious what your opinions are on the value of postmortem experience. Most of my medical experience is on this end of the spectrum; I spent time as an intern with a medical examiner's office performing autopsies, and currently work for a donation agency recovering skin, bone, connective, and vascular tissue.

During the course of my personal statement and other essays throughout the AMCAS app and secondary apps, I have stressed my desire to apply the skills as a physician to improve quality of life.

My main concern is that some will view postmortem experience in a negative manner. Thank you for your input!

Luckily I am not planning on going into pathology, as I know it would be difficult to get accepted with those goals. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

Your work is valuable and clinical. To the degree that you can articulate the meaning of this service you will be rewarded.

I think this is very valuable work and as long as you also have strong clinical experiences with living patients, I can only see it helping your application

I think this is very valuable work and as long as you also have strong clinical experiences with living patients, I can only see it helping your application
I would agree with this, and consider that the donation agency work is somewhat unique and will help you stand out in a positive way.

Thank you all for your input. Hopefully you are correct!