Postponing applying for a year to study abroad? Anyone have regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitaebellaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried doing a search on this and most of the threads that came up were dated but I hope its okay I post this. For reasons I cannot explain I have had this romanticized idea about studying abroad in the UK for quite sometime now. I moved my entire schedule around to accommodate studying abroad in the fall of my junior year (including doubling up in pre-reqs two semesters and tripling up in another so far :eek::eek:)

Today I find out at my study abroad meeting that my school is no longer allowing students to spend only a semester in the UK because "their twelve weeks does not equal our fourteen weeks." My language proficiencies are in English (and Latin.......) and other than the UK my school doesn't offer study abroad programs in english speaking countries (that also offer my major). So it's either I go a full year or I don't go abroad.

I really want to go abroad but I don't want to delay my application as I will be applying next year. I know in the scheme of things, delaying a year and taking a gap year won't matter but I am super nervous about it. I have above average stats (just GPA, pre-MCAT) but with as competitive as it is to get in anywhere, I'm basically anticipating it taking a few cycles for me to get in. I'm trying to be realistic as it is such a crapshoot so prolonging it even more isn't something I want to do.

I also realize that this probably is my last chance to live abroad in my life which is what depresses me the most. (The advisor in the study abroad office did try to console me telling me that it is not because I can always study abroad in med. school! Idk if he facetious and insinuating the Caribbean or if he thinks you can actually go abroad from a US med school just for fun....)

Anyway, I am leaning towards staying here next year and not taking the risk but I want to hear everyone's experiences. Has anyone delayed applying a year by going abroad? Do you regret it? Has anyone else regretted not going abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

A few things.

(1) I'm sure he wasn't implying Carribbean. Most non med/pre-med people don't even think about those kinds of things. He was just pointing out the opportunities in medical school (and based on my research, some of them are awesome!)

(2) DO IT. Oh my god, do it. Would you rather be a year ahead in school/career and living with regrets, or to have an amazing experience, and then continue on with the career as planned? You're young, a year is nothing ........ if you've romanticized it, do it. I just got back from my study abroad, which may or may not hold me back a year. I can't emphasize how much I enjoyed it, and if I had to go back and redo it all again, I would have went for a whole year (instead of just one semester!). GO GO GO. It is so wonderful. But if you do go, remember one thing: forget about medical school while you're there! Take time to immerse yourself in a new place and your new life --- you'll come back having gained more if you just let everything go for a year. Do your best, but in something completely new.

Good luck!

I have above average stats (just GPA, pre-MCAT) but with as competitive as it is to get in anywhere, I'm basically anticipating it taking a few cycles for me to get in. I'm trying to be realistic as it is such a crapshoot so prolonging it even more isn't something I want to do.

Why do you think it will take multiple cycles? In general, those who don't succeed the first time have a hard time. Not saying its not possible, lots of people on this site have to do it. But planning to apply multiple times is sort of scary. What do you think would change between those cycles?

I also realize that this probably is my last chance to live abroad in my life which is what depresses me the most. (The advisor in the study abroad office did try to console me telling me that it is not because I can always study abroad in med. school! Idk if he facetious and insinuating the Caribbean or if he thinks you can actually go abroad from a US med school just for fun....)

This is probably your last chance to live abroad for a long period of time. Medical missions are possible but there are no "study abroad" programs in med school. One month language experiences here and there, short medical experiences, and of course travel just for fun. But the longest you would be able to do that would probably be 2 months or so (either summer after first year or as elective time in your fourth year). I mean I guess if you were really hard core and depending on your school you could pull off 3-4 months fourth year but it wouldn't be funded for that whole time...

Anyway, I am leaning towards staying here next year and not taking the risk but I want to hear everyone's experiences. Has anyone delayed applying a year by going abroad? Do you regret it? Has anyone else regretted not going abroad?

I didn't go abroad but I took a year off. No regrets. None of my classmates regret time off.

The only person I know who regrets going abroad had to take private loans to do so, and the bank refuses to defer those. So she makes payments with her med school loans every month and has been pretty strapped for cash all of med school which sucks. Even then, she doesn't regret going abroad (Italy) just the loans.

I think you should go. Also, I don't really understand your post. You're planning to go abroad your junior year? Why would you have to take a year off? Not that I think its not a good idea - I'm just not clear why you cannot go abroad your junior year and then apply your senior year to enter immediately after college.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of God, please go abroad. You have the rest of your life to be a doctor. However you probably will never be able to go and spend a year abroad. Remember, life is for the living, its not some cosmic competition of who can graduate medical school first, and make the most money. When your old and retired, and looking back on your life. What do you want to think: " I spent 31 years making money, and never really" or " I spent a year abroad and spent 30 years making money", I guarantee you, you won't care about the year more salary.. My mom spent a year in Europe after undergrad, and it was one of the best, most memorable experiences of her life.

no idea if this would pan out but also look at other schools whose programs you might be able to go through - i went abroad thru arcadia university instead of my home school. maybe it could widen your options and you might find a longer term in an english speaking country or at a school elsewhere that you can take the classes in english, etc... just a thought..

Don't skip a year, go abroad through another university program, just do a lot of homework on it to make it work. Then you can still stay the course you've been planning.

Take your time. Applying to medical school is prohibitively expensive. My failed cycle set me back more than $2,000. From what I've heard from others, that's chump change.

Study abroad, it will change you. Make it work for credit if you can. You would be really well off if you manage to pull off a non-science major, especially as a second major.

I am pretty confident that if I'd taken my time, made sure of my reasons for medicine, figured out who I was as a person, and been able to dedicate my time and efforts fully, I would not be in the position I'm in now.

Good luck and godspeed. Don't let anyone anonymous or central in your life deter or discourage you. Apply multiple times if you have to, but never let that be your plan.

Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

-C.J.

Well, I'm an American posting from Spain right now, where i've been living and teaching for the past year and a half. :) I've already been accepted to a US MD program- woot.

I studied here during my junior year (minored in spanish), then came back for what will be two amazing years after graduating. I'll be all ready to start med school when I get back to the states. Honestly I could not be happier about how things are turning out. Obviously my biggest fear was not being accepted anywhere, since what I'm doing right now is not directly related to medicine. But the schools seem to love what i'm doing right now!! I'm sure it has helped my application. I had the support from my family and friends, and even my pre-med advisor... "this is the time to do that" was the general consensus.

So, GO FOR IT!!! ...the only problem is I have had a relationship since about a month after I got here...and it's going to be hard to leave. But I would not trade anything in the world for my life so far!

Why do you think it will take multiple cycles? In general, those who don't succeed the first time have a hard time. Not saying its not possible, lots of people on this site have to do it. But planning to apply multiple times is sort of scary. What do you think would change between those cycles?
Oh jeez, I am definitely going to avoid <i> planning </i> on applying multiple times. I want more than everything to get in on my first shot, but as I am sure I don't need to tell everyone twice that its difficult to get in anywhere. I have a 3.7+ cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, a pretty difficult major, average ECs, applying to mid-lower ranked MD and DO schools but I am trying to be realistic. Its just pretty discouraging when you see people with 3.9+ getting in no where. I guess lurking on SDN for too long will kill your confidence.

Also, I don't really understand your post. You're planning to go abroad your junior year? Why would you have to take a year off? Not that I think its not a good idea - I'm just not clear why you cannot go abroad your junior year and then apply your senior year to enter immediately after college.
Yes, I would be abroad my junior year. If I wait to wapply my senior year of UG that will mean I have to take a gap year in between college and medical school, right?

Oh jeez, I am definitely going to avoid <i> planning </i> on applying multiple times. I want more than everything to get in on my first shot, but as I am sure I don't need to tell everyone twice that its difficult to get in anywhere. I have a 3.7+ cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, a pretty difficult major, average ECs, applying to mid-lower ranked MD and DO schools but I am trying to be realistic. Its just pretty discouraging when you see people with 3.9+ getting in no where. I guess lurking on SDN for too long will kill your confidence.

Yes, I would be abroad my junior year. If I wait to wapply my senior year of UG that will mean I have to take a gap year in between college and medical school, right?

people who dont get accepted with above average stats generally have inadequate clinical experience or cannot explain why they want to be a physician (or dont apply broadly). And no that will not result in a year off...you just need to figure out when you will take your mcat. Have the score ready in time to start aplying june before your senior year and you will start august after your senior year

I have talked to a few advisors at my school and there are a few exchange programs in the UK that I can attend in the spring semester of my junior year!! My premed advisor said that this should work out okay even with sending my applications out. I am planning to apply to an early assurance program the end of this semester so I will have a committee letter + my LORs done early. I'm also planning on taking the MCAT this august. She says if I am not accepted all of my letters can be updated to send out at the end of my junior year to other schools. Has anyone had experience with going abroad spring of your junior year?

Vitaebellaa,

If you can afford it, do it.

I always wanted to take a year off after undergrad to expand my horizons, volunteer in a developing country, and truth be told, I started to feel burned out from undergrad.

Yet, I still applied to med school in my Junior year, because I thought that if I was lucky enough to get accepted, I would figure out what to do then. And if not, I will have that gap year I was looking forward. Anyway, a combination of being naive and not applying broadly enough left me on a waiting list in December.

So I started looking for opportunities abroad, as my chances at med school were rapidly diminishing. I finally found one, and accepted the position there in May. Two weeks later I was pulled off the waitlist. I was thrilled, but I had already set my mind to go abroad and so I asked the school to defer my acceptance.

Right now, I am in Vietnam, volunteering in a hospital and having the time of my life. And even though it was kind of an a**hole move to request a deferment when I was pull out of the waitlist, taking a year off was the best decision I ever made.

Hopefully this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.