Potential Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esslem9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So my final 3 semesters of undergrad I pulled out an average of 3.5 gpa (3.0 scgpa) but that only averages my scgpa to a 2.7 and my cum to a 3.0. I plan on taking the DAT and achieving a score around 21-22 hopefully. My main question is what are my chances of getting into a dental school, more specifically Boston University or Tufts University DSchool. The reason for a low GPA in my earlier years was I began my college career with 2 very close deaths in the family the first 2 years and am wondering if this would help my case significantly if it is mentioned. I have shadowed a GD for approximately 50 hours and can obtain plenty of recommendations from professors and dentists. I was told I should consider working as a dental assistant for my year off and applying to schools. I am not sure what to do but my ultimate goal is making it into DSchool and need some guidance on the most effective path.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to say that you will need to do a Masters and get above a 3.7 GPA. Even if you got 25s across the board on the DAT, your GPA is holding you back big time. Find a program and enroll.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have to say that you will need to do a Masters and get above a 3.7 GPA. Even if you got 25s across the board on the DAT, your GPA is holding you back big time. Find a program and enroll.

Is there any place that provides a lists of Masters programs / post bacc around my general area and their reqs. I do not plan on staying at my school for a Masters program since I want to go back home after I graduate. Also if I get high enough DAT scores the first time around, should I retake the DAT after I complete a Masters / Post Bacc program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you can find some programs with success here on the forum. I'm at Barry University doing my masters right now. A lot of their students get into dental school as long as you get above a 3.5 GPA and do the 1 or 1.5 year program. Doing a Masters will raise your BIO score. People who do finish the program always get higher results on the exam. The best thing to do would be to call the schools you want to go and ask them what they recommend. I hate to break it to you, but you need to expand your list of schools. If you want to increase the chances of you becoming a dentist, you will need to apply to several schools and not be so attached to Boston.

Couldn't a URM get in with a 3.0 ogpa and 2.7 sgpa?
I've know of people with lower sgpas get into dental school.

I'm not too sure I classify as an URM, but I am 100% Syrian. I also happen to be in very close contact with a professor at Tufts University who would be more than willing to write me a recommendation.

Couldn't a URM get in with a 3.0 ogpa and 2.7 sgpa?
I've know of people with lower sgpas get into dental school.

Not too sure how forums work, but I replied in the post above.

Pretty much any information would help as I don't know that many pre-dental or dental students. Thank you

So...a 3.5oGPA/3.0sGPA in the semesters that you weren't dealing with personal issues isn't going to mitigate your low cumulative GPA. I'm no adcom, but I don't think you're going to get a lot of leeway either for those 2 years of poor academic performance, despite the personal losses you experienced. Even with a 21-22 DAT, I think you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. If it were me, I would be planning on doing the post-bacc/masters program, instead of banking on the DAT scores pulling me through. I think this becomes especially true for an individual who has a strong preference for a particular school/region. You can refer to the 2014 ADEA guide to get an idea of what stats are competitive to dental schools you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 user