potential dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was on reddit tryin to find a predental forum, but this is the closest I could find. I am going to be a senior this fall and had my mind set on medical school for all of undergrad, up until this point. I am keeping my options open and looking into dentistry. I was wondering if you guys can give me advice as to which direction to take other than the obvious, shadowing dentists.
My gpa is 3.8, major in bio, minor in chem. have one year of research under my belt with no papers or posters. I am a tutor, involved in clubs (president of one), am a big brother for BBBS, started my own business (real small gig on the side), volunteered at hospital for semester, and volunteered in a clinic for underserved for one summer. I plan to get more clinical volunteer hours (any recommendations are welcomed). Tell me what I need to add and I know I need to kill the DAT exam already.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow a general dentist for at least 100 hours and get a committee letter for your app. Check with your school's pre-health advisory department about the committee process
we do not have a pre-health advisory. so i cant do a committee letter

we do not have a pre-health advisory. so i cant do a committee letter
You don't need a committee letter. Schools offer two choices, either a committee letter or 3-4 letters from various teachers/employers/mentors etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow a general dentist for at least 100 hours and get a committee letter for your app. Check with your school's pre-health advisory department about the committee process

To piggy back on this, get a killer letter of rec from the dentist.

Another thing I might add, does your undergrad have a dental school? Are you close to one? Most schools offer some sort of pre dent sim courses. They basically take your money and let you play dental student for a weekend. Does that translate into an acceptance? It's debatable, but at least you get to meet some big wigs.

You don't need a committee letter. Schools offer two choices, either a committee letter or 3-4 letters from various teachers/employers/mentors etc...
okay thanks. i should have those covered, dont know how strong they will be tho

To piggy back on this, get a killer letter of rec from the dentist.

Another thing I might add, does your undergrad have a dental school? Are you close to one? Most schools offer some sort of pre dent sim courses. They basically take your money and let you play dental student for a weekend. Does that translate into an acceptance? It's debatable, but at least you get to meet some big wigs.
hahah unfortunately, no dental school near me. closest is about 2 hrs away, but not associated with a uni. Ill try to see if they will offer if money is shown to them ...thanks

hahah unfortunately, no dental school near me. closest is about 2 hrs away, but not associated with a uni. Ill try to see if they will offer if money is shown to them ...thanks
Usually they have a date for it. Check out the ADEA page for that school.

Reactions: 1 user
okay thanks. i should have those covered, dont know how strong they will be tho
Don't stress too much about the "strength" of a LOR. Just ask professors or dentists that you have a good relationship with. If they know you and like you, they'll undoubtably be happy to write a great letter for you

Reactions: 1 user